Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:41 AM

464 posts, read 1,361,179 times

Advertisements

OK I been all over Texas rooms asking how do people feel about Dallas and Houston; but in the back of my mind I been thinking about Vegas because before I left Miami I had a friend who wanted to move to Vegas and told all of our friends he was moving; then at the last moment he bailed out and never went.

So now that I'm 1300 miles closer and not getting along with the Texas terrain; I was thinking about Vegas. Vegas seems like a small city but ALOT going on. I tell everyone here that the driving distances in Texas are too far; seems like everytime I leave the house I put 100 miles on my trip meter. But there's also 100 other reasons why I thought about moving; which I wont go into b/c I want to know all about Vegas...

So the question is; do you think someone from Miami would like Vegas? Or is there any big drawbacks that would make me want to re-consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 02:14 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Do a lot of research yourself first. Rent out your home in Texas if it doesn't work out here.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:59 AM

59 posts, read 350,390 times
Moving to Vegas on a whim is not such a great Idea. You can't move here blind. Take some time to visit first. See the city first hand without tying yourself down to it and do a little research. Just because it sounds like a good idea doesn't mean it is. Too many people have the wrong idea of Vegas and learn quickly that this town isn't necessarily right for them.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,101 times
Applause to byebyevegas above...well said. I second it

Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 AM

12 posts, read 17,813 times
Hello, I plan on moving out sometime in the near/not too distant future. Besides the weather and such what do you think are the reasons why it wouldn't be for someone? I'm trying to gather as much info. as possible and listening to the locals seems like the best info. available. Thank you.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:05 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
I moved here on somewhat of a "whim". I decided that the time was right to leave California (had been thinking about it for some time) and I wanted to be in a reasonably sized city, but I didn't want to be too far from my friends and family. That basically left two options - Las Vegas and Phoenix. Arizona has never had any draw for me, but the history of Nevada is kind of interesting. The choice was pretty simple.

That said, I like Las Vegas just fine. It's not really any different than any other decent sized city as far as most things go. I've never been to Florida (except for passing through while changing planes), but I'd guess that the main difference you're going to notice is with the weather. It's hotter here in the summer and colder in the winter, but the humidity you find in Florida doesn't exist. A humid day for us is when the relative humidity hits double digits...

Don't know if/how much that helped, but there it is.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM

12 posts, read 17,813 times
Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking about moving for some time and like you I live in CA, and don't want to move too far. I am pretty much burned out on L.A., and am willing to try something different for a change. I won't be leaving behind any six figure corporate job or anything like that so my risk is minimal. I love the Desert and always have, I have some family in Kingman AZ, and some in Bullhead. So I have an idea of what it's like. BUT, I won't know for sure until I actually live there LOL.

Last edited by RY35AN; 08-20-2008 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Add comment

Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Note that we have no ocean. For those into oceans that is a big deal. Lake Mead does not substitute. Other than that...So CA and FL don't have a prayer.

Back to the basics however. Before we can talk to you - you must review the basics...

Welcome to Las Vegas

Old 08-20-2008, 07:44 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
The pace of Las Vegas is very different from other cities. It is a very fast paced environment. If you are a person on a high revved kinda of vibe, Vegas might work for you. It doesn't matter what kind of work you do; it just seems that Las Vegas moves faster than other places. I worked in the school district and some days when it was super busy, I was really happy. Just my two cents.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 PM

464 posts, read 1,361,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Note that we have no ocean. For those into oceans that is a big deal. Lake Mead does not substitute. Other than that...So CA and FL don't have a prayer.

Back to the basics however. Before we can talk to you - you must review the basics...

Welcome to Las Vegas
LOL; funny, true, but a bit misleading and generalized. Seems like nowadays everyone is bent on having things perfect before you move...yet local Vegans dont usually trust "tourists"? If thats true, then it wouldnt be so easy to line up work beforehand.

But I can assume a place like Vegas; as Miami...does need some careful planning beforehand simply because....I mean its always wise to have a backup supply available, but not all the time is that possible

If anything the article made me lose some interest in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: