Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 07:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
not even close.....
FWIW my husband agrees with you.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:40 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
on the Sony Bravia's you have to be very careful.. there are 3 levels of quality.. the bottom is the one that you find at Walmart.
BB carries all 3 levels.

The 46" for under a grand is the lowest level.

The mid level comes with an internet connection to watch movies..

Old 11-21-2009, 08:17 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
It is true that there are only a handful of LCD panel manufacturers, and Sony is not one of them. Sony uses either Sharp or Samsung panels in their TVs, though they do have a joint venture with Samsung in an LCD panel factory where they (Sony) are the minority partner.

There's a lot more to a TV than the panel though. Picture processing has much to do with picture quality, and here most of the mfgrs have their own proprietary technology. Based on my experience with a half-dozen mid to high-end LCD TVs, I find I prefer Samsung's Auto Motion Plus to Sony's Motionflow, though I'd be content with a Sony Z series or XBR for anything other than the main TV in the house.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:39 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
on the Sony Bravia's you have to be very careful.. there are 3 levels of quality.. the bottom is the one that you find at Walmart.
BB carries all 3 levels.

The 46" for under a grand is the lowest level.

The mid level comes with an internet connection to watch movies..
I'm aware of at least five series of models: S, V, W, Z, and XBR, and I think there might even be one more. Walmart carries the S series (the worst). Based on my own viewing, and that of people whom I trust, I would not buy anything less than a Z series.

Sony does make a KDL-46VL160 for Canada and the membership stores (Costco and Sams Club). This is actually not a V series, but comparable to a Z4100 model, so when Costco put it on sale for $1099 (with coupon) recently it was a steal. I think it may still be on sale at costco.com (nope, just checked).

The network connection on all these TVs is pretty useless, because of limited codec and media container support, as well as limited or no aspect ratio control. Better to pay a couple hundred bucks for one of these and stream your content from it.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:13 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'm aware of at least five series of models: S, V, W, Z, and XBR, and I think there might even be one more. Walmart carries the S series (the worst). Based on my own viewing, and that of people whom I trust, I would not buy anything less than a Z series.

Sony does make a KDL-46VL160 for Canada and the membership stores (Costco and Sams Club). This is actually not a V series, but comparable to a Z4100 model, so when Costco put it on sale for $1099 (with coupon) recently it was a steal. I think it may still be on sale at costco.com (nope, just checked).

The network connection on all these TVs is pretty useless, because of limited codec and media container support, as well as limited or no aspect ratio control. Better to pay a couple hundred bucks for one of these and stream your content from it.
forgot about the w and xbr... and you are correct the costco/samsclub tv was a steal.. i have 2 of the 46" models in cleveland, i bought them a year ago for 1299. but they both came with 80 downloadable movies each with the internet connector (free)

Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,725,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I suspect that most of these brands are assembled at the same overseas factories and are almost identical.
Your not far from the truth. There is a plant in China turning out these low end LCD's under the Sony, Samsung, Philips, Sanyo, Westinghouse, Insignia, ect, ect. Like what was already posted, it takes more than indentical pannels to create an unit. The scaling and deinterlacing chips used plays a big part of it. Cheap power supplies will also hinder a LCD performance. Personally Im not a big fan of LCD since my majority of veiwing is movies via DVD and HDDVD / Blu-ray. I perfer the later plasma panels put out by Panasonic and Pioneer. Getting an accurate ISF calibration is important to me and the current LCD pannels are not up to par at the moment to that challenge.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:51 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,668,487 times
I got my first paycheck from Hilton Grand Vacations today. It was only for 23.5 hours, but it was better than nothing. Hopefully with this job, and the help of my roomie, I'll be able be able to make rent. One thing's for certain, my computers will always be in good repair.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:15 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,725,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I got my first paycheck from Hilton Grand Vacations today. It was only for 23.5 hours, but it was better than nothing. Hopefully with this job, and the help of my roomie, I'll be able be able to make rent. One thing's for certain, my computers will always be in good repair.

Are you having any luck with the commisions. I hope you can make a decent buck and get your finances back on track.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:48 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,668,487 times
I only got on the phone on Monday. No sales yet, but I'm getting talk time comission. Unless my roomie can swing something, we're going to be late on our rent.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Aqua, do they give you a list to call? Are these people who expressed interest or cold calls? I could never do sales. Hope all goes well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas