Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 11:01 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,719,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
This message is for EA. It looks like the silver lining of the coronavirus is I am getting paid 3 times what I am normally paid and it has brought down car prices a lot. These Lexus's were running $8,000-$10,000 just a month ago, but now I am finding them for $5,000 in mint condition. Unlike my 1993 Geo Prizm, it appears that these have a timing belt which destroys the engine if it breaks. How much would you charge to do the timing and water pump on the car below? Since you know a lot about cars, would you buy this? Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Lexus-...p2047675.l2557
I can answer that question since I know these engines (3UZ v8 engines). These engines are bullet proof and they can go a lot of miles without any major failures and pretty much have no factory design defects. They do have a timing belt and the timing belt kits from Aisin are the ones i've used and can be had for under $200. Make sure this is done correctly because they are an interference engine (valves and pistons will hit each other when timing belt breaks) One thing to watch out for is the transmission fluid. Make sure it gets inspected and changed (usually a drain and fill will work) use only the toyota/lexus fluid on these trans. the LS430 is a great car

My suggestion is to find one close so you can have a mechanic of your choice inspect it before you purchase.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:05 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,515,554 times
Katietheheartbreaker - wow, thanks for that video on the unlikely friendship formed from a grocery store visit. The tears are just drying up now. Kids are so innocent and so unassuming. They're kept (or they should be, that is) from all of the evil the world contains. Beautiful video and it's so nice that they formed a lasting friendship. The old guy really needed that!

Old 04-11-2020, 11:12 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,283,765 times
I'm going to spend part of my stimulus money on more 'cool nights' Soma pajamas for home. I practically live in them with shelter-in-place these days. So comfortable! I need some new ones anyways. My current ones are getting ragged.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Mary Lee Gather - you aren't shopping for a new or used car? It's the American way, think Jay Leno. Hey, that's a cool car, I'd...ahh...I'd like to...I want a test drive of that car! Always being prepared to trade up. Funny, my Dad kept cars a long time, and my Mom, too. I caught the Leno bug for some reason, but can't produce the rigs I want to own, though.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:32 AM

395 posts, read 273,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
w00t!

I'm excited about the stimulus checks we're getting this week on Wednesday.

We're rich!

I didn't think I was getting anything but turns out we qualify since it's based on 2018 taxes.
I'd wait until you had the check or money in hand before celebrating.
I somehow doubt the money distribution will be as quick as is claimed.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Mary Lee Gather - you aren't shopping for a new or used car? It's the American way, think Jay Leno. Hey, that's a cool car, I'd...ahh...I'd like to...I want a test drive of that car! Always being prepared to trade up. Funny, my Dad kept cars a long time, and my Mom, too. I caught the Leno bug for some reason, but can't produce the rigs I want to own, though.
lol - Nah. We bought a 2019 Toyota Camry before moving back here after I crashed our 2017 Toyota Corolla in 2018. We only had it a year but got such a good deal on it that we didn't lose money in the accident and we were able to buy another new car when the end of the year sales were happening for a good price. Personally, I didn't want another Toyota after the way the last one crumpled in the crash but these newer models are more sporty and so nice with the full retractable roofs and all these high tech features. Plus it's what my husband wanted so I went with it. Gets great gas mileage and don't have to worry about maintenance for awhile.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
I'd wait until you had the check or money in hand before celebrating.
I somehow doubt the money distribution will be as quick as is claimed.
No doubt. They're supposed to roll out this week starting Monday with most reaching accounts by direct deposit by Wednesday. Some will get it as late as Friday, but it's just like electronic deposits with the IRS so there shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're one of those poor folks that opts for a paper check on tax returns. Then you may not see cash in hand until September.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
lol - Nah. We bought a 2019 Toyota Camry before moving back here after I crashed our 2017 Toyota Corolla in 2018. We only had it a year but got such a good deal on it that we didn't lose money in the accident and we were able to buy another new car when the end of the year sales were happening for a good price. Personally, I didn't want another Toyota after the way the last one crumpled in the crash but these newer models are more sporty and so nice with the full retractable roofs and all these high tech features. Plus it's what my husband wanted so I went with it. Gets great gas mileage and don't have to worry about maintenance for awhile.

Ahh...good, "safe" cars, Toyota's. Of all the Toyota's I want one that Toyota imports from Europe. The Toyota Yaris SE hatchback. Here's a 2015 Toyota Yaris SE hatchback 5-speed stick. This one's $11,999 and has 27,752 miles on it. Decent numbers ta this padre.

This craziness will never end. When we got the '11 Kia Soul 5-speed Mrs. elkotronics turned to me in the car and said "Now you're good, right? Ya don't have ta search any more!"

I smiled and said "Yeah."
Awe. My former co-worker had a red Yaris. Cute car and he's a big fellow.

I always thought Toyota was safe until I was in an accident in one. It wasn't even that fast of a crash and it crumpled the bumper. The airbags didn't even deploy and I hit my head on the side window giving me a nice lump on my forehead.

We thought it might be salvageable but the adjuster came and opened the hood, looked around, and pointed to one tiny chip paint on the inside and said that's 'scratch'. Meaning unsalvagable. I guess cuz they make them in a fiber unibody now that if you damage one part it damages all of it and you can't just fix the bumper. Oh well, we got a nice even newer car out of it. I like the honeycomb grille on it.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:05 PM

You guys benefited from his decision on the scratch, then. Enough ta score a new rig?

Old 04-11-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You guys benefited from his decision on the scratch, then. Enough ta score a new rig?
Yup! We didn't think it would be that way but our first deal saved us 4K and we ended up getting 4K back after the deductible so it all worked out. I felt so bad about wrecking the new car. It was our first brand new car together. Before that it was always new used cars until we worked our way up to brand new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas