Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times

Advertisements

I checked with my source inside the APD on the hiring of the new officers. I also talked with an ex APD that now works at BCSO. (He left APD to go work at BCSO, go figure) There are three positions to be hired. One is already promised to someone and that leaves 2 openings. They have a bunch of applicants but are going to hire from the "outside". The new hires will have to go through all training, even if an officer somewhere else with appropriate credentials.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 22,290 times
Beretta,
You are correct in hiring only two positions, however they will keep your application on file for future hirings and if something were to become available they would not post that they are looking and would pull from the last pool. Hope that makes sense. From my understanding Alcoa pd is paid more that Maryville pd with BCSO in third. As far as which department is better, i think very highly of all three i personally know Sheriff "Jimbo" and Chief Crisp and Burge.

jpbklb, Good luck with your interview this Friday. The best way to get to the Alcoa Public Safety Building is go come Alcoa Hwy south turn left at Shoney's that's Wright rd, when you come to a traffic signal go straight and pd just up the hill on the left.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4pch View Post
Beretta,
You are correct in hiring only two positions, however they will keep your application on file for future hirings and if something were to become available they would not post that they are looking and would pull from the last pool. Hope that makes sense. From my understanding Alcoa pd is paid more that Maryville pd with BCSO in third. As far as which department is better, i think very highly of all three i personally know Sheriff "Jimbo" and Chief Crisp and Burge.

jpbklb, Good luck with your interview this Friday. The best way to get to the Alcoa Public Safety Building is go come Alcoa Hwy south turn left at Shoney's that's Wright rd, when you come to a traffic signal go straight and pd just up the hill on the left.
Maryville pays more but Alcoa usually has more OT available. Maryville and Alcoa are pretty close in pay. BCSO is in third but again, with OT some do well. I still think the op would like working at APD. I love living in Blount County and think we are quite fortunate to have such great pd's. We just had Emergency Personnel Appreciation Day two weekends ago and it was awesome for everyone to get together and have such camaraderie and also see the community back their emergency, fire, police workers across the county. And it was so cute for them to put Dasha on the sweatshirts! We were in Johnson City and some officers saw our shirt and asked about the event. They were super impressed that Blount Countians show such support and were disappointed that the JC community doesn't do anything like that. Sevier Co doesn't do that either that I know of. Again, good luck with the interview. If you are hired here you will be a lucky guy and I think you couldn't find a better place to raise your son.

PS to Kf4, I am a fellow ham. 73's to you.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:04 AM

That's awesome Beretta that your a ham also, there may a good chance that we know one another. Since you know my call then you know my qth (code for the none ham). Like i said I work for the City of Alcoa I do have an Icom IC-251A 2 meter rig on my desk I usually have my work radio on my desk as well, It's programmed with City and 440 frequencies. We should get a qso going over the air sometime, I usually say on 146.655 or 146.940, and 444.075.
I'll have a agree there's no place like Blount County.
73 to you as well.
Johnny

Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 AM

99 posts, read 273,330 times
Ive been to the area several times before, just usually go on east to Sevierville,etc.. Ive just never been to Alcoa or Maryville. I plan on driving straight there and straight back.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 PM

jpbklb,
I just had lunch with the city manager and the city hr manager and they told me that there were four (4) apd positions available and testing begins Friday at 6pm. So that's good news, hr told me that they have narrowed the applications down to 75. That should make the odds a little better for you. best of luck. If you want any other info contact me direct, i don't wanna throw names out on the board.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:01 PM

also how are the bills down there as far as water,electric,etc..?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanx for all the great info. My dad is a Ham operator. I never got into it, yet. : )

Old 11-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Default Clubs

I was also wondering about any Boy Scouts or Boys and Girls Clubs tyhat my son could go to if we lived in Alcoa. Also how is the church scene? I like a church that has lots of activities>

Thanx again

Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
You'll find plenty of activities for your son. The Tuckaleechee council is in Blount.
Tuckaleechee District Website
Boys and Girls clubs have two locations in Blount:
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Tennessee Valley:
And there is an abundance of churches with activities. You won't be bored.
Blount County offers lots of programs:
Parks & Recreation for Maryville, Alcoa and Blount County Home Page
And if you're son is into skateboarding, bring him to Knoxville to the big skate park:
Knoxville Skatepark, Knoxville, TN
Good luck with the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville