Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times

Advertisements

We got our smart meters earlier this month. They look better, but I don't trust them totally yet. I will be referring to the years previous bill for each month to compare them. We are conserving even more now, so it had better well reflect the savings and go down a little. But on the other hand, it won't, because they raised the rates yet again and they will keep doing it until someone replaces the boneheads in the PUC that keep approving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
its going to be a vicious circle...raise rates..consumers cut back. NV energy cant make enough money with the consumer cutbacks so raise rates again ...on and on and on. They are going to be filing for another rate increase on June 1, 2011 also.

water company saying the same thing. people arent using enough water so they're looking into raising rates also.

consumers always seem to get the short end of the stick..investors want ROI so ratepayers have to pay up. guess we should all go and buy some utility stocks.

I wonder... if we all get together and sign a petition to NVenergy that we all promise to use 20% more electricity this summer than last if they would lower rates accordingly?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
I wonder... if we all get together and sign a petition to NVenergy that we all promise to use 20% more electricity this summer than last if they would lower rates accordingly?
Actually they would have a very good argument against it. That 20% would be peak power which is vastly more expensive than the rest. Likely half again as expensive to acquire as the average.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:29 AM

412 posts, read 915,809 times
Is there benefit over-insulating their attic if you have a home built in the last 10 years that already meets minimum code for level of insulation?
I wonder if you could ever recoup the cost of installing the extra insulation with lower summer cooling bills?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I just got the letter today that they will be installing my new meter some time this month.

I can't help but wonder what it would cost to put in just enough solar to defray the cost of the AC and pool filter.

Also, what's the life of those solar systems? Is there constant maintenance or equipment failures?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,147 times
We have purchased energy saving appliances for home and we are getting the results we wanted, lower energy bills but unfortunately the greedy NV Energy will be raising rates soon. For the last few months our energy bill was a little over $40.00 for a 960 sq ft condo. NO AC just yet, our unit is surrounded by mature trees so it is cool and comfortable inside, day and night.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
We have purchased energy saving appliances for home and we are getting the results we wanted, lower energy bills but unfortunately the greedy NV Energy will be raising rates soon. For the last few months our energy bill was a little over $40.00 for a 960 sq ft condo. NO AC just yet, our unit is surrounded by mature trees so it is cool and comfortable inside, day and night.
After doing my energy adjustments, last month was $85 for a 3 floor, 2500sf, with a pool and the ac on 4 days

Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
My last bill was $47 for a 3900 sq ft, 2-story house, the bill before that was $56 (this was with visitors staying with us for two of the four weeks).

Most of my energy savings have come from eliminating "always on" electricity use. VCRs, DVRs and old CRT televisions use quite a bit of electricity even when turned off. I finally eliminated my last CRT TV (My LCDs use nearly nothing when off).

All my appliances are energy saving and were purchased within the last year. My house was built in 2006 and has excellent insulation as well as double paned low-E windows throughout.

I don't have a pool and we keep the AC set to 78, it only clicked on about 4 days in the last month.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
My last bill was $47 for a 3900 sq ft, 2-story house, the bill before that was $56 (this was with visitors staying with us for two of the four weeks).

Most of my energy savings have come from eliminating "always on" electricity use. VCRs, DVRs and old CRT televisions use quite a bit of electricity even when turned off. I finally eliminated my last CRT TV (My LCDs use nearly nothing when off).

All my appliances are energy saving and were purchased within the last year. My house was built in 2006 and has excellent insulation as well as double paned low-E windows throughout.

I don't have a pool and we keep the AC set to 78, it only clicked on about 4 days in the last month.

Yes it helps lower energy bills unplugging electronic items in the house. So far we have replaced the washer/dryer and the water heater. It definitely made a difference. Next on our list the ancient fridge and the dishwasher. Our electric bill for the last 6 months have been a little over $40 each month. It could be lower if my friend stops using the dryer everytime he wants to get the wrinkles out of his clothes. AC usage at home is very minimal and we have yet to turn it on this year. Always cool inside the condo and those mature trees really help cool the area.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
After doing my energy adjustments, last month was $85 for a 3 floor, 2500sf, with a pool and the ac on 4 days
Over at my sister's house in Spring Valley, single story 3 bedroom house with pool pumps/ac running, 2 fridge one inside and one in the garage(a definite NO if you want to save on electricity) her bill last month was only $75.00 but that will change in a very short time courtesy of NV Energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas