Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 03:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I find Las Vegas to be much dirtier. I comment on that every time I am in LV.
You spend your time in the wrong part of town ElleTea. You need to get out into the areas that are like Scottsdale. I expect actually LV is cleaner though not by huge amounts due to the nature of the deserts and the winds. We do get dusty winds but not to the degree Phoenix does.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:29 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You spend your time in the wrong part of town ElleTea. You need to get out into the areas that are like Scottsdale. I expect actually LV is cleaner though not by huge amounts due to the nature of the deserts and the winds. We do get dusty winds but not to the degree Phoenix does.
I actually do. I spend a lot of my time in Las Vegas in the Summerlin area, actually (and I am rarely in Scottsdale when I am in AZ). Just driving around the ENTIRE LV valley it seems dirtier to me. LV is also MUCH windier than Phoenix, but it isn't just dust that I am talking about when I say dirty. it's the amount of trash around, it's the parking lots of places, etc.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 PM

23,225 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
True. Driving in Arizona last year I passed through Jerome. It's a most unexpected treat.
Both Bisbee and Jerome are old mining towns. Bisbee was destined to become the San Francisco of Arizona, and once there, you can see the traces of San Francisco. It's a much more built up than Jerome, more solid, more civilized/urban and the last time there, coming into town, there was a sign: Roads maintained by the Gay and Lesbian community of Bisbee. Litter clean-up that is. Yes, the Gays moved into Bisbee and helped turn that mining town around.

I understand there's highly restrictive zoning laws in Jerome, and Bisbee, so even if you find a vacant parcel of land to build on, you're facing some severe restrictions as to what you can or can't build there, or even if you buy an existing structure.

Here in NV we have Austin, way SE of Reno, as an old mining town, and I've been there a few times, even stayed over there at the Lincoln Motel, but it doesn't quite compare with Jerome or Bisbee.

And, yes, Elle Tea, the wind, the biggest curse of living here! Average annual windspeed of 9.2MPH compared to 6.2 for Phoenix, and tied with L.A., lowest annual windspeeds in the country for major cities.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:14 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
The small city in Kansas I moved from to KC, Dodge City, actually has the highest avg. wind speeds in the U.S., 14.9MPH IIRC. Winds here the past two days in KC have my eyes red and itchy, or it's something blooming that has my allergies going bonkers and I'm having to buy eye drops and antihistamines.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:20 PM

Sunday morning, after work, I usually take my car for a long drive to burn out some carbon. Usually, I head north on I-15 to the U.S. 93 intersection and return. Last Sunday morning, I opted to take the freeway out to Boulder City. By the time I got to Railroad Pass I had a new name for Henderson, now renamed Brownderson!

Ever driven it? High brown sound walls on both sides of the freeway ad infinitum, and the times you aren't looking at walls, you get a peak at what lies out there. There's a huge area of houses before you ascend the hill, a community of dark chocolate houses! I can't imagine, I can't! Living in one of those houses, walking the streets, with brown, brown, brown, ad nauseum! Insane asylum here I come!

Another adjacent community, they used a different shade of brown!

And imagine living there, and to blend into the desert landscape, the reasoning behind the omnipresent browning of the Valley, they wore brown clothing and drove brown cars!

I'm so glad I live in East Central. Even in this late 1960's, 433 unit townhouse complex, we opted to put color into the facades of the townhouses, aqua, tan, burnt orange, deep red, greens. And in an older neighborhood adjacent, you see some nice colors in the houses.

Oh the horrors! Buying into a brown community and be forbidden to change the color!

Old 06-01-2017, 12:48 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
I live in a brown community, different shades of the crap. They need more color. At least a forest green would be much better. Hate!the brown all over. They do it because some idiot thinks we have to blend into our surroundings.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Brown houses are better than little pink houses. Right?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I live in a brown community, different shades of the crap. They need more color. At least a forest green would be much better. Hate!the brown all over. They do it because some idiot thinks we have to blend into our surroundings.
One nice difference you see in Phoenix is more variety of house colors. Various greens, greys, and even reds in some areas, and they still look nice with the desert/mountains behind them. It's much less beige than LV

Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 AM

The excuse I keep hearing: to blend in with the desert landscape.

Ok!!! Now what about Red Rocks?????

Where are the houses to help blend in with Red Rocks????

I feel sorry for these people stuck in these same color communities, who fervently wish they could paint their houses a brighter color. I'm sure, in some of these strict HOA communities, you can't even have a front door that's colored!

Imagine other cities in the country sharing our views, blend in with the landscape? What would Minneapolis or Des Moines or Dallas look like? Different shades of Green?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,312 times
EH, I dont care too much. I do like neutral w/red, green, blue etc. trim. We have new color palettes in our community so I do see a little more color.

I dont want to live next to a neon blue or pink house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas