Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,816,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I'm just hoping I will never have to deal with their customer service.

I did have an issue early on but figured it out myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 08:44 PM

117 posts, read 106,988 times
Cox cable TV and internet went out three time within a week for me. I would definitely switch if CL gigabit service was available in my neighborhood.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:10 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,496,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Philo TV

I like Philo because it's cheap and has live channels, DVR cloud, and on demand content. The channels aren't as extensive as other streaming offerings, but plenty good for me (mainly watch HGTV and Game Show Network).

They offer a free trial, no payment information needed initially. If interested, my link is:

https://philo.com/refer/RPTKHKQP
Thank you. With Roku TV they are continually adding Free Sites to check out. Granted some are on a temporary/trial basis but enough content to watch there is really no need to pay cable.

And speaking of the lousy cable company, my senior citizen neighbor hates that company. Those leeches even take advantage of old people, I know because my neighbor asked me to deal with them in the past.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:23 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,353,403 times
From CenturyLink's own website:

CenturyLink offers some impressively high speeds at middle-of-the-road prices. Especially if you’re lucky enough to live in a fiber area, you can get high enough speeds to make even your internet-loving teenage kids happy.

There is the major caveat. If you are not in a fiber area, you will only see an increase in speed if you have been using a dial-up modem.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:55 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,496,710 times
I'm really glad Century Link has internet service in my neck of the woods in Spring Valley. Have not looked back since the switch and I'm very happy with the service and it has been many years. Even for those not having Century Link in their area, you can easily hooked up your smart phone with your smart TV and there is really no need for the leeches service.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:28 AM

838 posts, read 567,862 times
I have a question is your service DSL or High Speed Cable? I ask because i had a HORRIBLE experience with CenturyLink last-year. I called to inquire about service and i was lied to on the phone, After asking the agent numerous times to confirm if this required a phone-line she said 'No!' and when the technician got there turns out they did. They also have a habit of misrepresenting their 'Fiber Optic' which is only fiber on the poles but it is still DSL. Lastly their system is extremely outdated and customer service was rude, I waited 1-month just to have my deposit returned to me.

I am however so fed-up with my current provider COX nickle and diming and lying to their customers by stating "Federal Law now requires us to have an additional package for UNLIMITED speed customers which is an extra $50/mo". Verbatim this is what i was told on the phone, After speaking to a friend who also works for COX he told me it was all a crock of **** and even after researching/Googling i couldn't find anything to support their claims.

Lately my plan has been reaching its cap despite me not doing ANY streaming with the exception of Youtube on the desktop and having only 2 cellphones connected to the wifi with hibernation on, I truly believe they're doing some shady things behind the scene and i'm going to be paying a more close attention to my usage.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:45 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,062,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
I have a question is your service DSL or High Speed Cable? I ask because i had a HORRIBLE experience with CenturyLink last-year. I called to inquire about service and i was lied to on the phone, After asking the agent numerous times to confirm if this required a phone-line she said 'No!' and when the technician got there turns out they did. They also have a habit of misrepresenting their 'Fiber Optic' which is only fiber on the poles but it is still DSL. Lastly their system is extremely outdated and customer service was rude, I waited 1-month just to have my deposit returned to me.

I am however so fed-up with my current provider COX nickle and diming and lying to their customers by stating "Federal Law now requires us to have an additional package for UNLIMITED speed customers which is an extra $50/mo". Verbatim this is what i was told on the phone, After speaking to a friend who also works for COX he told me it was all a crock of **** and even after researching/Googling i couldn't find anything to support their claims.

Lately my plan has been reaching its cap despite me not doing ANY streaming with the exception of Youtube on the desktop and having only 2 cellphones connected to the wifi with hibernation on, I truly believe they're doing some shady things behind the scene and i'm going to be paying a more close attention to my usage.
Interesting. Comcast was sued for similar practices and lost.

Your router may have a page in the settings that lets you log traffic to see what is using the bandwidth. There might also be a page that shows you what is attached to your WiFi. Is it possible a neighbor has your WiFi password and is using your WiFi instead of their own?

Old 01-19-2019, 04:07 PM

621 posts, read 539,419 times
I'm considering a switch to CL as my Cox bill just made an unreasonable jump. Looks like they only have the 100 Mbps max speed plan where I live though.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:34 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,816,427 times
Quote:
Not sure, how would one check this? I assume it's fiber since the speeds are close to 1gb up/down and only certain areas qualify

Old 01-20-2019, 08:20 PM

347 posts, read 543,222 times
Quote:

If Cox won't cut you a deal on the price and continues to nickle and dime you, and you see others getting a new cox customer special pricing then just ditch cox for a short time. They either will try to get you back or after 90 days you can return to them at the lower rate that new customers get. The phone /cable do not offer benefits to loyal customers so jump ship to Centurylink if they have good speeds at a good price and probably no data caps. Then when their special pricing ends, go back to cox as a new customer for cheaper deals. Back and forth. After your initial setup of both, next time you switch, it should be just a matter of hooking up the cable or dsl modem without having to get it installed by a tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: