Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 AM

720 posts, read 766,672 times

Advertisements

Okay, please forgive my ignorance, why is fake olive oil made and what is the difference between fake and real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
Why is fake olive oil made? $$$$$ It's a billion-dollar business, run by the mafia.

The difference is taste. "Non sa di niente," say the Italians. "Nothing -- that's how it tastes." If you're asking these questions, it is likely that you have never had real olive oil in your life. The taste difference between real and fake is exactly like the difference between real maple syrup and "table syrup." Table syrup doesn't taste like anything. It just tastes "sweet." (Because it's mostly corn syrup and colorant.)

I linked an article in an earlier thread. Here it is again.

Andrea Vogt » Slimy Business: Counterfeit Olive Oil Ring Busted in Central Italy

Old 11-20-2013, 01:48 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
I have only taken a few steps into Cucina Olive Oil at Tivoli Village a couple of times. It is a store devoted to olive oil. As I recall, sample tasting is routinely available there.
Coco, thanks for that lead. A photo in their website looks like they have a tasting table in their store. I've never been to Tivoli Village but am definitely going to visit it before too long.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:14 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,717,095 times
"fake" anything is big money biz these days and is run by organized crime. Fake goods of all sorts are bigger money makers and if caught, the crimes are less punished than running drugs.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Coco, thanks for that lead. A photo in their website looks like they have a tasting table in their store. I've never been to Tivoli Village but am definitely going to visit it before too long.
I agree. Thanks Coco. This one sounds yummy. Arbequina Olive Oil | Cucina Olive Oil

Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Whoever repped me with the comment "have you ever had the real stuff?" forgot to add their name so I could respond.

Yes, I have. I'm a big fan of Mediterranean food, and that means olive oil and lots of it.

My favorites are fruity and buttery with a slight peppery finish. If you want a bit more pepper, you fresh crack it into the olive oil before dipping the bread.I dislike the bitter ones.

There are some very good olive oils coming out of small California farms these days. You can get them at farmer's markets and such.

Olive oil (the real stuff) tastes like olive oil. It has a richness and a depth of flavor that the fakes don't have. The fakes taste like canola (bland) , sometimes with some bitterness thrown in. Some of them even have a slight chemical aftertaste.

If you are getting a fake, you are also not getting the health benefits associated with olive oil. Aside from the boutique / family farm olive oils, the only decent one I've tried was Columela.

http://www.amazon.com/Columela-Extra...mela+olive+oil

Last edited by NLVgal; 11-20-2013 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 PM

720 posts, read 766,672 times
Okay thanks.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 PM

670 posts, read 1,105,363 times
Fake Olive Oil is big business. I never knew there were EVOO tasting events but it doesn't surprise me at all.

I am familiar with Salad Oil's/Olive Oil's through the study of Finance. One of the major frauds of the 20th Century revolved around Salad oil: Salad Oil Scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cost American Express over 50% of it's share value.

Given the number of top flight Restaurants and Resorts in Las Vegas I bet one could be arranged through expressing interest with the governing body without too much trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas