Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2023, 09:03 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times

Advertisements

Is your credit bad? CA doesn't allow credit score to be considered for your premium but NV does. In the end though car insurance is highly regulated and the rates are just a function of claims. Shop around for sure, some companies have had worse histories with claims in recent years and are forced to increase premiums.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 02:17 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,338,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Park your car in the garage at night. There are way too many thefts of the catalytic converter.
CA has 1,600 stolen per month. Nevada had 1,900 all of last year. I'll be fine thanks

Old 01-02-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
CA has 1,600 stolen per month. Nevada had 1,900 all of last year. I'll be fine thanks
California has 12 times the population and 10 times the number of thefts. So Nevada is less safe in this regard. But your math comprehension is fine thanks!

Old 01-02-2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
California has 12 times the population and 10 times the number of thefts. So Nevada is less safe in this regard. But your math comprehension is fine thanks!
CA leads the nation in vehicle thefts, and by a lot. 168k last year. Nevada only had just over 10k and didnt even crack the top 30. Some locals (mostly in the Summerlin bubble who think anywhere they even see a homeless person is the ghetto) act like Vegas is a crime ridden ghetto but its really not. Its actually in the top 15 safest cities in the country for its size. Ive lived in parts of CA that are MUCH worse than any part of Vegas. Thanks

Old 01-03-2023, 06:00 AM

399 posts, read 563,528 times
To date, I've lived in: NC, SC, FL, NV, AK, CO, UK and ID....Nevada has the highest registration and insurance costs. You asked why, we told you. In 2010 when I first moved to NV I asked my insurance company (USAA) why my rate doubled? They said theft, property crime and accidents. You can argue CA vs. NV crime stats all you want...but those are the reasons that NV insurance rates are high.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:54 AM

7,789 posts, read 3,803,815 times
Q: Why do insurance companies charge more in NV?

A: Because they can. Customers do not cancel their insurance policies (at least not at any significant rate). So, better questions would be:

1) Why don't insurance companies charge even more in NV than they currently charge?
2) Why don't insurance companies charge even more in CA than they currently charge?

Old 01-03-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
To date, I've lived in: NC, SC, FL, NV, AK, CO, UK and ID....Nevada has the highest registration and insurance costs. You asked why, we told you. In 2010 when I first moved to NV I asked my insurance company (USAA) why my rate doubled? They said theft, property crime and accidents. You can argue CA vs. NV crime stats all you want...but those are the reasons that NV insurance rates are high.
CA has at least 5 times the number of thefts, property crimes and accidents as NV. There are over 3 times as many people in LA county alone as the entire state of NV. Makes zero sense but oh well.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Q: Why do insurance companies charge more in NV?

A: Because they can. Customers do not cancel their insurance policies (at least not at any significant rate). So, better questions would be:

1) Why don't insurance companies charge even more in NV than they currently charge?
2) Why don't insurance companies charge even more in CA than they currently charge?
Most kinds of insurance are highly regulated in every state, they can't just charge whatever they'd like to the collective group of insureds. If the premiums collected are too high over time to pay out claims they are required to lower their rates and vice versa if they didn't collect enough premiums. Its a set formula that you can look up if you want. The rate charts are also required to be filed and the public can look through them online. Its a lot of numbers and I doubt anyone wants to look through these, but its there to see if you so choose.

If insurance is higher its because claims paid have been higher. The insurance companies are in this business because it delivers a small, but virtually guaranteed profit and it also gives them access to the premium fund accounts which they can invest and keep some or all of the gains from depending on their legal structure. Every state recognized long ago if they didn't regulate the business like this it would act like a monopoly and charge a lot more money than they are allowed to under regulation.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Most kinds of insurance are highly regulated in every state, they can't just charge whatever they'd like to the collective group of insureds. If the premiums collected are too high over time to pay out claims they are required to lower their rates and vice versa if they didn't collect enough premiums. Its a set formula that you can look up if you want. The rate charts are also required to be filed and the public can look through them online. Its a lot of numbers and I doubt anyone wants to look through these, but its there to see if you so choose.

If insurance is higher its because claims paid have been higher. The insurance companies are in this business because it delivers a small, but virtually guaranteed profit and it also gives them access to the premium fund accounts which they can invest and keep some or all of the gains from depending on their legal structure. Every state recognized long ago if they didn't regulate the business like this it would act like a monopoly and charge a lot more money than they are allowed to under regulation.
Thank you. This makes more sense than most the other responses I got.

Old 01-04-2023, 12:21 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
CA has at least 5 times the number of thefts, property crimes and accidents as NV. There are over 3 times as many people in LA county alone as the entire state of NV. Makes zero sense but oh well.
CA has over 10x as many people. More like 12x. If it only has 5x the number of thefts/crimes/etc, then California is better off. Basic per capita math. Sounds like California is much less dangerous, by your numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: