Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:32 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

For some "comfort", the LV Review Journal, at the beginning of the month, posts the temps for the entire month, lowest temps for any particular date, highest, and what the temps were last year. Do recall the lowest temp ever recorded here in Las Vegas stands at 8 degrees in January. Now! That's not inclusive of windchill! Add the type of wind we've had today and last night, and? Yes, we can easily record below zero windchills in this city, at various times of the winter!

I've noticed, though, when it gets super cold in the Midwest in the winter, we heat up here in winter, like the last 2 winters!

I've gotten into a routine, on my 4 days off (I'm a night shifter, up all night) to walk the ferret from around 2am to 3:30am, then take a bike ride from around 4am to 5:30am.

Last Wed. night, it was no fun riding my bike that late, and my hands all but froze to the handlebars. So I broke down and bought some gloves! And, now, if it's windy, bike ride cancelled!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:43 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Do recall the lowest temp ever recorded here in Las Vegas stands at 8 degrees in January.
That was back in 1963 when Las Vegas was much smaller. Since then the city has expanded many times over. With all the additional buildings and ashpault, Las Vegas will never get that cold again.

How it Happens: The Physics Behind the Urban Heat Island Effect - HowStuffWorks

http://grist.org/list/vegas-tops-the...-heat-islands/

Old 11-16-2015, 11:00 PM

Last week, we hit two all-time lows for the day!

Check it out, we've recorded record-breaking lows for highs for the day, and lows for the day, all along, throughout history.

And, where's the official recording station?

Up in Anthem, where the elevation can rise to 3200 feet, they're more cold in winter than where I live, on the Valley Floor, Di/Pecos!

Old 11-16-2015, 11:11 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,858 times
I'm okay with the cold but sooo sick of this wind. I went to meet the milkman from Fallon tonight. He commented on the "one" day of cold that we got today living here in Las Vegas. I was freezing my arse off and unconsciously gave him the evil eye. I'd never survive in the snow. Could you imagine having to use snow tires and chains with all of the crazy drivers in this town

Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,351 times
Quote:
Last week, we hit two all-time lows for the day!

Check it out, we've recorded record-breaking lows for highs for the day, and lows for the day, all along, throughout history.

And, where's the official recording station?

Up in Anthem, where the elevation can rise to 3200 feet, they're more cold in winter than where I live, on the Valley Floor, Di/Pecos!
I'm not talking day by day, I'm saying long term. I have never seen the temperature go below 25 degrees since I have lived here. Searching Google, I found the lowest it has ever gotten in the last ten years was 21 degrees on January 14, 2007. I have no doubt we will never see 8 degrees again with the urban heat island we now have.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:50 AM

People from the humid areas of the country have a hard time comprehending what dry cold is all about, and their only focus is on numbers. When you go to a Nursery here, what are the precautions? Protect your plants for temps under 40!

Haven't you noticed a night time low of 40 with clouds in the sky? Ah! Doesn't that 40 feel good?
As opposed to 40 with no clouds in the sky! Brrrr.......!

And then the wind! Wind chill! Our average annual wind speed in Las Vegas is 9.2MPH! Compared to Phoenix and L.A. (lowest wind speeds of major cities) at 6.2. Highest wind speeds of any city is Cheyenne, WY at 13.9MPH. So we're inbetween the 2 extremes!

From the Wind Chill Table:

35 degree low for the night, and with a wind behind it at:

15MPH, it feels like 16 degrees.
30MPH, it feels like 6 degrees
40MPH, it feels like 3 degrees

Any time, in the winter, I see clouds coming in from the North or West, no matter how cold it is, I think: Ah, good, it's going to "warm up"! Providing, no winds behind it!

Old 11-17-2015, 01:21 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,046 times
It has been really windy.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:53 AM

When I stepped outside, at work, last night, with wind blowing how many miles an hour, to smoke a half-cigarette, I knew I shouldn't have done it. I got inside and I got that feeling in my throat, and a warm feeling, like I had a temperature, and sure enough, the beginning of a sore throat!

Came home, quick took some ampicillin, and some later today, so I'm hoping it'll save me from getting the flu, or keeps it from getting worse!

Old 11-17-2015, 03:05 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
When I stepped outside, at work, last night, with wind blowing how many miles an hour, to smoke a half-cigarette, I knew I shouldn't have done it. I got inside and I got that feeling in my throat, and a warm feeling, like I had a temperature, and sure enough, the beginning of a sore throat!

Came home, quick took some ampicillin, and some later today, so I'm hoping it'll save me from getting the flu, or keeps it from getting worse!
You know as well as I do that antibiotics don't prevent flu or any other viral infection. If you had strep throat, yeah. Community acquired bacterial URI, sure. But the flu? c'mon now.

You work in medicine. Get some Tamiflu, and have a hot toddy, fer cryin out loud.

I just realized something. I've been played. Again.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:06 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
This afternoon, it wasn't too bad when I was working. This morning, at 5am, it was brutal. The wind is what did it. There was a chill in the air, but when that wind picked up, I couldn't get warm. There's some long time construction guys out there, and they were wearing sweatshirts and jackets and still shivering. Of course there was that one guy wearing just a tshirt. I am assuming he's from ny or some place horrible.
I want a repeat of last year. It was warm til partway through January.
You should fly out to Detroit in the beginning of January and stay several days. When you land, it's below 0 and kind of just stays like that forever. Try walking anywhere in your shoes you wear in Las Vegas, and you will be doing the slip n slide and try not fall on your butt. When you get back home to LV, you will think it's so warm here! When it's in the 50's with strong north winds blowing.
Enjoy it. Soon it will be just hot and sunny every day again, boring! And giant electric bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas