Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times

Advertisements

There are some quite nice neighborhoods in 89156 and they often will have an hispanic flair. Note though that it is intermixed with some older and less desirable areas. It is quite rough in spots...quite nice in others.

89031 and 89084 work. Note that it is possible to buy reasonably nice 3/4 BR homes in those areas for 200K. Many of those neighborhoods have an hispanic overtone. As you go south it gets more hispanic. If school age children, particularly high school children, be cautious. There are some poor schools in some of that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 04:07 PM

571 posts, read 1,931,989 times
I am getting so overwhelmed by all these areas and zip codes and numbers !!
Other than North Las Vegas .. and I guess downtown.. what are the parts to avoid ?

Thank you for the tips..

So far on my list I have Aliante, Spring Valley, and Summerlin as being safe and nice - is this correct?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It's fasinating that you knew that little trick with the alt 164 thing. I guess there are codes to make that stupid upsidedown question mark too.

But since this is the United States having one and only one official language being English, then I flat out refuse to step down to that language. I say it or spell it like it sounds.

Not really picking on ya Buzz but that subject hits a sore spot in many of us.
Since when is education a bad thing? You mean that learning another language is bad? Or is it OK as long as it isn't Spanish? Don't tell me you're another Mexican hater? You seem so nice.

Step down? Maybe you didn't know that the largest portion of our language is latin-based. Languages like Spanish, Italian, and French were here long before English, and knowing a little about them makes English more understandable.

Do you realize that most people that speak Spanish and other languages also speak English and other languages? How many do you speak?

Sorry, but I don't hate Hispanics since some of my relatives, including my granddaughter, are Hispanic, as are quite a few of my close friends.

And since you asked, the upside down question mark ¿ is alt 168. Try it. It's fun. And alt 171 gives you ½, which is how much of a brain it takes to see that you are obviously a racist.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
I am getting so overwhelmed by all these areas and zip codes and numbers !!
Other than North Las Vegas .. and I guess downtown.. what are the parts to avoid ?

Thank you for the tips..

So far on my list I have Aliante, Spring Valley, and Summerlin as being safe and nice - is this correct?

Go to the crime chart at ...

Crime in Las Vegas

Anything green or yellow is OK. These pretty well correspond with cost. Green the most, yellow next. Orange areas right next to yellow or green are likely ok also. The northern sections of 89031 for instance are OK. The southern sections however should be approached cautiously.

There are actually great areas even in the red zones. But that is only for those who know the specific area. Newbies should not go there.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:53 PM

Also this zip code map which I think I got from olecapt might help.

Las Vegas Zip Code Map - Henderson Zip Code Map - Zip Codes

Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM

Oops. Should have looked at olecapt's link first.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 PM

Oh thanks for the links! I was looking at the las vegas police maps but could only look by zip code ..

Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Hmm interesting .. I could probably afford more than 200k it's just that I wanted to somehow help my in-laws find a home.. we'd prefer a duplex but I just don't see those around much in Vegas.. My husband's parents are getting older and my MIL is sick .. they still have 2 school-age kids and they all need alot of help .. and I would prefer of course not to have them in my home (haha) but to help them get their own.. somehow..
Would they be able to make the payments or are you talking about totally taking care of them?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 PM

They would be able to make most of it .. with us helping .. and I doubt they could get a loan .. it's unfortunate but you can't abandon family ! Those kids (11 and 15) are like my own children .. My tentative plan I guess is to move out to Vegas in a year or 2 and share a house at first until something else can be worked out ..

Old 06-25-2008, 08:00 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Actually 89031 is pretty nice. When I purchased my home in 2005 I looked at 89031 and 89131. I went with 89131 because of the schools as I have an 8 year old who at the time was getting ready to start kindergarten. I did find a house that I really liked in an area that I liked in 89031 though. Plenty of amenities such as grocery stores, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, resteraunts, etc. I don't know that you will be able to buy a home for less than $200K there though. There might be some listed under that price point but closing on it is a different story. I think that between $200K and $250K though you will have plenty of options.
89031 is not bad at all indeed.
Prices have dropped but to what point is hard to figure out due to the highest foreclosure rate in the valley.
This zip code has a measurable # of hispanics which can make the husband feel at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas