Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,389 times

Advertisements

Thanks Pink, Yellow (sounds like a scene from Reservoir Dogs )

That's very reassuring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
I never feel in danger when we visit Las Vegas. Although when we walk at night, I am aware there are very few people doing the same. Some of the things I read here on the LV thread make me think. Obviously, the people who live here know better than me.

The only little incident that comes to mind, is when I visited LV with my son last year. We were stood outside Sam's Town, waiting for the lights to change so we could cross the road. An open top car passed us very slowly with four young men in it. All four just stared at us, a real long stare. They drove on, and we crossed. But I got the feeling we had just been weighed up!!

Judy and I stayed at the Cabana suites at the El Cortez last year, walked up from there to the California, or MSS at night, no problems. When the Sahara was still open, we'd come out of there late at night. Wait at the bus stop for the Deuce, everything OK. A few strange people at the bus stop sometimes. I guess it's just the lack of other people walking about at night in areas away from the main strip, and Fremont Street that is a bit unnerving.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:35 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times
I would think crossing the highways is more dangerous more people are killed doing this than they are walking the streets of LV.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I never feel in danger when we visit Las Vegas. Although when we walk at night, I am aware there are very few people doing the same. Some of the things I read here on the LV thread make me think. Obviously, the people who live here know better than me.

The only little incident that comes to mind, is when I visited LV with my son last year. We were stood outside Sam's Town, waiting for the lights to change so we could cross the road. An open top car passed us very slowly with four young men in it. All four just stared at us, a real long stare. They drove on, and we crossed. But I got the feeling we had just been weighed up!!

Judy and I stayed at the Cabana suites at the El Cortez last year, walked up from there to the California, or MSS at night, no problems. When the Sahara was still open, we'd come out of there late at night. Wait at the bus stop for the Deuce, everything OK. A few strange people at the bus stop sometimes. I guess it's just the lack of other people walking about at night in areas away from the main strip, and Fremont Street that is a bit unnerving.
Though I felt safe in LV, keep in mind that you are less likely to feel threatened because you are male. Females walking alone are considered to be "easy targets" . Yes, random acts of violence happen to men, but as a man you can't understand how you can feel threatened just being a girl

Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Tourists in tourist areas have nothing to worry about. We take care of you. You are our bread and butter.

We were discussing walking in and about the areas close to our homes.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,309 times
I only walk my dog at night, all over my neighborhood. I have never had any problems

Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Tourists in tourist areas have nothing to worry about. We take care of you. You are our bread and butter.

We were discussing walking in and about the areas close to our homes.
I walked some neighborhoods too

And my comment about a man not being as vulnerable as a woman applies anywhere

Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Buzz, I am not sure I agree..I believe (and this is MY belief) that you go when it's your turn to go...no matter WHAT you have done.. Look at all the fitness people over the years who have died doing the right thing.... And then you look at George Burns - just shy of his 100th birthday and he smokes cigars and drinks martinis at lunch and then he falls in the tub and hits his head and ends up dying... He didn't die of his habits just an accident....

I have had numerous surgeries and broken bones and been in quite a few accidents in my life.. Even had heart surgery in 1961 when I was 3.. I am still here...Lens implants in my eyes...Still here...All my ribs busted at least once..some 2 or 3 times..Still here... Have been in auto accidents where I dented the metal door frame with my head and have had 2nd degree sunburn twice in my younger life....Still here...

I eat red meat and love it.. Love other food as well and have a sweet tooth at times..I am still here....I also have type 2 diabetes due to my inactivity and constraints of my job (never had diabetes before until i acquired this job and will be retiring soon and will be working on my inactivity during the day)....

I have NEVER smoked nor do I drink but vary occasionally.... I have been around cigarette smoke my entire life and do not put a lot of stock in the second hand smoke thing... There have been numerous times I could have died, but I figure it ain't my time yet...

So while I know you think i am helping myself die sooner, I think just the opposite...
I disagree with your disagreement of my agreement. I don't believe in predestination, fate, Divine Providence or doom. In fact I don't believe anything unless I know it for sure. And I'm pretty sure we create our own destiny. So why not make it comfortable and make last as long as we are enjoying it? I am also reasonably sure that when a person wants to go he will, usually unconsciously, find a way to drop the body and leave it behind. But as long as you're here, if you take care of your body it will give you better service. If you don't, it's for sure you will probably have a lot of unhappiness before you finally give up the ghost. There are notable exceptions though, like my uncle who smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish from about 8 years old. Then in his late 80s he died from rolling off a couch in his sleep and hitting his head on a table.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:04 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
I only walk my dog at night, all over my neighborhood. I have never had any problems
How is Cujo anyway?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I walked some neighborhoods too

And my comment about a man not being as vulnerable as a woman applies anywhere
That's always true.

When I'm alone, I'm aware. When I'm with my SO or in a group, I don't pay nearly as much attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: