Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:21 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times

Advertisements

Ok so my Florida drivers license is set to expire on my 27th birthday this year. I'm also planning to start doing Lyft and need my Nevada drivers license

Back in July when I went to get my Nevada license plates for my car, I brought everything I thought I needed to the DMV on Decatur and Grand Teton. I got my license plates, and tried for my license and the lady (who had a downright rotten attitude) told me I needed to have a utility bill in my name as proof of residence, and that check stubs, bank statements, and various pieces of mail were not enough. And I was told "a cell phone bill is not a utility" when I explained that I needed my license changed (as Nevada law says I have to) and that I needed it to do Lyft she said "sounds like a personal problem to me." The nerve of her after having waited almost 4 hours

Anyways my Florida license will be expiring soon. Was she correct that I MUST have a utility bill to get my NV license? I don't have any utilities in my name because my roommate takes care of all that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 07:46 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
The Nevada DMV says that a receipt for the rent or lease of a residence is acceptable as proof as is a notarized statement from the owner of a residence indicating that the applicant physically resides at the residence.

Get one or both from the landlord or your roommate if you just pay the rent to him. Print out this part of the DMV web site and take it with you:

Residency & Proof of Identity

Last, go to a different DMV office or at least a different clerk.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:45 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
Go to a DMV that does online appointments. Do NOT wait in line--I assume you have a mobile phone. The location you went to has an online appointment option. I just did the whole Real ID DL thing. A bank statement with your name and physical address AND a pay stub with your name and physical address meet the proof of residency requirements--two proof documents.

DMV Dash Pass

Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 AM

472 posts, read 377,982 times
The one on N. Decatur off the 215 takes appointments, and you get called within 10 minutes after check in. It's the only way, except you still have to wait in a long line to get your photo taken.

And you need two proofs of residency. A lease agreement, rental agreement, NV energy, Gas, Republic garbage bill, those are all attached to the residency. Or if you're living with someone who owns, the DMV has an affidavit that attests you are living with them permanently. (My kids needed those for their conversions).

Old 10-18-2016, 12:55 PM

621 posts, read 538,186 times
I just went Saturday and I actually only needed my lease agreement. They had me fill out a form in place of the 2nd piece of proof, because my receipt for first months rent didn't have the address on it. Make sure you make an appointment on-line like others have suggested. I was in and out in 45 minutes and I had my registration and license done.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:43 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
It's hit and miss. Me and my wife went in the dmv at the same time when we moved here. The person helping me didn't look at a single document and was pleasant. The lady helping my wife examined every document and refused her nv license. I don't remember which document she wanted but it was absurd.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:31 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Go to Dash Pass to make an appointment online.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:41 PM

572 posts, read 1,683,697 times
so wait, if I'm understanding this correctly. You have 30 days once you move to Nevada to transfer your license/registration over. But you need documentation proving residency, often times which may take more than 30 days to transfer over (credit card bills, etc.). AND you can't use a cell phone bill? ::

Old 10-18-2016, 06:47 PM

145 posts, read 147,247 times
Apartment/house lease paperwork is good to go. If you have bought a house I'm guessing that would be OK too. I used my lease agreement a few years back.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:02 AM

236 posts, read 405,587 times
Oh don't get me started about the DMV! My husband and I moved here a month ago. The first week we were here we went to the DMV. Didn't know about the online appointments and sat for 3 hours until we were called. My husband had his current PA license, and SS card as well as our lease and the NEnergy bill. He got the car registration and his license. I on the other hand had my current PA license, SS card, lease and the Cox cable bill in my name. They wouldn't give me my license because I didn't have the marriage license from my first marriage. I probably burned it 21 years ago! I even had the girl go to the DMV's website to show me where it said that I needed more than what I brought with me. She couldn't find it.

So now I wait. I ordered the license from the PA county where I got married back in 1980! I'm still annoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas