Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Interesting! It's funny how I rarely see anyone use sunshades. I always do when it's hot so I can touch my steering wheel without burning my skin. I also have a beach towel in the car when it's hot...hot seats in a convertible and all
I see them all the time in Las Vegas. Rarely ever in Detroit. But, it is cloudy
a lot of the days here and the humidity is worse than the sun! I don't really care what color my vehicles are. Not an interest to me, but now that I think of it, I have a silver one (not a fan) and the Sebring in Las Vegas looks silver but it is really some silvery green color. Before that, I had a green Explorer and a blue Explorer. Never gave it much thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 12:44 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,920 times
I believe black cars have higher rate of accidents too.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Does anyone use the windshield cover things? You know, the sunshade things you put up inside your car when you park? They do make a difference.
We always use it, and it definitely helps tremendously. And this is in a silver blue car.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
You can usually put your hand on a white car, but you'd lose all the skin if you touched a black car in our summer sun. I generally only buy white cars, but our new one is a greenish grey ...I think. It's not black, but it does get a lot hotter than our white car.

Years ago my buddy and I used to laugh at the fact he bought a black Corvette convertable (with A/C when A/C wasn't standard). Didn't see a lot of black cars here in those days, and seldom a convertable with A/C, so it was kind of ironic ...but ya hadda be there I guess...

Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Does anyone use the windshield cover things? You know, the sunshade things you put up inside your car when you park? They do make a difference.
Everyone uses them here, but the silver ones only make it hotter. The one we have used in all our cars for several years is an accordion type that is permanent mounted on each side of the W/S. It sticks together in the middle with Velcro. It doesn't get hot itself like the usual sunshades do, so it's almost like parking in the shade.

Many people here (I never think about it until I burn my hands) keep a towel in the car to put over the steering wheel too. Or when they leave the house they take a wet rag to cool off the wheel.

It also helps a whole lot to install sheepskin seat covers.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:15 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You can usually put your hand on a white car, but you'd lose all the skin if you touched a black car in our summer sun. I generally only buy white cars, but our new one is a greenish grey ...I think. It's not black, but it does get a lot hotter than our white car.

Years ago my buddy and I used to laugh at the fact he bought a black Corvette convertable (with A/C when A/C wasn't standard). Didn't see a lot of black cars here in those days, and seldom a convertable with A/C, so it was kind of ironic ...but ya hadda be there I guess...
My convertible has AC of course and I have driven with it blasting and the top down on really hot days. Ive also driven with the top down and heat on. Makes sense to me lol

Old 05-25-2012, 05:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Looking at cars and considering black. Is that just stupidity with the weather here in Vegas? Fwiw the car would be sitting outside all day while at work. My business associate with a black car tells me don't do it. Thoughts?
If you want a black car then buy a black car. Find out from the dealer if there is any sort of protection in the paint for cars in the Vegas area, there could very well be. Also look online, I can't believe that cars that go to Vegas don't get some kind of special paint treatment just because of the weather. How long total time will the car be in the sun? Do your research and I am sure you will be fine.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Everyone uses them here, but the silver ones only make it hotter. The one we have used in all our cars for several years is an accordion type that is permanent mounted on each side of the W/S. It sticks together in the middle with Velcro. It doesn't get hot itself like the usual sunshades do, so it's almost like parking in the shade.

Many people here (I never think about it until I burn my hands) keep a towel in the car to put over the steering wheel too. Or when they leave the house they take a wet rag to cool off the wheel.

It also helps a whole lot to install sheepskin seat covers.
The sunshade I have has a pattern on the outside and is black on the inside. I know its not the desert sun but it has never been hot to the touch even on days over 100. The interior of my car sure stays a lot cooler. Remember when those first came out and they were cardboard? They had all kinds of goofy designs on them. Mine had giant cat eyes so it looked like a huge cat was in the car lol

Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 AM

29 posts, read 162,099 times
life is short, drive what you want to drive and ignore what people think. I always love the darker color car because of the great reflection and not the usual boring color like white or silver.. Also, keep a good clean car always turn head on the street.

My car is got black leather interior. Does it get hot? Yup sure does, but after 2 minutes with the A/C on blast, everything is nice and cold. If your A/C doesnt get cold, refill it with freon.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
But mine has no eyelashes. She used to wear a bra but it caused uneven sun-fade on the paint job.
Try a clear bra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas