Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 AM

6,820 posts, read 11,553,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Agreed.......incentive to take the "Scenic Route"
Or "we're going to take the freeway because there's a wreck on Paradise/Tropicana/Flamingo/whatever" when going to the Strip. I fell for that a couple times but now I tell them I'll just take my chances and not to take the freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
I had a friend, back when I drove, that picked up some travelers at the airport.....they wanted to go to the DUNES.....he drove out of the airport...left on Trop...onto the fwy...as they approached the Dunes he started pointing to the west and telling them that was where a couple of John Wayne Movies had been filmed....[being Japanese, about the only thing they understood was JOHN WAYNE] passed the Dunes and down I-15 to the Expressway [now called I-95 and it ended at Las Vegas blvd] Right on Las Vegas Blvd allllll the way to the Dunes Hotel. Cab fare was $30 some dollars back in the day when the trip SHOULD have been $5.95.

So this long routing is NOT a new thing.....

Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
So, I had the pleasure to use Desert Cab, to take me from my house, 10 miles to the depot to pick up my car.
The fare (minus tip) was $30.00 (aprox)

Now I come from NYC and am no stranger to high cab fares,
but for such a SMALL distance, is such a sprawled out town?

I did some research, and Las Vegas ranked SECOND Highest cab fare in the USA

Whats your thoughts?

Jonathan

Old 12-28-2011, 11:56 AM

18 posts, read 44,320 times
Long hauling is common among all the cab companies in Vegas. If you get picked up at the airport and the driver asks if it's your first trip to Vegas, tell him no. . .you've been here tons of times, even if you haven't. If he takes the tunnel, you're being long hauled.

Lots of drivers long haul from downtown to the strip as well. Get the driver's TA permit number (it's right there on his permit, displayed prominently to his right), the cab number and call the TA and report the driver. 702-668-4000

Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
When I went to NJ to live [if you can call NJ living.] after driving cab for 8 years here.....I came back on business about 3 mos later.... told the Driver to take me to the Golden Nugget then sat back n relaxed....as he drove me all around the town.... we got to the GN and the fare was $31.05...[should have been $7.95] I threw $8 on the seat n said here....keep the change.....he sputtered n spit.... I told him to call the TA....and said "Ask for Tom he knows me.".....I never knew ANYONE could turn that RED in the Face without exploding.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,364 times
Cab fares in Vegas are high. I can only guess that they are trying to make up for the incredibly short trips that they usually take. In other cities you are usually commuting a good distance and aren't driving your own car for some reason. In Vegas, it's just to go a few blocks because you have no car. They live of off tourists and have to either do a lot of volume of short trips, or make up for it by doing long hauls.

I've been long hauled two or three times. They act like they are taking the best route when you call them on it, drives me crazy. The other trick when they know I'm local and know what the fare should be is they say "oh, I forgot to turn on the meter! Can you just pay me what you normally pay for this trip?". Then they just pocket the cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: