Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 01:31 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehopper View Post
Well, we left Central/Almost Western NY last Saturday morning with below zero here... Enjoyed the wonderful almost 60 on Sunday in Knoxville for sure! Then there was Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday! We spoke with quite a few that wanted to make sure we knew the weather wasn't the norm... We checked the forecast and packed accordingly, so not a problem for us... We came back on Thursday when it was starting to warm back up again.

We looked at quite a few apartments and houses all around Knoxville and what I like to call "the loop" (640) and ended up choosing Steeple Chase Apartments that was only 2 minutes from Best Western that we were staying. Go figure! I haven't signed a lease yet, so this would be a great time to let me know anything to be aware of in the meantime... Thank you

We drove out to Maryville, parts west down I40, west up I40, and east past Sevierville. We realized/confirmed we liked being closer to the "Big City" was actually nice. Not what we would believe from past experiences elsewhere! I know I read that Knoxville is not like a city as much as a large town... we had to prove it to ourselves, of course. Really cool!!!

With current plan, we'll be there Feb 19th to start our next 25 years (25th anniversary on Feb 1) together and the excitement is building indeed!!!
I'm glad you both had a better experience this time with your visit. Hope all goes well in your move! Can you bring me some hard Rolls when you come again? Please? I miss them.
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Default Tellico Village (area) thoughts

Well, we're back home as well after a nice week (albeit COLD) in the Knox area. Tellico Lake area was nice, the only "downside" if you will is digesting all the fees to live there. I understand and like that it's an ala carte type HOA which we've never seen before. Interesting concept although on first blush it can feel like you're being nickel and dime'd to death until you understand it's better than paying one huge HOA fee for things you don't want.

Naturally had to hit Costco and Pot Belly which I highly recommend by the way. Oh, one jewel that nobody told me about was the Regal Theaters at Turkey Creek. WOW! Leather seats in the RDX theater? REALLY???
Add self serve soda and fro-yo? I'm wanting to move just for that!

Took a little trip over to Pigeon Forge, had to get a bag of grits and a jar of honey from The Old Mill and certainly had to have lunch while there. Best corn fritters I've had in ages!!! We were amazed at how that area has changed since we were there about 2-5 years ago. New things popped up all over though it's starting to look a bit tacky with all the neon and bright colored tourist stores.

All in all Tellico will be a place that we'll keep in the top spot when we're ready to go.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:41 AM

132 posts, read 191,742 times
Default waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I'm glad you both had a better experience this time with your visit. Hope all goes well in your move! Can you bring me some hard Rolls when you come again? Please? I miss them.
Pam
Thanks Pam! We hope to hear from lawyer today about closing date. Of course, we thought that last week too... All our stuff is done except the buyer's bank is waiting for everything on their side to finish up. Contract put closing for this Thursday... we'll see. In CNY, banks and lawyers are not in a hurry for real estate. There isn't much money in it for them...

I will have to check for the rolls with the wife. Guessing you are talking about the little round ones. We do not get them, but we know a fine bakery nearby...

Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
JimJ...Getting tacky? I always thought that it was pretty neon/schlocky to begin with. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Places like Myrtle Beach and Old Orchard Beach, Maine are very popular places and it is still fun to visit Dollywood which is actually quite tasteful.

Lakehopper, no one believes me when I say it is a small city that feels like a large town until they see it themselves. I always tell the story of being a country gal that never imagined living in a city but after living far out in the county I've stayed in the city limits for five years.

Steeplechase is fine. It's not fancy, just a layover for folks on to something else. That area is okay, nothing great. I used to live in that general area for awhile. Not great choices for restaurants. You'll end up eating downtown/West Side/Bearden/Turkey Creek. The grocery store stinks - it's an Ingle's but the worst one in the area - and there are some housing complexes that don't attract the best element. But you'll be safe enough. I had friends that lived in that complex for awhile. It's affordable and you'll be moving on soon enough. The best part is it is about six minutes to downtown.

For the record, I ended up moving to the west side.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Hard rolls can be bought in a grocery store or a deli. they are what you use to make sandwiches.
It will be here before you know it! Fingers crossed you have the closing soon.
Pam

Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM

[quote=hiknapster;32997084]JimJ...
Quote:
Getting tacky? I always thought that it was pretty neon/schlocky to begin with. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Places like Myrtle Beach and Old Orchard Beach, Maine are very popular places and it is still fun to visit Dollywood which is actually quite tasteful.
Just trying to be diplomatic is all....

I'd second Hik's suggestion of Turkey Creek, Pot Belly and several other great places there as well as a FIRST CLASS movie theater.

On another note, anyone ever drive through the neighborhoods behind Turkey Creek? Around the area of the Catholic School? I've seen some insanely huge neat houses before but even I was impressed!
Who knew it was THAT ritzy there????

Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
JimJ...
Just trying to be diplomatic is all....

I'd second Hik's suggestion of Turkey Creek, Pot Belly and several other great places there as well as a FIRST CLASS movie theater.

On another note, anyone ever drive through the neighborhoods behind Turkey Creek? Around the area of the Catholic School? I've seen some insanely huge neat houses before but even I was impressed!
Who knew it was THAT ritzy there????
Really? That's the tip of the iceberg. Get out much?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Really? That's the tip of the iceberg. Get out much?
I guess not....

Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM

132 posts, read 191,742 times
Default Looks like we made it!!!

Our house finally closed in central NY and we drove all our stuff down this past week... Got to do the apartment thing for a while, but listening to people walk on your ceiling is better than freezing and looking out the window at huge piles of snow for over half the year!

This weather down here is fantastic!!! It did rain pretty good a few nights ago, but no big deal. Time to get licenses and registrations changed so I can get another tag on motorcycle to really enjoy it!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehopper View Post
Our house finally closed in central NY and we drove all our stuff down this past week... Got to do the apartment thing for a while, but listening to people walk on your ceiling is better than freezing and looking out the window at huge piles of snow for over half the year!

This weather down here is fantastic!!! It did rain pretty good a few nights ago, but no big deal. Time to get licenses and registrations changed so I can get another tag on motorcycle to really enjoy it!
Did you bring down that crappy weather that is headed our way?

Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville