Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2023, 03:31 PM

16 posts, read 39,927 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

The family and I have been considering relocation for a couple years now, and we may have narrowed it down to Las Vegas and a couple other places. I just have a few questions

1. Does Las Vegas experience summer wildfire smoke? I've been to the Reno area several times, and there's been wildfires so bad, that it literally rains black ash from the sky. How does Vegas fare with wildfires each summer, and do any of the fires from California ever drift into Vegas and make the air quality bad? How big of a concern is this in LV?

2. I may have found a house in the 89130 zip code. Can anybody tell me about this area, and how safe it is? We have young kids, and really would like to know how crime is in this area? If it's not a safe area, please let me know

3. What is the earthquake risk in Vegas? Are there any major faults nearby and are earthquakes a concern? Again, I mention Reno, because I know it's one of the most seismically active areas in the western US. What about Vegas?

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2023, 05:42 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
I've been here about 5 years.

1. There has been some minor smoke from CA, but nothing nearly as bad as Reno. It had no affect on me.

2. I'm not familiar with that area but it's close to Centennial Hills and Lone Mountain, both good areas.

3. I felt a very minor tremor from a CA earthquake once since I've been here. I'm not concerned about them. You can get info on Google about faults and seismic activity in the Vegas area.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:28 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
We are in our mid 70's and been in Henderson two months now. We like visiting Vegas, but would never live there. In fact, we've decided that Henderson isn't for us. When our 1-year lease is up, we will move up towards Carson City/Reno. Of course that means "back into winter", but we have all of our winter clothes from northern Colorado. And, the winters in Carson City/Reno aren't like northern Colorado at all.

There are those, and we've met them, that absolutely love Henderson and Las Vegas. But, one thing for sure, it's not cheap to live in either city............well, the nice areas anyway.

Old 11-14-2023, 02:38 PM

83 posts, read 67,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLetch1 View Post
Hello all!

The family and I have been considering relocation for a couple years now, and we may have narrowed it down to Las Vegas and a couple other places. I just have a few questions

1. Does Las Vegas experience summer wildfire smoke? I've been to the Reno area several times, and there's been wildfires so bad, that it literally rains black ash from the sky. How does Vegas fare with wildfires each summer, and do any of the fires from California ever drift into Vegas and make the air quality bad? How big of a concern is this in LV?

2. I may have found a house in the 89130 zip code. Can anybody tell me about this area, and how safe it is? We have young kids, and really would like to know how crime is in this area? If it's not a safe area, please let me know

3. What is the earthquake risk in Vegas? Are there any major faults nearby and are earthquakes a concern? Again, I mention Reno, because I know it's one of the most seismically active areas in the western US. What about Vegas?

Thank you for your time!
As far as #2 here is a site you can look at.

https://opendata-lvmpd.hub.arcgis.com/

1. Yes there is occasionally smoke but not bad. The smog is usually worse then the smoke but you really don't notice it unless you are up above the valley floor. Coming in from Pahrump it is readily visible. There are quite a few websites to check air quality. For the most part LV air quality runs in the good range IIRC.

3. There are earthquakes but seldom felt. Nevada is the country's third most seismically active state, and Las Vegas has seven faults around the valley. No better than worse than many parts of the US. The occasional snow event is more of a concern for me. People go nuts in the snow, just saying.

bob

Old 11-14-2023, 03:39 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
I read your other posts before I decided to answer your questions. Our family lived in LV for close to 30 years and we raised our kids in Summerlin. Hubby and I retired and moved to FL. Our kids went to colleges out of state and made their lives in other parts of the country. They've described Las Vegas as being "soulless" whatever that means. They're millennials so I don't understand a lot of what they say

LV is in a valley so smoke from wildfires gets "stuck" in the valley. It wasn't pleasant but I don't think we ever had any ash floating down - at least not where we lived.

As far as safety goes, the 89130 area isn't great but Summerlin and Green Valley have also declined so if I were to live in LV again it would only be in a gated community. Keep in mind our last house was in a gated community in Summerlin and there were still break-ins. The link that others posted from Metro is a true indication of what goes on. I would pay attention to it.

In all the years we were there we only "felt" an earthquake a few times but I understand they do happen more often but just aren't of a magnitude high enough to be bothersome.

On another post you were concerned about scorpions. They're in LV and they are very difficult to get rid of. The smaller ones (bark scorpions) are said to have been brought into the area from AZ years ago and they like LV very much. We've had them in our houses but we were never stung. I don't miss them at all.

The Mormon church has a significant presence in LV and my kids had many Mormon friends growing up.

Feel free to DM me if you'd like.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:45 AM

399 posts, read 563,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLetch1 View Post
Hello all!

10 years in LV...relocated. Lived in 89144 and 89138, kids in public/charter Summerlin schools.

1. Yes...plan on light smoke randomly through the summer and bad smoke / low air quality occasionally when there is fire / burning on Charleston. This is a hard thing to plan for because it depends on west coast fires and jet stream. Based on what we've seen the past several years, one would have to assume smoke will become more frequent in upcoming years...not less.

2. I don't think 89130 is a great area...and no, I wouldn't raise my kids there. You didn't mention your budget, employment, etc. so it is hard to recommend other areas...but I would not live there.

3. Felt 2 earthquakes in 10 years...minimal to no activity.

Good luck

Old 11-15-2023, 08:40 PM

48 posts, read 51,868 times
North of the 215 is nicer than 89130, we have been in 89143 for 2+ years and haven't had any issues whatsoever.
We've had very minor smoke from Cali fires a couple of times, but hasn't bothered us at all.
No earthquakes since we got here, a couple of tiny scorpions that the wife spotted and I could barely see when she pointed them out.
You didn't mention budget, but the Skye Canyon community to the west of us, is an extremely nice and fast growing area.

Good luck to you

Last edited by cunningja; 11-15-2023 at 09:56 PM..

Old 11-15-2023, 08:53 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
You should work with a good realtor who can tell you about the zip codes and good and bad areas. That's what I did and it helped me a lot. I lived in Providence (89149) for a year, very nice area close to Centennial Hills and Aliante, both good areas. The thing about Vegas is, it can go from good to bad very quickly. You need to have boots on the ground to see the house and the surrounding area.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:30 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
^^^Very true movin1. That's one of the peculiarities about LV. Just crossing over a major street can make the difference between a nice safe neighborhood and a sketchy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas