Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Thanks. I was born and raised in Miami and still have many family and friends down here. This will just be a "vacation" home since we usually make a few trips a year down here. I could even use it as a partial investment property should I so choose since these units rent for ~$4000/month in the winter.
Wow! Guess I am glad I didn't inquire about renting!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
^good news. The sister decided not to come out. She always threatens(promises)to, but never quite materializes. Ever since she found religion she has totally changed. In a very irritating way. Along with a few more family members that also found religion. So, if I were to find religion, which probably won't happen, but if I did, would I also turn into a Stepford wife?
In my books, this warrants a nice pricey Thank-You card!

I've got religious nuts everywhere in my family. My brother-in-law recently had bypass surgery, on Facebook, the day before the operation, my sister asked for prayers, and there must have been 30 comments: I'm praying, I'm praying!

Skip ahead two weeks: My husband is back in the hospital in Intensive Care, serious problems have developed, he may not make it! More prayers asked for: I'm praying! I'm praying! On and on and on!

Being a fatalist, I never commented at all! Spank my butt, all of you!!!

Why didn't the first round of prayers work??????????????????????????????????????????

This man took early retirement at 55, now 65, past problems with alcoholism, smoking, being overweight.
What's he been doing to take care of his health these past 10 years?

If I die prematurely from not giving up my smoking habit, save the prayers!!! I deserved it!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 PM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In my books, this warrants a nice pricey Thank-You card!

I've got religious nuts everywhere in my family. My brother-in-law recently had bypass surgery, on Facebook, the day before the operation, my sister asked for prayers, and there must have been 30 comments: I'm praying, I'm praying!

Skip ahead two weeks: My husband is back in the hospital in Intensive Care, serious problems have developed, he may not make it! More prayers asked for: I'm praying! I'm praying! On and on and on!

Being a fatalist, I never commented at all! Spank my butt, all of you!!!

Why didn't the first round of prayers work??????????????????????????????????????????

This man took early retirement at 55, now 65, past problems with alcoholism, smoking, being overweight.
What's he been doing to take care of his health these past 10 years?

If I die prematurely from not giving up my smoking habit, save the prayers!!! I deserved it!!!
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/he...anted=all&_r=0

Large scientific study on the effectiveness of prayer on hospitalized patients undergoing heart surgery.

Draw your own conclusions.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
^good news. The sister decided not to come out. She always threatens(promises)to, but never quite materializes. Ever since she found religion she has totally changed. In a very irritating way. Along with a few more family members that also found religion. So, if I were to find religion, which probably won't happen, but if I did, would I also turn into a Stepford wife?
It's many years since I saw 'The Stepford Wives.' There was a re-make, I never saw that. Didn't all the women turn into wonderful, obedient wives? They seemed very happy, and baked nice cakes as I remember. Could you find true happiness in this role Pink?

We don't get many people here finding religion. Many churches closing. I was stood waiting for a bus during my first visit to America. A guy next to me started chatting. Before I knew it, he opened his case. It was full of religious leaflets. He started giving me the full 'born again' routine. I was speechless, not having come across anyone like this in my life. Luckily, a lady rescued me, pretending to be a relative. I don't think he believed her. She was a black lady.........

Old 10-10-2012, 02:38 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It's many years since I saw 'The Stepford Wives.' There was a re-make, I never saw that. Didn't all the women turn into wonderful, obedient wives? They seemed very happy, and baked nice cakes as I remember. Could you find true happiness in this role Pink?
I think that would be a fate worse than death to be happy Holly Homemaker. Baking cakes? Can't do it. They always sag inward or fall apart. Cleaning the house? Hahahahahahahahahaha.
I like the idea of Stepford Men. They can all be turned into obedient husbands. That would be great since they don't hear their wives most of the time unless they whisper "food" or "sex."

Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
No Baja Fresh here. We ate at one when I was there last Sept. I thought it was "eh".
They used to be really good before they were bought out. Now it just tastes like fast food to me...

Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
I seem to always miss the good stories because I am probably reading or out walking. When was this on the news?
Me too. Although it's also a conscious decision as I found Las Vegas is much safer when I don't listen to the sensational news reporting that make it seem like you are on standby to be mugged, robbed and have your home invaded...

Although I do wonder why an entire neighborhood was blocked off by about 10 police cars yesterday morning out here in CH... hmmmm

Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
They used to be really good before they were bought out. Now it just tastes like fast food to me...
It (Baja Fresh) seemed similar to Chipotle or Q'Doba or Pancheros (not sure which of those are in the LV area) and I find all of them to be "eh." The veggie option on the menu is usually black beans (which I don't care for but can eat if it's my only option), rice (empty calories with no flavor), or green peppers and onions soaking is a greasy mess (I hate green peppers).

There's a local chain here that does a house-made veggie chorizo and it is delicious. I think other places need to be a bit more creative like that

Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/he...anted=all&_r=0

Large scientific study on the effectiveness of prayer on hospitalized patients undergoing heart surgery.

Draw your own conclusions.

When religious folks offer me prayers, I just say "Thank You". Same as I would if someone was telling me they are sending me positive thought or vibes.

If someone is wishing me well, I don't really care what form they choose. It's a kind, positive, gesture and I appreciate it.

If people try to tell me I'm going to hell or deserve to die because I don't follow their brand- That's a whole 'nother story and it just gets ugly from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas