Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 03:45 AM

638 posts, read 593,903 times

Advertisements

I went to Macy's home on spring mountain. Didn't buy anything and saw the furniture store across the road.

Had a quick look on google street view, its called Jubilee Furniture. Good quality, and really cheap. Bought a couple of bedside tables there that look like they cost 5 times more then they did. Well worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 AM

58 posts, read 53,791 times
Thanks for all the wonderfull ideas, I'm moving in oct and this will keep me busy!

Old 08-06-2015, 12:39 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I've had bad luck with craigslist in Las Vegas most of the time. People either don't respond or the item I want is sold within an hour of being posted. Things go fast.

Some people have told me to check out the LV Swapmeets because that's where stuff really is. I haven't done that yet so I can't say if it's good advice or not.

Also Colleen's Consignments was recommended for used discount furniture.
The thing with Colleens.... Umm it really depends upon taste. Most of the things I have seen there are well priced compared to their original price. That said, it's generally not a bargain because they were timeless classic pieces that were well made. It's because Teresa from the Real Horsewives needed to unload her tacky, gaudy, name brand goods.

No offense at all toward Merri. She's a tasteful gal.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:50 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Deseret had some nice furniture this evening..... nice couches.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Craigslist and patience.

That's how we got our billiards table and leather couches. Everything else, I made. The local furniture stores sell pressboard crap which will fall apart if you spill a glass of water on it. The consignment stores for the most part have crap from the local furniture stores. And they're not much of a bargain.

You can find decent stuff when the stars align at the thrift stores. I found an great set of shoji screens at Goodwill once for $10. That's a 100-fold savings over what these cost retail. But I happened to be there the second the Goodwill dude put these screens on the floor.

Most of the time, it's scratch-and-dent pressboard crapola at the thrifts. It's really hard to get away from pressboard crapola. And now we're getting an Ikea, for even more pressboard crapola badness.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:07 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Craigslist and patience.

That's how we got our billiards table and leather couches. Everything else, I made. The local furniture stores sell pressboard crap which will fall apart if you spill a glass of water on it. The consignment stores for the most part have crap from the local furniture stores. And they're not much of a bargain.

You can find decent stuff when the stars align at the thrift stores. I found an great set of shoji screens at Goodwill once for $10. That's a 100-fold savings over what these cost retail. But I happened to be there the second the Goodwill dude put these screens on the floor.

Most of the time, it's scratch-and-dent pressboard crapola at the thrifts. It's really hard to get away from pressboard crapola. And now we're getting an Ikea, for even more pressboard crapola badness.
We used to have Woody's, sigh. Yes, it was pine or oak and unfinished, but it stood up. My first husband ( I'm starting to collect them, I guess, ) is returning my solid pine entertainment center to me. It's about 20 years old. I hand finished that thing with linseed oil. He put paint on it. Philistine! I'll fix it though.

Back on topic, no need to pay retail for furniture here. It's mostly pasteboard, but watch for hidden treasures. I sold a few when I left my house. They all sold in about a day.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:00 PM

43 posts, read 69,820 times
Thrift store shopping is hit or miss. (and I own a thrift store). The nicer pieces tend not to last long. Estate sales can get you some nice sets, so can Public Auction houses particularly Clark County Public Auction ( I have 0 affiliation, actually I am their competition). Costco has some nice pieces but selection is limited. If you have the time I would definitly hit the thrift stores and auctions, you can get some nice pieces that would normally be out of your price range for a lower price.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:14 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,763 times
Try Past Present and Future Furniture it is located on Desert Inn just before yo get to the intersection for Boulder Highway. You can dicker on pricing also. I bought most of my living room furniture and dining room furniture from here and a roll top desk and various other pieces for the house. They also deliver but charge for it but I know I saved more than 1/2 pricing on all items I purchased and the items were not used furniture.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:08 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Here's one that may not have crossed your mind: Check out Costco and/or Sam's Club. A surprising amount of my furniture has come from there. Off the top of my head: Coffee table (real wood, espresso color) from Costco originally $350 marked down to $149.97 at end of season (new in box). Bathroom vanity (espresso color w/granite top) marked down from $325 to $162.50 (display, very minor nicks). 2 off-white armless padded chairs w/throw pillow (kinda retro, I guess more Euro-design), marked down from $150 to $59.97 each (someone else at the Summerlin Costco saw them just after me & tried to bribe me to let them have them - glad I didn't do it as I love the chairs & my ferret has adopted one as HER lounging chair, tho she does make a habit of literally 'throwing' the throw pillow off the chair ) Costco is fairly random in terms of timing, you just need to pay close attention. All of the Costco stuff is quality & houseguests expect it to have cost a bundle.
For those curious about either the chair or my ferret, here's my little princess posing on HER lounging chair (the armless one from Costco). You can see her better than the chair, but it's a pretty nice chair. She likes to occasionally climb the back of the chair as well to 'scout' the room for any upcoming adventures

Old 08-11-2015, 03:16 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normy123 View Post
So I'll need couch, coffee table, dinette set w/chairs. Where should I go?
yard sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: