Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times

Advertisements

[quote=las vegas drunk;21912139]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

Sorry, the link did not post. I saw it on RT and googled it. Hopefully this works.

US soldiers beating a sheep to appease Afghans? - YouTube
I cant believe this made the news back home. This is not that uncommon at all. I can at least say that the sheep will be cooked and devoured by everyone. This usually happens to goats. Never seen a sheep beaten though. Im not going to say that all animals are beaten to death then eaten but it does happen.

Most of the time the neck is sliced with a large blade for a quick death. But these guys found a way to have some entertainment out of their meal.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
When I was a kid it was ingrained into me from the time I could walk to stop at the curb, look both ways before crossing, and wait until the cars passed. And always cross at the corner. Today's parents were never taught that obviously, so they don't teach it to their own kids. We need a powerful PSA campaign that teaches that simple notion, not only to the kids, but their parents too. I'd be happy to produce them if nobody else does.
+1.

There seems to be a mentality of "I have the right of way, therefore no one will touch me & I'm immortal." I see it in young adults as well as children, too much hubris when 4000 pounds of metal is involved.

In March, I was in Florida for spring training (baseball) & almost killed a kid (teenager) in the Tampa area. Major thoroughfare, multi-lane road (almost a highway) with occasional lights. I'm approaching a light as it turns green, looks safe all around so I begin to accelerate. Thankfully I was being attentive; out of the corner of my eye I see a blur coming from the left, some teenager in baggy jeans was sprinting right in front of me (across a major road & against a red light). I slammed on the brakes just in time for him to brush the right front quarter panel of the car. One of his tennis shoes flew off; as I began to pull over to the right to see if he was alright, he grabbed his shoe & ran away. He had a guilty look on his face the looks of which I hadn't seen in some time, so my guess is he was running from some kind of wrongdoing. Even though I technically hadn't done wrong, my conscience kept nagging at me. "What if" I hadn't been attentive with quick reflexes? He winds up splattered all over my hood & windshield, and it would bother me to no end no matter how much he was in the wrong. I just don't understand how cavalier some pedestrians are with their life thinking the world will get out of the way for them.

While I'm well aware when I have the right of way as a pedestrian, I NEVER assume everyone's going to stop for me. Making that mistake one time could mean I lose against 4000+ pounds of metal; somehow I don't expect to win that battle. So, I try to be courteous & avoid the problem altogether.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:11 AM

233 posts, read 498,121 times
I don't even bother telling my kids they have the right of way. We cross when there are no cars. I walk with them to school most days, but on the days I can't I want them looking for cars and not have the false sense of security "you have the right of way" gives people.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
when I was a kid.[admittedly there were more horse n buggies then cars] we were taught that you STOPPED, LOOKED LEFT....then LOOKED RIGHT.... the LOOKED LEFT again....then and ONLY then did you cross....we knew that the pedestrian had the right of way but we also knew it didn't do you a lot of good if you were dead.

an if yo momma caught you crossin when there were cars she'd beat the livin he!! outta you......

Old 11-30-2011, 10:32 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
[quote=von949;21914987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I cant believe this made the news back home.
It really hasn't. The only one I saw covering it was Russia Today in that link.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 AM

233 posts, read 498,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
an if yo momma caught you crossin when there were cars she'd beat the livin he!! outta you......
I have let mine walk for most the week by themselves then stood where they couldn't see me at the cross walk to make sure they crossed right lol Like to keep them guessing. lol

Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha0608 View Post
I have let mine walk for most the week by themselves then stood where they couldn't see me at the cross walk to make sure they crossed right lol Like to keep them guessing. lol
SMART move.......Trust but Verify.....

Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
It wouldn't surprise me if people are trying to get hit by cars just so they can give a call to Glen Lerner and the gang of piranhas.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
There is a flip flop franchise in Las Vegas? And they made over a million bucks? I wonder if its the product or location?

Hot flip-flops make cool million - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hot-flip-flops-cool-million-164200308.html - broken link)

This quote explains it best...and makes you wonder.

Quote:
A flip flop store in Vegas where almost every 5 steps you take you can buy a pair.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if people are trying to get hit by cars just so they can give a call to Glen Lerner and the gang of piranhas.
Let's say you're a registered sex offender, a felon, with little or not prospects for gainful employment. You've tried and tried, no results, and you're homeless. What a bleak future!

Aha! If I get run over in a crosswalk, am left physically disabled, the government will take care of me in style. Don't need my legs to use the Internet or watch TV!

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, and we had this 25+YO overweight woman in our facility who was struck by a car, left disabled, and you'd never meet a happier woman alive! Think about it! She'll never have to work again, update her resume, as she plays on her laptop, watches TV, without a care in the world, now or ever!

And any # of us suspected, she did it deliberately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas