Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:19 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,080,364 times

Advertisements

Larger lots quite often don't have gas service (nor cable). It's not nearly as cost effective for the utilities to lay main lines for the lesser density of customers.

In regards to solar panels, I hardly ever hear anyone mention this, but don't forget to consider the age and condition of the roof. The panels need to be removed and re-installed if a roof repair ever needs to be made. You're talking thousands of dollars to remove and re-install the panels. Considering the panels should last 20-30 years, basically the roof underlayment (tar paper) needs to be nearly brand new to get that life span without expecting to have to repair the roof. It depends, but a reasonable estimate is about 25 year life for tile roof underlayment.

An excellent article at: Tile Roof Applications | SolarPro Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Yah. I'd never buy a house without gas service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,683,119 times
I plan to have the panels sit at the perimeter of the property.

The only thing I am not sure about is running a long feed to the meter.

My property is .6 acres. What about you?

Do you have underground electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Larger lots quite often don't have gas service (nor cable). It's not nearly as cost effective for the utilities to lay main lines for the lesser density of customers.

In regards to solar panels, I hardly ever hear anyone mention this, but don't forget to consider the age and condition of the roof. The panels need to be removed and re-installed if a roof repair ever needs to be made. You're talking thousands of dollars to remove and re-install the panels. Considering the panels should last 20-30 years, basically the roof underlayment (tar paper) needs to be nearly brand new to get that life span without expecting to have to repair the roof. It depends, but a reasonable estimate is about 25 year life for tile roof underlayment.

An excellent article at: Tile Roof Applications | SolarPro Magazine

Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,080,364 times
Curious if anyone who has net metering currently could tell me what charges they pay?

I am trying to determine if I consumed 100 kwh and generated 100 kwh, what would the bill be? I know they charge some type of monthly connection charge and then I heard all the "surcharge fees" such as energy conservation, etc. are charged on "delivered" kwh regardless of net metering, so they would be charged against 100 kwh in my example.

Just trying to figure out how they nickle and dime you.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,034,210 times
my neighbor has looked into solar city.. i don't know if this is true or not… solar city puts in the panels and connects to the meter… there is no cost for the panels… you pay 2 electric bills.. 1 to solar city for what you use and the other to nevada energy for their minimum charge..

i can't really believe that this would be true..

Old 02-09-2015, 11:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,017,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
my neighbor has looked into solar city.. i don't know if this is true or not… solar city puts in the panels and connects to the meter… there is no cost for the panels… you pay 2 electric bills.. 1 to solar city for what you use and the other to nevada energy for their minimum charge..

i can't really believe that this would be true..
Yes -- because it's a 20-year contract to pay more than the installation and panels are worth. We're at the "fleece the ignorant" phase of solar power.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 AM

but wouldn't solar citys bill be much cheaper than nevada energy

Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 AM

No. That's the scam. As solar conforms to Moore's law, that 20-year contract becomes a worse and worse deal.

This is how that solar salesman broke it down for me. And I have no idea why he had such candor. I was ready to plunk down a lot of money for a solar system before they became popular. He ran the numbers at my kitchen table and explained precisely why I should wait.

Solar City's bill will be slightly cheaper at first. As solar becomes less and less expensive, that 20-year contract will be more and more of an albatross wearing a millstone.

People should get their bills down as far as possible. That's the ONLY way to beat the system. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:22 AM

so if the panels are free, you are saying the rate that solar city will charge will stay the same or go up and the product itself will come down in price.. so the contract term (20YRS) is where they get you.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
so if the panels are free, you are saying the rate that solar city will charge will stay the same or go up and the product itself will come down in price.. so the contract term (20YRS) is where they get you.
The panels are not free. The panels are provided in exchange for signing a long-term contract. Exactly like the phone is free in exchange for signing a long-term contract. The difference is two years compared to 20 years.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:35 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,683,119 times
This all makes sense if you have all electric house. Get a $5K DIY Kit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas