Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:09 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times

Advertisements

KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. CityCenter Project Death (http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=8405515 - broken link)

O'boy that job is about as unsafe as they come, I'm surprise OSHA hasn't set up camp out there 24/7, they(Preni) probably have them in their pockets thru gov. campaign contributions. LOL What they don't tell you is all of the serious non-fatal accidents, I hear there's a lot.

any thoughts?

Last edited by usc619; 06-01-2008 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 05:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard that a few of the ones that were killed do not speak very good English. I hear that communication is sometimes a problem when someone doesn't speak English well and cannot understand all that is required about safety. I've been to some 3rd world countries and you would almost have a heart attack on how they do construction. I've seen construction workers without hard hats and wear flip flops while they are constructing a sky scraper.!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard that a few of the ones that were killed do not speak very good English. I hear that communication is sometimes a problem when someone doesn't speak English well and cannot understand all that is required about safety. I've been to some 3rd world countries and you would almost have a heart attack on how they do construction. I've seen construction workers without hard hats and wear flip flops while they are constructing a sky scraper.!

I agree. We were in Cancun recently and they were still do recovery building from the hurricane and yikes! they hang off those bldgs in some crazy ways! That being said, it is still sad and that is where my husband will be working. Although, being a painter I don't think he will be in too many crazy situations-never know though. He has worked for Perini before. I don't think they are his favorite.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
I've heard that most of the deaths were language-related too.

Communication is so crucial in things like this.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I've heard that most of the deaths were language-related too.

Communication is so crucial in things like this.
Funny you guys keep saying that when the last 3 guys who died were Caucasian and 4 of the 6 (or 7) who were killed was white, not to mention how many more were involve in non fatal accidents

Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Funny you guys keep saying that when the last 3 guys who died were Caucasian and 4 of the 6 (or 7) who were killed was white, not to mention how many more were involve in non fatal accidents
I know at least 3 were hispanic from my memory.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I know at least 3 were hispanic from my memory.
the last four were

1. Iron Worker(white) fall death
2. Electrician(white) fall death
3. Man lift mechanic (white) cut in half death
4. Electrician (white) Cut up in a fight not dead
5. Iron Worker(not sure) smash by a falling beam, not dead
6. Iron Worker(not sure) smash by another beam, not dead

Those were the last 6 accidents I've know about first hand info, btw; Most Union Iron Workers I know of are White or at the very least know how to speak perfect English

Las Vegas Now | Union Workers Worry About Safety Umm Dustin Tartar was the name of the last guy

Old 06-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Ok, I could be wrong, but I remember the news was making a fuss about this last time. Maybe it was another property. I know 2 hispanic guys died when something crushed them. They blamed that on mis-communication or lack there-off. Didn't some guy fall from an elevator shaft and his safety straps broke?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
usc - neither us were stating it as absolute fact. We were just adding what we had heard.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Ok, I could be wrong, but I remember the news was making a fuss about this last time. Maybe it was another property. I know 2 hispanic guys died when something crushed them. They blamed that on mis-communication or lack there-off. Didn't some guy fall from an elevator shaft and his safety straps broke?
I think that was a concrete wall that fell on them and yes they were Hispanic, as for the elevator incident that was the Man lift mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas