Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:22 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,018,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post

p.s. I am going to be outside today. I will make sure and drink some sunscreen.
I'm glad most people see the logic.

Once upon a time, vaccines contained weakened strains of viruses. Then we discovered that injecting dead viruses was just as effective, with less health risk (people stopped contracting the virus they were being immunized against). Captain Confusion is basically insisting that we go back to the old way because it's the way he knows.

Fluoride toothpaste wasn't available when this program started in the 1940s. It was then a way to get fluoride in contact with tooth enamel, and we didn't fully understand the process. We have moved on, but still the old program lingers -- a pork policy favored by the fertilizer industry. Ask any dentist, "Do I need to SWALLOW fluoride for it to be effective?"

Get back to me with even a single dentist who recommends swallowing fluoride.

Tooth caries have decreased because oral hygiene has improved -- and the stats in fluoridating vs. non-fluoridating areas confirm this. Time to kill this turkey of a program. (Makes as much sense as paying farmers NOT to grow crops.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 04:33 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,062,421 times
The CDC and now the FDA, really? I don't trust either at all. Especially the FDA considering former Monsanto execs run them.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,768,363 times
Tell you what. I'm going to be 67 next week. I've been drinking fluoridated water my entire life.

It's pretty damn obvious it's not going to kill me.

How paranoid can you be?

Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,131,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Tell you what. I'm going to be 67 next week. I've been drinking fluoridated water my entire life.

It's pretty damn obvious it's not going to kill me.

How paranoid can you be?

Ozzy Osborne has taken 1,000 times more drugs and alcohol than most other rock stars, and he's still alive.

80,000~ people a year are not so lucky.

By your logic, 1 example that hasn't keeled over yet, drugs are safe.

Sure, anything can be fatal if you take enough of it, but many things can cause many many afflictions in lower than fatal doses.
My toothpaste container has a warning against swallowing it due to the fluoride. I do not wish to drink it in my drinking water.

Oxford study

Fluoridation of drinking water and chronic kidney disease: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Old 04-28-2015, 05:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,830,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Ozzy Osborne has taken 1,000 times more drugs and alcohol than most other rock stars, and he's still alive.

80,000~ people a year are not so lucky.

By your logic, 1 example that hasn't keeled over yet, drugs are safe.

Sure, anything can be fatal if you take enough of it, but many things can cause many many afflictions in lower than fatal doses.
My toothpaste container has a warning against swallowing it due to the fluoride. I do not wish to drink it in my drinking water.

Oxford study

Fluoridation of drinking water and chronic kidney disease: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
Of course their are people who may wish to avoid fluoridated water. There are also people who may want to avoid any number of other substances. I avoid the B vitamins as I have a significant problem with B6. That does not however suggest the rest of the world should stop taking multivitamins with the B sequence.

There is also an Australian study of kidney disease patients that found fluoridated water a small if any risk.

There are also people who react badly to small amounts of a common substance. But I do not think that calls for banning peanuts.

Live virus vaccines are still in common use. Polio went to killed only but other diseases did not.

I have still not offered any personal views. I have simply quoted the medical establishment

Scoop is simply holding himself up as smarter than the entire US medical establishment.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:32 PM
EA

So, since people are vitamin deficient, we should add some vitamin b6 to the water supply, be a great idea, huh?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,830,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
So, since people are vitamin deficient, we should add some vitamin b6 to the water supply, be a great idea, huh?
Cite your source that people are vitamin deficient. Or are you another Scoop? You know it is true even if no one else does?

Actually if you understand this at all you would know that it is a major problem to avoid B6...because it is added to all sorts of foods particularly cereals.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:12 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,575,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
In Portland's case, passing this bill would have meant adding 1.1 million pounds of fluorosilicic acid per year. Where do we get fluorosilicic acid? It's a byproduct of industrial fertilizers.
That's really the kicker for me. We're not talking about adding controlled amounts of naturally occurring fluoride to communities who are deficient in such a mineral. We're talking about people who in all likelihood have already consumed more than enough fluoride and are now filling a glass of water with who knows how much of an industrial waste product. If the discussion is going to take the form of "well the government endorses it and I'm still alive so it must be fine", there's no point in further conversation. after all, this is a practice that began in a time when doctors endorsed smoking.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,575,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

Portland is an interesting case and is really illustrative of the real problem. What we need to realize is the resistance in Portland and elsewhere to Fluoridation is being driven out of the same thought process as the anti-vaccine campaigns. It is a sort of do nothing let nature take its course even if it hurts people.
Not drinking fluoride is neither hurting anyone nor is it even remotely equivalent to convincing yourself that your child doesn't need a life saving vaccine.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:21 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Cite your source that people are vitamin deficient. Or are you another Scoop? You know it is true even if no one else does?

Actually if you understand this at all you would know that it is a major problem to avoid B6...because it is added to all sorts of foods particularly cereals.

CDC Online Newsroom - Press Release-CDC report finds U.S. population has good levels of some essential vitamins and nutrients April 02, 2012

I said what I said to illustrate a point. We are NOT fluoride deficient. EVERY toothpaste has it in it. Every person who brushes their teeth get plenty of fluoride. There is no reason to add it to the water supply.
Fluoride is NOT supposed to be consumed.

Can you show me where the government is mandating the addition of vitamin b to foods?

Can I elect to not have running water in my house? Pretty sure I can't.
Can you elect not to buy food with vitamin b? You sure can.

I admit that having to avoid food because of a certain element of it would suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas