Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:23 AM

13 posts, read 39,334 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting the Las Vegas area in about a month from now and I am planning on checking out some of the neighbourhoods. I noticed that there are several 'gated communities', meaning that there is some kind of checkpoint; with or without a guard (guard-gated vs. gated). I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether it is possible to drive through these gated communities? I do not expect this for the guard-gated ones, so: is this possible for the gated ones? Are most of the gated communities non-guarded?

Thank you in advance,

Joost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:00 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,438 times
Most are non-guard gated. The guard gated ones usually have MUCH higher HOA fees.

As for driving through the typical gated communities without knowing the code, just idle near the gate for a couple minutes and then drive in behind the first person who pulls up and punches the code. That's what everyone does. Great security, eh?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Yeah -- gated communities accomplish exactly one thing. They reduce "lookyloo" traffic in the area. Reduce is the operative word. Not eliminate. Anyone who wants to get into a gated community can.

That being said, I'm going to bring up installing a gate at the next owner's meeting. We've got a nearby school, and people have taken to driving through the neighborhood as an alternate route.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
Pretty sure you cannot just install a gate in an existing community as every gated community I've seen has private streets. I'm not sure you could gate off public streets, which you probably currently have.

And have you seen the upkeep cost of gates? It's a lot more expensive than I would have expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Yeah -- gated communities accomplish exactly one thing. They reduce "lookyloo" traffic in the area. Reduce is the operative word. Not eliminate. Anyone who wants to get into a gated community can.

That being said, I'm going to bring up installing a gate at the next owner's meeting. We've got a nearby school, and people have taken to driving through the neighborhood as an alternate route.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Advising someone to wait at a closed gate for a resident to open it and then sneak in, is advising them to break the law. That's private property. You'd be trespassing. The streets in most gated communities are the property and responsibility of the owners.

The proper way to see one is to get a realtor to show you homes inside the gate, or get an invitation from an owner. Otherwise the gate means stay the he** out.

If you live in an HOA that doesn't have a gate, it is perfectly OK for the owners to vote on putting one in. Gates don't stop crime, but apparently they do slow it down, and sometimes make it not worth the trouble. I see people sneak in our gate because the homes are unusual and people are curious, but I have been known to follow them around and give them mean looks.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM

Hey, since you're in a gated community, what is the annual cost of maintaining the gate?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
IF there is no gate and access is not restricted then the CITY takes care of the Street Maintenance....IF you restrict that access with a gate, then the HOA is now responsible for all upkeep to the street....cleaning....repairs....accident investigation....everything.....

Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Hey, since you're in a gated community, what is the annual cost of maintaining the gate?
I don't know, but it hasn't been that bad. The president of the board is in charge of it and he ******* about it whenever something breaks down. But we've never had a problem with maintenance, and our dues aren't very high. I think wind is the worst problem with ours.

When I was on vacation a while back, our dog sitter forgot the code, and had to get someone to let her in. I heard about it when I got back. Neighbors just worried that someone was pulling a scam on us.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
IF there is no gate and access is not restricted then the CITY takes care of the Street Maintenance....IF you restrict that access with a gate, then the HOA is now responsible for all upkeep to the street....cleaning....repairs....accident investigation....everything.....
Oh, screw that then. We don't have enough residents to justify the cost.

EDIT -- I REALLY wish I could do something about the speed-demon parents screaming down our street to drop their miserable little bastards off at school. Ever since they figured out they could bypass the traffic jam on Hollywood Blvd by cutting through our neighborhood, it's been hell from 7:30-9am on school days.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
If youre Jerry Lewis and Steve Wynn [Scotch 80's]you can get all the roads in n out except for two well hidden ones gated and then its still the cities responsibility but for us peones its one or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: