Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,529 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Vegas for a year and will be working at Nellis AFB. Where would be a safe area that is close to Nellis to rent a condo? I don't have kids so dont care about schools. I would like a pet friendly area since I do have a Bulldog. Also close to a 24 hour fit or Golds would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 05:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Manzanita condominiums. Right down the street. And there is a brand new state of the art gym on base.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 04-30-2013, 06:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Manzanita condominiums. Right down the street. And there is a brand new state of the art gym on base.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
SAFE?

Would you go jogging in that neighborhood after dark? That is without carrying?.

If one is cautious, streetwise and reasonably tough you could make it there..

Otherwise west of 15.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
As the resident cheerleader for Sunrise Manor, I suggest finding a house for rent east of Hollywood, and somewhere between Owens and Charleston. Quick commute to work. Most neighbors are either Air Force or retired Air Force (or LDS). Safe. Quiet. And a great bang for the buck.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
Quiet except when the jets are going Mach 3.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Quiet except when the jets are going Mach 3.
For at least the third time, I'm telling you that if someone lives right up against the mountain, east of Hollywood, jet noise simply IS NOT AN ISSUE.

I live here, remember? We get a parade of tourist helicopters coming back from the Grand Canyon every evening, but it's barely noticeable. And there are MANY regulars who have lived in this area at one time or another who will back me up on this.

Once you get to Sloan and points west of Sloan, Sunrise is basically a suburb of Juarez. That doesn't bother me. And it doesn't bother my neighbors. Gives the area some character. But a lot of people aren't comfortable with having Juarez-North a couple miles from their front door -- thus the mass exodus in the 1990s.

But jet noise from Nellis? There is none. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I leave the windows open all day and if there was any, I'd be the first to warn people. Red Flag exercises? No jet noise. Nellis Air Show? No jet noise.

The box of maximum peace and quiet starts at Owens, and runs down to Vegas Valley, but must be east of Hollywood. That is the butter zone for Sunrise. I wouldn't consider living in Sunrise if not in that box.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM

I'm not trying to scare anyone Scoop but when the jets are out, they are loud. Perhaps they are not sortied everyday. When they are, they are all over the north/north-east side of town from Lake Mead & Nellis to Losee & 215.

He's an airman though, if anyone should have to put up with the noise it should be him, right?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM

And you have described an area that is out of my box. Frenchman's Mountain and Sunrise Mountain work like gigantic highway barriers. There is no jet noise in the box I described. Even on "sortie city" days, I don't hear any jet noise. None. I would be Johnny-On-the-Spot complaining about jet noise if there was any. There isn't.

Remember, Owens to Vegas Valley, east of Hollywood. Go north, south or west of that box, and you'll hear planes (either the commercial jets flying over Sunset, or the jets at Nellis. But inside the box, Forest Lawn.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 PM

I guess if you stay in that area you described(I drew it in blue) you may not hear it. I have no idea because I'm not in that part of town often. Here's a picture to give you an idea how small the area that you described is and how large the area I described was. I'm sure the noise can be heard even outside the perimeter I drew but this gives you an idea of how much of the town is along the jets' flight path.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM

Yes, your blue box is correct. Rent a house (or preferably buy one there), and it's nothing but peace and quiet. We've been here for almost seven years and have never, ever been disturbed by jets. We're too far south and east of Nellis to hear anything. And we're too far north of Sunset to hear the commercial traffic en route to McCarran.

And the area you outlined in blue is inexpensive, with big houses and large yards. It's a quick commute to Nellis. If you search around enough, you can find a place with a COMMANDING view of the Strip. The only down side to living in the blue box is that it's considerably hotter here than it is butted up against the Spring Mountains on the extreme west edge of town. But that's quite a commute.

As far as "bang for the buck" is concerned, that blue box is the best in the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: