Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:51 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times

Advertisements

I think that it is a combination of all the above. Could be plain ole human error. Not very acceptable, but it does happen. There were 2 guys that died on the MGM project here in Detroit (that was reported or that we found out about, I think they were heart attacks that were not the cause of safety neglect-project was small in comparison though) and there are those who abuse the safety restrictions set forth. Whether it is drugs, drinking or just plain stupidity about not following the proper protocol. It did seem though, that they were written up or sent home for even the slightest violation (like not having safety glasses on...) There was also a language barrier here too for many of the workers. What can you do if you don't speak the language? All the signs have a couple different languages on them but if you have to say it to someone who doesn't understand...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I believe this to be human error. I personally know a whole lot of people who work there being in the business I am in. Perhaps listening to the news, which never ever ever tells the truth (or at least does not tell the whole story), the news should ask some of the workers directly of thier opinions.

I spoke to a man at the hospital today and he said he works 4 twelve hour days + two more for the overtime at City Center. He takes himself one day a week off. How many of you can stay sharp in any situation, especially a rutene robotic situation after 12 straight hours? Another person I know does 5 ten hour days working heavy eqpt. He tells me when ever I see him how exausted he is but he feels he has to make the money while he can. With all that overtime these guys are making massive dollars.

I have not talked to anyone on that job who ever said there is unsafe conditions. No one is on drugs or booz because nearly every one is getting random tested quite often.

This strike seems to be a bunch of hogwash. An excuse to raise hell and make the victims family better as well as make OSHA feel like they care. No one cares. Ask any worker there. They are there for the big bucks. No worker there is thinking about getting hurt that day. Just like none of us go out thinking we will not get into a crash on I-15 today.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:03 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
You guys are Killing me, First blame the non-English speaking(when in fact it has only be ONE confirm hispanic that was killed), then blame drugs and alcohol LOL, and now saying big companies like Perini has strict safety laws? Give me a break, Perini has only held one job safety meeting this year lol(most do them every MONTH!)

KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. Timeline Of Accidents At Project CityCenter (http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=8420231 - broken link)

I do agree workers need to be accountable for their actions and take extra caution.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
This strike seems to be a bunch of hogwash. An excuse to raise hell and make the victims family better as well as make OSHA feel like they care. No one cares. Ask any worker there. They are there for the big bucks. No worker there is thinking about getting hurt that day. Just like none of us go out thinking we will not get into a crash on I-15 today.
Those are words that are normally spoken by a true RAT. Oh'well I think the strike will do a lot of good on that job site.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:41 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
You guys are Killing me, First blame the non-English speaking(when in fact it has only be ONE confirm hispanic that was killed), then blame drugs and alcohol LOL, and now saying big companies like Perini has strict safety laws? Give me a break, Perini has only held one job safety meeting this year lol(most do them every MONTH!)

KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. Timeline Of Accidents At Project CityCenter (http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=8420231 - broken link)

I do agree workers need to be accountable for their actions and take extra caution.
And where in that article does it say that Perini has only held one safety meeting this year? Or are you basing that on "I've got a friend who's uncle works there, and he said he heard from the laborer's brother that there's only been one safety meeting all year". I call BS.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:

Ok, I thought it was 2 hispanics killed? Anyway I wasn't 100% on what project that they were talking about in the news when they mentioned that "non English speakers" would cause safety issues. The booze and drugs is something I heard on the radio this morning on a local talk show. People would call in and would say that they know people who had drug and alcohol problems and would go to work like that. Again, this is all speculation because I really do not have any hard facts, and really no one else on this forum unless you really work at the site. I really hate to see people die on the job and it does happen. I hope they get their act together!

It happens in my line of work also. There were a few guys that died from lightning strikes in AZ and FL and there was a guy in Henderson a few years back that was struck in the head from an exploding filter lid.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And where in that article does it say that Perini has only held one safety meeting this year? Or are you basing that on "I've got a friend who's uncle works there, and he said he heard from the laborer's brother that there's only been one safety meeting all year". I call BS.
Check your inbox

Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Those are words that are normally spoken by a true RAT. Oh'well I think the strike will do a lot of good on that job site.
And what do you mean by that? No RAT here mr union man. Listen here. I am for the working man. I am for the blue collar man and may management, bosses, supervisors and any one in charge be damned.

My dad was a union man all his life. He was voted by the men as shop steward year after year after year. I took his place. I fought for everything I could to help out my fellow blue collar workers. I attended wage and benifits meetings and watched the union bosses with the Mr T gold chains wrapped around thier necks with rings the size of thier fist. The massive Caddy Eldorados they drove. I smelled the criminal activity and the dirty money. I still worked with those clowns for my men to get them a decent wage.

I long since left that working for some other slob crap at the expense of my own time and pride long ago. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the working slobs are making the boss wealthy while we continued to bring home the same unchanged pay check weekly. I started my own business and vowed to be better then the company I worked for and steal all his customers. That entrepreneurial spirit took over my body when I was in my early 20s and I never looked back.

You have your definition of RAT a little bit wrong. A lot wrong.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM

278 posts, read 1,083,721 times
Default Strikes over

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=8415340

Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 PM

99 posts, read 416,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
And what do you mean by that? No RAT here mr union man. Listen here. I am for the working man. I am for the blue collar man and may management, bosses, supervisors and any one in charge be damned.

My dad was a union man all his life. He was voted by the men as shop steward year after year after year. I took his place. I fought for everything I could to help out my fellow blue collar workers. I attended wage and benifits meetings and watched the union bosses with the Mr T gold chains wrapped around thier necks with rings the size of thier fist. The massive Caddy Eldorados they drove. I smelled the criminal activity and the dirty money. I still worked with those clowns for my men to get them a decent wage.

I long since left that working for some other slob crap at the expense of my own time and pride long ago. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the working slobs are making the boss wealthy while we continued to bring home the same unchanged pay check weekly. I started my own business and vowed to be better then the company I worked for and steal all his customers. That entrepreneurial spirit took over my body when I was in my early 20s and I never looked back.

You have your definition of RAT a little bit wrong. A lot wrong.

Pardon me, but is this site ruled by 5 or 6 old, curmudgeons who think they have their pulse on the sentiments of the society at large? I hate to read the provincial ideas espoused on/in this forum, as I plan to move to Vegas to educate the young and make it my home. Give me a f-ing break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas