Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:19 AM

31 posts, read 187,235 times

Advertisements

thx.

we are coming to vegas again to see family next month, and to see the house. I know vegas comes alive at night, but what is there really to do in the day time ?

also, what time of the year is the best to come for vacationers [when there are less tourists around]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 06:59 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,586,619 times
Hi hky3212002!

Well as for jobs in photography...it really depends alot on what type of photography you want to do and how much experience you have. Obviously, since you are just coming to Vegas and are still in high school, photo jobs will not be available for you at this time.

The Review-Journal has a program called R-Jeneration in which high school journalism students get to have a 4-page section in the paper each week. Once you get enrolled in school, you could see about getting into this program.

As for studio/commercial/fine arts photography, I don't really think there is any "internship" type programs available in Vegas. As a student, I would concentrate on getting done with high school and finding a good college to enroll in rather than finding a job in photography as a newly graduated guy.

I know of some people who have worked at photography while doing other jobs and eventually they can find work as a full-time photographer. And to be honest, you can usually learn just as much from reading books and doing photos on your own as you can in photo school. But what you can't get without school is the networking that goes on among college graduates and alums. Most of the people I know who've gone to KU or MU or Pasadena have gone on to good careers very early in life compared to people who've just slugged it out trying to make it on their own.

Take my advice--work on the school newspaper and yearbook, try to get on the R-Jeneration staff, shoot stuff in your spare time and have fun in high school. Go to a good college and then look for a job in photography!

Oh, and just to let you know, there is a glut of photographers in Las Vegas right now. WireImage has pretty much all of the entertainment venues tied up and getting a job with them is very difficult.

Henkelphoto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: