Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,258 times

Advertisements

This might be a stupid question. I'm just wondering, if you live in Las Vegas, but have also lived somewhere else...is Las Vegas better than that/those other place(s)? What are the perks and drawbacks that nobody tells you about?
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
My biggest peave would be the amount of neighborhoods that are poorly kept. I've lived in a few different cities and states and I'm dumfounded at the amount of people that dont take care of their houses/yards here. I think some of it may be due to the lower class transient type that come and go but either way, it's irritating to see.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
My biggest peave would be the amount of neighborhoods that are poorly kept. I've lived in a few different cities and states and I'm dumfounded at the amount of people that dont take care of their houses/yards here. I think some of it may be due to the lower class transient type that come and go but either way, it's irritating to see.
Which side of town are you talking about? There are areas in the valley that are flooded with new homes, new streets, new businesses, new everything. Then there is the vice versa. A couple of blocks of low income then things start looking up as you drive out from the middle.

If you start from the center of Vegas and drive east, west, north or south, neighborhoods will get better and better.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
I left because I wanted more urban neighborhoods with variety, pro sports teams, more weather variety, and a more diverse economy/job market. Other "disappointments" to me were all the scenic mountains around but not really any mountain towns or scenic roads through them and the political environment is so toxic a sane person can do nothing else but ignore it.

The perks to me were low taxes and cost of living, fairly easy traffic to navigate, always new stuff opening around town, great airport with flights going everywhere and driving distance to San Diego.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM

186 posts, read 434,327 times
I prefer urban environments with old, ornate and/or bungalow type architecture (Chicago). We don't have that obviously. Though I'm trying to learn to appreciate mid century/modern (if that's what it's called). And the style of housing when you get out of the mid-range developments can be pretty cool.

I miss the big museums & theaters. The night life is pretty vapid in general, though I'm sure there are places that aren't. Since I don't partake in night life much anymore that's irrelevant to me.

I miss green - the trees/grass. The smell of green after rain. Thunderstorms are a rare treat here. The grass/trees that are here make me feel guilty LOL

Medical care can be difficult.

Overall I love it here and don't have any strong intentions of moving away. The weather isn't miserable, the people are nicer, the service is better. No humidity, less bugs. Lower cost of living. A surprise was that you can garden here. And desert landscaping can be quite beautiful. Oh - the sunsets (and sunrises) can be more amazing than I've ever seen ANYWHERE. The cloud patterns against the mountains are really cool. You don't have to go too far to get away from most people.

I don't think I'm posting anything new here... I think Chicago is a beautiful city, but Vegas has it's own beauty.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamaski View Post
This might be a stupid question. I'm just wondering, if you live in Las Vegas, but have also lived somewhere else...is Las Vegas better than that/those other place(s)? What are the perks and drawbacks that nobody tells you about?
Thanks,
I lived in San Diego for awhile. years ago. The weather was/is my biggest concern in Vegas. It's hot as hell in the summer and cold as ice in the winter here in Vegas.

The drawbacks: you miss the green. Vegas is a desert and you see mostly dirt and brown-ness everywhere. In contrast, when I go back to San Diego every so often, the green is so wonderful I almost forgot it existed.

Perks: Great new housing communities. The newer parts of Vegas are modern homes and buildings, no more run-down old communities (in comparison to downtown San Diego or other parts of San Diego).
Another perk is most stores and businesses are open 24 hours. A suburb in San Diego(Chula Vista) everything closes at 10pm or so and its quite a boring place after hours. Knowing 24 hour stores are open, its great. (I realize not all stores are 24/7, but a fair amount is good enough).

Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 PM

932 posts, read 2,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
It's hot as hell in the summer and cold as ice in the winter here in Vegas.
Let's see if the previous poster, who apparently is from Chicago, agrees with you that it's "cold as ice" here. I would guess not.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
Let's see if the previous poster, who apparently is from Chicago, agrees with you that it's "cold as ice" here. I would guess not.
Agreed. We were there during the second week of January, with record-cold days that didn't get out of the 30s. Still was better than god-forsaken New England (where were going on 91 hours below freezing at the moment, with 91 more to go according to the local news). And I certainly didn't see a lack of trees in LV. But they were PALM trees. Know what palm trees mean? No snow. I'll take it!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
You live in the middle of a desert, with nothing around for miles. Also, too much cigarette smoking, and too many homeless people who decided to come here from another place. Also, you live in a big crowded tourist trap. Too much crime, burglaries, robberies, violence. Extremely hot! Sometimes in the upper 90's and its almost midnight.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,658 times
The heat is one of the best parts IMHO. We moved here from Vermont where my family still resides. I spoke to my sister yesterday it was -13 (45 degrees below freezing!) Today it's a balmy 8 degrees. I don't miss that one bit and never complain about the weather here in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas