Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:07 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
Crimes including burglaries, etc. occur as frequently in Summerlin, Spring Valley, and other more expensive areas. By comparison Sunrise Manor is as safe and possibly moreso. These are great neighborhoods in this area of town.

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/location/89142?id=

Property values have risen (I believe) about 16% per year over the past several years in Sunrise Manor, though obviously prices can;t continue to rise this quickly. These areas are a great investment.
I agree with you on the investment part. There were a lot of SFRs that could be purchased in Sunrise Manor for 30-50k during 2011 that are now worth 200k.

My post above wasn't to discourage the OP, just to give truthful info. There is nothing wrong with living in an area where hard working people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
I grew up on on that side of town. You can find some really nice homes close to the mountain and some pockets of nice track homes. Overall though, I would not ever go back to living on that side of town. Traffic around that area sucks and it takes forever to get to and on the highway. I don't care about an area being old, but I do care if I see a lot of graffiti that isn't cleaned up quickly, quirky house colors, cars on bricks in the front yards trash etc. Basically lack of pride in the neighborhood. I grew up here so I can't compare it to other cities but compared to other areas of Las Vegas, it's the low end of desirable.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:57 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
I agree with you on the investment part. There were a lot of SFRs that could be purchased in Sunrise Manor for 30-50k during 2011 that are now worth 200k.

My post above wasn't to discourage the OP, just to give truthful info. There is nothing wrong with living in an area where hard working people live.
More like 70,000 or more. The properties you're talking about were in need of dire repair.

Pretty much anywhere you bought in Vegas during that time you would have tripled your money.

Bitcoin was the better investment.

If everyone had a crystal ball, then none of this would have happened.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:45 PM

77 posts, read 105,464 times
There are some very nice properties east of Hollywood. That said, the general area is like being on an episode of live pd. The folks that occupy the area east of Hollywood are there only because its an lds stronghold.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:42 PM

15 posts, read 20,753 times
Thanks so much to you all for taking time to give some input. We are empty nesters so no small children coming with us, (just two cats!). We are looking specifically at the base of the mountain in a new community off of East Sahara Avenue. Hollywood Regional Park is directly across E Sahara and north of our potential neighborhood. Thank you for the input and feel free to add anything additional. My biggest concerns are things like wondering about safety if I run to the local market at 8pm or being able to safely shop and dine in the area without it feeling shady and sketchy. Like I said, I used to live in NYC, I'm happy to have a diverse family neighborhood (I lived in Spanish Harlem for 3 years and LOVED the vibe), but crime is the main concern. Thank you!!!

Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
You couldn't pay me to live in Sunrise Manor. Open up crimemapping.com and set the map for violent crime and take a look.

The crime rate in that section of town is significantly higher than anywhere else in the valley.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 PM

269 posts, read 247,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in Sunrise Manor. Open up crimemapping.com and set the map for violent crime and take a look.

The crime rate in that section of town is significantly higher than anywhere else in the valley.

Unless many crimes are simply not reported in Sunrise Manor, it seems that the rates of crime are comparable to other areas of Vegas.

The following link shows crime in the past 4 weeks occurring in Las Vegas. it seems distributed somewhat evenly. Of course there are bad pockets though out the valley, but Sunrise Manor appears at least according to Crime Mapping not to have much more crime than the rest of the Vegas area.

https://www.crimemapping.com/Share/7...2de08d3e6f418a

Old 01-08-2019, 08:26 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
I don't venture to that area... but looking on Google Maps, my first question would be "what about the smell from the Water Pollution Plant nearby?"

Old 01-09-2019, 07:14 AM

555 posts, read 775,387 times
there's also an old capped landfill at the end of vegas valley drive, further up from hollywood park ('sunrise landfill'). The area isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There's a few bad pockets and the drive down to the Charleston freeway entrance can be a nightmare in the mornings.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 AM

90 posts, read 63,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
Crimes including burglaries, etc. occur as frequently in Summerlin, Spring Valley, and other more expensive areas. By comparison Sunrise Manor is as safe and possibly moreso. These are great neighborhoods in this area of town.

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/location/89142?id=

Property values have risen (I believe) about 16% per year over the past several years in Sunrise Manor, though obviously prices can;t continue to rise this quickly. These areas are a great investment.

While it's true that crime is everywhere, there is certainly a lot more gang activity on the east and north sides of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas