Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 12:56 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,872,780 times

Advertisements

Heading to Vegas for the 2018 SHOT Show - don't want to break the bank, but it would be a nice treat for the wife to have nice lodging for the trip. I know there's a HUGE difference in the various properties, but perhaps suggestions in the following ranges:

$150-200/night

$200-250/night

Y'all know the area best, obviously - what would be YOUR choices? And what properties would you AVOID?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 12:58 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,914,919 times
Go to https://www.vegas.com/ & search for packages within your parameters.

ALSO... did you check the shot show's website for hotels? See:

http://shotshow.org/hotel-and-travel/

The above website lists lots of hotels in your price range, and many below and some above.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:13 PM

Thanks - hoping to get some insights from y'all as to which of 'em would be preferred. I've been to too many "highly rated" hotels that turned out to be dumps....lol

Old 10-24-2017, 02:32 PM

2,152 posts, read 1,817,083 times
I think it might be helpful to have an idea of what amenities are important to you. Also are you planning on having a car? Did you want to be able to walk to most places or are you willing to be be further out? If you a gambler it may be useful to know what you are looking for in terms of games or limits.

At least these are the things I would like to know before I recommend a hotel, sometimes a "nice" hotel isn't worth the money because you have to leave to get want you want out of you trip whereas some of the "just ok" hotels could be ideal because you can spend your entire time at that property and do everything you hope to do while in town.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:47 PM

Understand....
We'll be driving in from Texas. Will either walk or do Uber most of the time - too much hassle in a POV from past experience, especially since we're not THAT familiar with the town.
Wife does limited slots. I enjoy some blackjack, but am certainly not going to spend every day at the tables, and am definitely NOT a high-stakes player. I prefer lower stakes so I can enjoy myself more.
A property with decent buffets/restaurant would be preferred - nothing fancy. We're not "high-maintenance" visitors, nor do we need to be waited on hand and foot.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:58 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,335,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Understand....
We'll be driving in from Texas. Will either walk or do Uber most of the time - too much hassle in a POV from past experience, especially since we're not THAT familiar with the town.
Wife does limited slots. I enjoy some blackjack, but am certainly not going to spend every day at the tables, and am definitely NOT a high-stakes player. I prefer lower stakes so I can enjoy myself more.
A property with decent buffets/restaurant would be preferred - nothing fancy. We're not "high-maintenance" visitors, nor do we need to be waited on hand and foot.
I don't gamble, but I know a lot of people prefer downtown for lower stakes tables. Lots of good places to eat downtown as well.

I prefer DT in general for overall atmosphere, too. Getting to the strip is an easy Uber or bus ride away.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:17 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,914,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Thanks - hoping to get some insights from y'all as to which of 'em would be preferred. I've been to too many "highly rated" hotels that turned out to be dumps....lol
OK -- I think I understand.

IMHO, the following are very nice and you would find them quite enjoyable.

Bellagio
Caesars Palace (ask for renovated rooms only)
Wynn
Encore
Palazzo
Venetian
Aria
Cosmopolitan
Mandaran Oriental
Vdara

Old 10-24-2017, 08:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,731 posts, read 81,641,337 times
Of the many I have stayed at, the most enjoyable was the Venetian. Rates vary greatly by how many rooms are booked and what events are in town, so go to their websites and check rates for your dates. The same hotel can be $69-400 depending on the day.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:45 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,292,423 times
The hotels have various rates for all budgets. Your budget starting at $150/night will get you a nice room at most of the nice hotels on the Strip.

My personal favorites are the Encore and the Aria. I'd also recommend the JW Marriot on the Westside. It's not on the Strip but it's very nice.

I hope you treat your wife to some spa days at any one of these places. I like the salt room and the hot stone nap room at the Aria and also their co-ed outdoor soaking pool on a cool day. The Aria spa is pretty fantastic all around. My girlfriends and I probably talk about that one as our most favorite regularly.

IMHO the Encore was the most beautiful Spa in Las Vegas. For soaking in the beauty alone I love going to it. You have access to the Wynn spa too there but it's surprisingly much smaller and more intimate. I don't like the Wynn spa tbh but they make up for it with the Encore spa that is utterly enchanting.

The JW Marriott is one of my favorite spas as well because it's designed so well. Plus they have a co-ed outdoor area too with these amazing hydrotherapy pools that I didn't find anywhere else in Las Vegas. The natural lighting when you walk in that filters over the gym is just perfect. In the co-ed area you can go with your wife and enjoy the area together while having some lunch on the patio and waiting in between treatments.

I will give an honorable mention to the bathhouses at Caesars Palace. It's really done up well there but I'll caution that at this one people trash the spa facilities in ways you don't expect. Spa days are supposed to be for relaxing and detoxifying the body after partying. Not for continuing pounding chemical cocktails and littering, but this is Las Vegas. Plus a member of the spa staff was horribly rude to me and humiliated me by calling me out loudly in the spa for not following the rules 30 minutes to closing time. Then she went and talked cra.p about me, the customer, to her co-worker behind an open door and the conversation carried down the hall for all the hear. The individual could have just discreetly approached me and reminded me of the rules when I didn't think there was anything wrong with what I was doing at that time. I wasn't the only one that staff member did this too and I left upset with no intention of going back there because she was so ugly about it. Completely ruined my spa experience. I hope to hear it's changed since then from people I trust, but so far none of them have gone back there either.

I never stayed in the Bellagio or went to there spa but it's one of my favorite hotels and I hear the spa is good too. The Bellagio is the most beautiful hotel on the Strip imho too. It's just my style, but there are a lot of good ones. I bet the Mandarin Oriental is fabulous. I've been to several of their afternoon teas in their tea lounge and it's fancy with a spectacular view. Oh and the Four Seasons afternoon tea is superb as well as a beautiful hotel on the Strip.

For discounts on room rates check Groupon. They're sometimes on there. Or search on google for "coupons" and the hotel you're interested in and see what comes up. Sometimes I find ways to save money that way too including the known discount websites like Priceline, ect.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 10-24-2017 at 11:55 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 01:35 PM

2,152 posts, read 1,817,083 times
Since you mentioned that you are a blackjack player, I'm not sure if there is a hotel on the strip that will meet your needs, especially if you are the type of player that won't play with unfavorable rules like 6 to 5 Blackjack payoffs.

My recommendation would be Rio, it is close enough to the strip that getting to the Expo center shouldn't take you too long. I believe that you don't have to pay for parking, and if you want to play blackjack with favorable rules you are walking distance to Gold Coast and the Palms. Other options might be Westgate or SLC but I'm not sure where they stand in relation to the items on your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: