Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,047,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
It does nothing for you.
Unless you pick it up and load it...then it is on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,684,756 times
Do they sell Biathlon guns at the show? I am thinking about buying one for starting a biathlon league in Vegas. It will be awesome!!! Runing and shooting!!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:53 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,176,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromBoston617 View Post
5. If you feel there is a better place to buy a firearm, can you recommend one? Anywhere in Vegas is fine.
A gun show would be the last place I'd purchase a firearm. I would recommend an online dealer after you figure out which FFL (federal firearm license) shop (one example: local gun shop) you want it shipped to. I would get ammo online also.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,589,447 times
Prices at the gun shows are not what they used to be. Most of the dealers who show up there are selling for MSRP hoping that first time buyers like yourself will not know that the firearms can be had around town for less.

It is a good idea to go to the gun show and look around to see what is available. You can look, and, usually, pick up and hold the guns to get an idea what fits your interest.

Plus, it's a nice thing to frequent the local gun dealers and buy locally to keep them in business.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 AM

15,882 posts, read 14,545,329 times
I wouldn't just go to the gun show and buy something. I'd go to the gun show and kick tires. Look at guns, get a sense of what's available, decide what you like. Then, afterwards, use one of Vegas's good selection of rental ranges to try to find some of the guns you liked, to actually shoot. That will let you narrow down the selection to what you actually want to buy. Then go on something like Gunbroker.com to scour the internet for the best prices.

Now you may decide to buy from someone locally to get better service, but you can buy guns over the internet. If you do that, the gun won't be shipped to you. You have to have it shipped to a local dealer that performs the service of processing the federal paperwork. This usually costs around $25-ish. You then pick it up from the local dealer.

As to what gun to buy, I'd avoid the pistol caliber carbine. If you want a carbine, get an M4 pattern AR (at the gun show you see these in vast supply, they're VERY common.) You might be better off with a pistol. I'd get one that's big enough to shoot a police duty level cartridge (think 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP), but small enough to conceivably carry, of you want to get your Nevada concealed handgun license (not a bad idea.) The architypical gun in this category is the Glock 19 in 9mm and the associated Glock models in other calibers. As you research, you may or may not like Glocks (they're hugely popular but many people also hate them.) But it's a good starting point in a pistol search.

Whatever you do, get some training on how to shoot, and how to use the gun in defensive situation. There are plenty of places in Vegas directly to the get this, and there are some nationally known training centers not far away (one in Pahrump, and some others in AZ.) Also, especially if you have kids, you need to be able to secure the gun in a way that unauthorized users can't get to it without major difficulty, but you can get to it easily. There are numerous devices that can do this for you.

Last edited by BBMW; 08-26-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 AM

15,882 posts, read 14,545,329 times
That's a VERY specialized market. It's not inconceivable you could see one at a show, but I'd consider that unlikely. If you want something like that, you're likely going to have to find a dealer that specializes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Do they sell Biathlon guns at the show? I am thinking about buying one for starting a biathlon league in Vegas. It will be awesome!!! Runing and shooting!!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
It does make recreational shooting at the range, however, more difficult when you have to throw the bullets toward the target with your hand
Yeah, but that's where you can REALLY show off your skills. Can you imagine the looks of the other shooters at the range on each side of you? Who wants to "cheat" by using a gun to propel that bullet? Those things hurl bullets perfectly straight!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:35 AM

50,503 posts, read 47,277,560 times
Quote:
Advice? Don't buy one. It does nothing for you.

Does owning a gun make you safer? - LA Times
I tried harvesting a deer with a knife and effort = fail. Those things have sharp, pointy hooves! I'm buying a gun next time. Well, after my wounds heal.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:13 PM

168 posts, read 212,915 times
Quote:
Advice? Don't buy one. It does nothing for you.

Does owning a gun make you safer? - LA Times

Nothing!
Nothing at all I tell you!

Old 08-26-2015, 01:02 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,654,258 times
I realize now, why i kept getting looks at the range, your supposed to put the bullets INTO the gun!
I have been tossing them in the air and hitting the bullets with the butt of my pistol (I got pretty good at it)

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas