Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,789,613 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 06:32 PM

927 posts, read 887,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
33 years?, No 20 year packages? That's right, 33 years teaching translates to 20 ona full time job. Shame on me.
You're so uninformed it's quite unbelievable.

Quote:
Below we have listed the eligibility requirements for retirement based on when you were first enrolled in PERS:

Members enrolled in PERS on or after 1-1-2010
Regular Members
5 years, age 65
10 years, age 62
30 years, any age
https://www.nvpers.org/public/help/faqs/#38

Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,496,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I'm curious to know who in this thread has physically spent some time working as a teacher in a public school system within the last ten years.
Most of the ill-informed dimwits commenting on here would be reduced to a hair-pulling, screaming pile of gelatinous human waste if they actually spent a day trying to corral an actual class of public school students, especially middle schoolers.
They talk out of their a$$e$ about a job of which they are completely clueless. The topper is I can only imagine the car wrecks of spawn they have produced.
When you see someone saying teachers don't generate income, or should "bid" on their jobs, you truly see how little some of your fellow citizens value or understand education.
They personify the phrase, "Ignorance is bliss".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
You're so uninformed it's quite unbelievable.

https://www.nvpers.org/public/help/faqs/#38
I believe the word you are looking for is "unenlightened". Take some advice from a 30 year veteran of city schools:

Don't listen to the dolts on these, or any, forums that criticize education. Listen to the parents of the students you teach. They will show you your true value. People like you do not teach because of the same intrinsic and extrinsic motivators that the crooks and thieves (who the knuckledraggers revere) have.

A teacher is not a member of the perverted and prostituted "capitalist" machine that is slowly driving this country into the ground. Your contribution to society is always a positive one that your students and parents will appreciate over the years. Their thanks is what matters, not what a bunch of drooling MAGAts think.

Do be prepared to have to fight for your compensation. Support your union, it will give you the support you need, but keep it accountable. Teachers are significantly more educated that the "average" worker, even many of their white collar equivalents. Use that education and knowledge. It is the only weapon you will have against the ignorance that is growing in our society daily.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,139,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Most of the ill-informed dimwits commenting on here would be reduced to a hair-pulling, screaming pile of gelatinous human waste if they actually spent a day trying to corral an actual class of public school students, especially middle schoolers.
They talk out of their a$$e$ about a job of which they are completely clueless. The topper is I can only imagine the car wrecks of spawn they have produced.
When you see someone saying teachers don't generate income, or should "bid" on their jobs, you truly see how little some of your fellow citizens value or understand education.

As I told kittam, you're more than welcome to show, with evidence, how a teacher brings in income over and above what they take in salary like sportsball players do.

My response, if you had bothered to actually read AND comprehend it, was explaining why sportsball players get millions and teachers don't.

I know you're a product of public schools and are deeply entrenched in the useless garbage they teach all day every day, so I'll forgive your oversight.

I'll try to explain it simpler.

There's 1,696 total football players allowed in the NFL

17 million tickets are sold per year for football games.

The average ticket price for 2018 was 100.26. I'm going to round down.

17 million tickets times 100 dollars = 1.7 BILLION dollars.

1.7 billion divided by 1696 players = 1,002,358 per player per year.
That is JUST ticket sales.
There's also television ads, licensing fees, etc etc etc.

Then we have merchandise sales like Jerseys, shoes, cups, hats, shirts etc etc etc.
On ebay alone Lebron jerseys are selling 200 a day. (I don't know any football players names)

Then there are endorsements.

The nfl brought in 14.2 BILLION dollars in 2017

14.2 billion divided by 1,696 = 8,372,641 per player.

Now, teachers.

There are approximately 3.6 million teachers.
Average teacher pay is 58,000 a year according to google.

208,800,000,000 per year

208 BILLION dollars.

Can you explain to me how teachers bring in 208 BILLION dollars per year?

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=28

Total education spending on k-12 is 649 BILLION. Can you explain how teachers bring in 649 BILLION dollars?

The fact is they don't. They don't bring in anything.

So that is why teachers don't get paid like sportsball stars.

That is NOT saying education isn't important. It's saying that sportsball stars bring in enough money to cover their high salary.

I have zero issue paying teachers an adequate wage for the area they live in so long as they teach USEFUL things instead of the garbage they currently teach.

Like, I'll gladly pay for a quality welder that will last a long time and do what I need it to do.

Why on earth would I pay anything for a welder that's going to break down and not do what I want it to do?
It will do nothing but cost me money and cause me problems.

Same goes for education. I'll gladly pay for quality education that produces quality adults.
I don't want to pay anything for subpar education that does nothing but churn out idiots.

You can argue all you want but America has trash education that produces trash adults. No amount of teacher pay is going to fix that. If teachers made a million a year, guess what, the kids they put out are still going to be idiots.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:47 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,039,841 times
Quote:

I believe the word you are looking for is "unenlightened". Take some advice from a 30 year veteran of city schools:

Don't listen to the dolts on these, or any, forums that criticize education. Listen to the parents of the students you teach. They will show you your true value. People like you do not teach because of the same intrinsic and extrinsic motivators that the crooks and thieves (who the knuckledraggers revere) have.

A teacher is not a member of the perverted and prostituted "capitalist" machine that is slowly driving this country into the ground. Your contribution to society is always a positive one that your students and parents will appreciate over the years. Their thanks is what matters, not what a bunch of drooling MAGAts think.

Do be prepared to have to fight for your compensation. Support your union, it will give you the support you need, but keep it accountable. Teachers are significantly more educated that the "average" worker, even many of their white collar equivalents. Use that education and knowledge. It is the only weapon you will have against the ignorance that is growing in our society daily.

You sound like that one teacher in junior high we all laughed at.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
As I told kittam, you're more than welcome to show, with evidence, how a teacher brings in income over and above what they take in salary like sportsball players do.

My response, if you had bothered to actually read AND comprehend it, was explaining why sportsball players get millions and teachers don't.

I know you're a product of public schools and are deeply entrenched in the useless garbage they teach all day every day, so I'll forgive your oversight.

I'll try to explain it simpler.

There's 1,696 total football players allowed in the NFL

17 million tickets are sold per year for football games.

The average ticket price for 2018 was 100.26. I'm going to round down.

17 million tickets times 100 dollars = 1.7 BILLION dollars.

1.7 billion divided by 1696 players = 1,002,358 per player per year.
That is JUST ticket sales.
There's also television ads, licensing fees, etc etc etc.

Then we have merchandise sales like Jerseys, shoes, cups, hats, shirts etc etc etc.
On ebay alone Lebron jerseys are selling 200 a day. (I don't know any football players names)

Then there are endorsements.

The nfl brought in 14.2 BILLION dollars in 2017

14.2 billion divided by 1,696 = 8,372,641 per player.

Now, teachers.

There are approximately 3.6 million teachers.
Average teacher pay is 58,000 a year according to google.

208,800,000,000 per year

208 BILLION dollars.

Can you explain to me how teachers bring in 208 BILLION dollars per year?

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=28

Total education spending on k-12 is 649 BILLION. Can you explain how teachers bring in 649 BILLION dollars?

The fact is they don't. They don't bring in anything.

So that is why teachers don't get paid like sportsball stars.

That is NOT saying education isn't important. It's saying that sportsball stars bring in enough money to cover their high salary.

I have zero issue paying teachers an adequate wage for the area they live in so long as they teach USEFUL things instead of the garbage they currently teach.

Like, I'll gladly pay for a quality welder that will last a long time and do what I need it to do.

Why on earth would I pay anything for a welder that's going to break down and not do what I want it to do?
It will do nothing but cost me money and cause me problems.

Same goes for education. I'll gladly pay for quality education that produces quality adults.
I don't want to pay anything for subpar education that does nothing but churn out idiots.

You can argue all you want but America has trash education that produces trash adults. No amount of teacher pay is going to fix that. If teachers made a million a year, guess what, the kids they put out are still going to be idiots.
Wow, you really have a comprehension problem. Teachers are civil servants that provide a public service. They are not involved in a profit generating enterprise. Duh. You wouldn't know quality education if it kicked you in the balls. Nor would you ever be able to afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You sound like that one teacher in junior high we all laughed at.
Noooooo, I was the one that made the rest of the class see what a clown you were and they told you to shut the hell up. Then, when I explained to your parents what a fool you were they slapped the **** out of you and thanked me for being such a concerned teacher. Then I failed your sorry ass at the end of the year and made you go to summer school.

Cold Warrior my ass.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 PM
EA

Quote:
Wow, you really have a comprehension problem. Teachers are civil servants that provide a public service. They are not involved in a profit generating enterprise. Duh. You wouldn't know quality education if it kicked you in the balls. Nor would you ever be able to afford it.

Coming from the guy that completely missed my point.... That's rich.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Coming from the guy that completely missed my point.... That's rich.
Point? You had a point in that meandering swamp sludge? WHY would anyone compare pro athletes and teachers? If all the pro athletes disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't mean crap to the world. If all the teachers disappeared tomorrow I venture to guess that a few people would be upset.

I couldn't care less what a pro athlete makes. No teacher I ever knew expected to become wealthy doing their job. As educated professionals providing an essential public service we expected pay parity with private sector counterparts but knew that would never happen.

Your opinion of teachers means nothing to any teacher in this world. The only people we care about are those making the decisions. They have never said that teachers are worthless and know damn well how important teachers are. That said, some of them still are reluctant to pay teachers their worth as professionals. Again, I'm pretty sure none of them asked you your opinion on the matter nor would they take your ridiculous arguments seriously.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 PM
EA

Quote:
Point? You had a point in that meandering swamp sludge? WHY would anyone compare pro athletes and teachers? If all the pro athletes disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't mean crap to the world. If all the teachers disappeared tomorrow I venture to guess that a few people would be upset.

I couldn't care less what a pro athlete makes. No teacher I ever knew expected to become wealthy doing their job. As educated professionals providing an essential public service we expected pay parity with private sector counterparts but knew that would never happen.

Your opinion of teachers means nothing to any teacher in this world. The only people we care about are those making the decisions. They have never said that teachers are worthless and know damn well how important teachers are. That said, some of them still are reluctant to pay teachers their worth as professionals. Again, I'm pretty sure none of them asked you your opinion on the matter nor would they take your ridiculous arguments seriously.

So, you didn't read it, but want to tell me how wrong I am while claiming to be superior.
That is hilarious and only proves my point more.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,789,613 times
Darn, I ran out of popcorn. Need to make some more. And maybe a glass of whiskey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas