Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 43,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
My gut feeling is pool owners with rooftop solar won't gain much/anything going to a variable speed pump unless you can get by running the rooftop solar only a small portion of the day.
I do agree; although those in the biz are bound to disagree; arguably for obvious reasons. So I guess a roof solar set up = death for the VS pump setup. Bummer.

Since I run the solar about 4 months (mid may to Mid Sept) or so, I guess I could factor in some savings for a reduced speed during the other 8 months - but I would still need some fairly high speed for about 2 hours a day for the polaris floor cleaner.

I still worry that at the very low economical speed for, say, that my spa spill-over will look anemic (noting here that my spa spillover cascade effect begins to take in that "anemic" cascade look when my filter gets dirty).

I guess one advantage of a variable speed pump over a dual speed pump is the tweakability of the GPM flow/speed, such that I could bump up the speed to a point less than full, where the spillover still looks good. With a dual speed I would be stuck with one low speed and a weak spillover from the spa. But tweaking too high a speed eats into the efficiency equation. In any event, not being able to have a long run period on the lower speed for the VS has got to wreak havoc on the VS pump's energy saving curve.

I've got to figure this out before it drives me nuts.

May just bite the bullet, buy a 2 speed, put it in and see how things turn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 07:38 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimslaw View Post
I do agree; although those in the biz are bound to disagree; arguably for obvious reasons. So I guess a roof solar set up = death for the VS pump setup. Bummer.

Since I run the solar about 4 months (mid may to Mid Sept) or so, I guess I could factor in some savings for a reduced speed during the other 8 months - but I would still need some fairly high speed for about 2 hours a day for the polaris floor cleaner.

I still worry that at the very low economical speed for, say, that my spa spill-over will look anemic (noting here that my spa spillover cascade effect begins to take in that "anemic" cascade look when my filter gets dirty).

I guess one advantage of a variable speed pump over a dual speed pump is the tweakability of the GPM flow/speed, such that I could bump up the speed to a point less than full, where the spillover still looks good. With a dual speed I would be stuck with one low speed and a weak spillover from the spa. But tweaking too high a speed eats into the efficiency equation. In any event, not being able to have a long run period on the lower speed for the VS has got to wreak havoc on the VS pump's energy saving curve.

I've got to figure this out before it drives me nuts.

May just bite the bullet, buy a 2 speed, put it in and see how things turn out.

If your going 2 speed, go for an AO Smith E+ Centurion 2 speed motor. High speed pulls about 6-7 amps, and low speed 1-2 amps. This might be the best bet for what your trying to do.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM

I appreciate the recommendation, particularly given that my search efforts along the lines of "what's the best 2 speed pump" didn't yield very promising results.

Hope to find it compatible with my 2HP Whisperflo, model WFE-8 (currently has AO Smith motor , 8-177452-03 / CA05-10).

Old 09-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Forgot to ask: Can I replace a 2HP motor with a 1 1/2 motor without chaning out the impeller?

Old 09-05-2010, 01:24 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimslaw View Post
I appreciate the recommendation, particularly given that my search efforts along the lines of "what's the best 2 speed pump" didn't yield very promising results.

Hope to find it compatible with my 2HP Whisperflo, model WFE-8 (currently has AO Smith motor , 8-177452-03 / CA05-10).
You need a square flange motor for a wisperflo. I think the 2 speed motors have an extra wire to kick up/down the speeds. I think a 1 1/2 and 2 HP motor uses the same impeller, while the 3 HP uses a different one.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 AM

8 posts, read 50,823 times
Default Our pump motor just died, advice please

Ours just died a few days ago. It's a regular hayward 1 or 2 speed. We have just a regular square/bean pool, probably 12-15k (I don't have all the specs in front of me). I think the pump/motor was put in brand new about 6 years ago. We had the capacitor replaced about 6 months ago. We don't have spa, heater, solar, etc.. only pool (and manual vacuum). I think our motor is a 1.5 or 2 hp one, and I know our friend/handyman said it was probably too much than needed, but went with that for some reason. We want to fix/replace for as cheap as possible. But also want to save on electrical costs. Thanks in advance.
Note: our handyman left, so we have to hire someone, or I can possibly try putting in new motor (I saw it done on youtube and think I MIGHT be able to do it!).

Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,484 times
Red face Variable Speed Pool Pump?

Curious how old that pump was…the existing energy usage and age should play into the cost factor. Doesn't a pump only need to run 6 to 8 hours a day? I’m not convinced the Variable Speed pumps save money running all the time when at really low flow rates the skimmers don’t skim, the vacuum won’t vacuum, and the filter won’t filter yet the motor is drawing energy and vibrating 24/7. No one mentions the wear data. Seems pretty easy math to me.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,142 times
Not sure what kind of pumps you are looking at. My pool was built with a two-speed motor, and when the motor failed it cost me about $450 to replace the motor, including installation.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
Go to pentairs site and use the calculator. I run variable speed and save at least $50 a month

Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,055 times
I don't need my vacuum running 6-8 hours a day. I run the pump at a higher RPM for 2 hours a day to skim off the surface.

The filter action is based on flow rate which occurs regardless of single or variable speed.

My variable speed pump may be vibrating all day (actually mine runs 14 hours a day), but it is running far less hot than my single speed. That plays into wear as well.

I save lots with the variable, $30-$40 a month. Pool is just as clean/clear as it always has been, no extra work on my part. It does seem pretty easy math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COmom View Post
Curious how old that pump was…the existing energy usage and age should play into the cost factor. Doesn't a pump only need to run 6 to 8 hours a day? I’m not convinced the Variable Speed pumps save money running all the time when at really low flow rates the skimmers don’t skim, the vacuum won’t vacuum, and the filter won’t filter yet the motor is drawing energy and vibrating 24/7. No one mentions the wear data. Seems pretty easy math to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas