Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM

17 posts, read 56,764 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is in the Air Force and has orders to move to Las Vegas, so we're getting ready to move out there. I'm in need of some reassurance however, because in all honesty Las Vegas was not exactly on my list of "top 10 places to live"

I've never been to Vegas, so all I've seen of it is movies like "The Hangover" and "Oceans 11" which I'm sure are not the entire city, but it's all that pops into my mind. And then I look up crime and school statistics which just makes my nervous feelings worse, and I end up very cranky about moving... Especially because I grew up in the midwest in one of those tiny towns where everyone knows everyone, and while I've since lived in bigger cities, Las Vegas will definitely be a drastic change for me.

The nice thing is I work in a professional field with excellent job prospects, so we'll be able to afford a nice place and I shouldn't have to worry about not having work.

What suggestions would people have of places to start looking for rental houses where the scary crime stats I look up won't keep me freaked out at night (btw - with him in the military I'll be solo in the house often and I'm a great big chicken). We have no children, so schools aren't a huge concern. Mainly I'm looking for an area where I can feel safe walking our dogs by myself, and not have to worry about getting the house broken into. My boyfriend is ok with having a long drive to work, so no need to be right by Nellis, which I've seen mentioned as an area to avoid.

Also - any suggestions of outdoor activities for weekends? We're living in Colorado right now and LOVE camping in the mountains, so any good camping suggestions (especially if there's trees)?

Just any advice people have that can make me less nervous would be greatly appreciated. We plan on taking a trip out there before we move to look at houses, but can't really get out there until right before we'll need to move, so that trip won't help much in making me less nervous until then.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:19 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
Desert Shores at Buffalo & Regatta

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
My advice would be for you guys to get married first before any major plans or moves. As a 14 year Air Force member, I have seen these situations not play out so well.

I have seen it a dozen times where a guy brings his girlfriend to come live with him in Vegas. The girlfriend does not like Vegas but compromise because of "love" or the hope for marriage. The guy gets deployed for 6 months, girl is miserable and gives the ultimatum of "marry me or I am leaving".

I work with two of these situations now.

Good luck.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM

526 posts, read 832,975 times
Listen to VON he knows the area and the military, even though in his post it sounds like he is a bigamist...

Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,867 times
Why do you need reassurance? Your BF already has military orders so he already has chosen his next assignment. Take Von's advice as he is on the right track or take your chances. Who knows, you just might like it here and find a good job.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM

17 posts, read 56,764 times
I understand the encouragement to get married first, but we've both decided we're waiting on that for now (and I really do mean both - not just him saying it and me agreeing) We both know far too many people who married quick for the wrong reasons and we want to make sure when we do get married its for the right reasons. Plus he's currently deployed and is coming back just 3-4 months before we're supposed to move to vegas, and we definitely dont want to rush a wedding just for the sake of being married when we move. We're in a solid relationship though so I'm not worried.

While he's deployed he's put me in charge of finding a house and I'm more just worried that since I have zero familiarity with the area I'll end up somewhere I don't want to be. I've been looking at rental listings online and for many the pictures of the houses in the bad areas look just like the pictures in the nice ones, so just trying to find a way to know if a house is going to be safe.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM

52 posts, read 99,547 times
check your direct messages bobandchocolate

Old 06-27-2013, 02:50 PM

611 posts, read 951,402 times
You don't have to do this alone! Vegas is one of the most exciting places to visit and live especially for younger people who have jobs and a head on their shoulders. it won't be too hard for you to find girl friends, relatives, or work acquaintances accompany you in your search for real estate and to keep you company while you are alone there! Just put out the word and I'm sure you'll have an entourage until he gets back.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,928 times
Listen to Von's advice even if you dont heed it....

Also, a few things...the base he is currently assigned will have information concerning Nellis. He should now or soon have a sponsor which is someone who is supposed to remain in contact with you guys while you are transitioning. Wherever you are currently stationed, there will undoubtedly be several people who have been stationed at Nellis. It's a huge base with several different missions.
If you do end up staying with him "forever" you must remain open minded about wherever the military takes you. If you are already feeling down about LV you will have preconceived ideas and it will be hard to change them. So turn that frown upside down.

What I tell people when they ask about living in LV, is that it's not much different than living in Anysuburb, USA. You can take or leave as much of "Sin City" part as you want. Dont let the crime statistics fool you. We arent all waiting by our door with shotguns. Take the same precautions as you would anywhere else. Ive even heard some people say they leave their doors open at night. There are smaller military towns that have way worse crime than North Las Vegas. If you ever get stationed in Sumter, Fayetteville, Columbus, or Macon you would be crying to get to LV.

Standard advice for people stationed at Nellis north of craig and inside of the "v" formed by I-15 and US95 with exceptions of course. The farther away from Nellis you get, the closer you want to be to an arterial road. Everyone says they dont care how far they live from work, but the commute can be tiresome, especially if you live in Henderson and have to cross the resort corridor everyday. Just my two cents.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandchocolate View Post
I understand the encouragement to get married first, but we've both decided we're waiting on that for now (and I really do mean both - not just him saying it and me agreeing) We both know far too many people who married quick for the wrong reasons and we want to make sure when we do get married its for the right reasons. Plus he's currently deployed and is coming back just 3-4 months before we're supposed to move to vegas, and we definitely dont want to rush a wedding just for the sake of being married when we move. We're in a solid relationship though so I'm not worried.

While he's deployed he's put me in charge of finding a house and I'm more just worried that since I have zero familiarity with the area I'll end up somewhere I don't want to be. I've been looking at rental listings online and for many the pictures of the houses in the bad areas look just like the pictures in the nice ones, so just trying to find a way to know if a house is going to be safe.
There is help out there for spouses in your situation but that help is limited for non official spouses(girlfriends). Your boyfriend needs to get in touch with his sponsor ASAP. Everyone has a sponsor before a PCS move. I had a sponsor for every move and I have sponsored over a dozen people at different locations before they arrived. It's mandatory.

Tell your boyfriend to pass the sponsor contact information to you so that you can communicate with he or she since you are doing all of the leg work yourself.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas