Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:47 PM

63 posts, read 86,759 times

Advertisements

Vegas is just not what it use to be. So many half built high rises and buildings like City Center just sitting there weathering away with no construction on, yes, weekdays. I remeber having to wait an hour at the check in line at the hotel before and now hardly 15 minutes if even that.

The crowd in the hotels and restaurants are thin. The gentlemens clubs are bout 2/3 empty by midnight and its just depressing. I remember waiting 90 minutes at 2am to eat dinner at a restaurant. Now I walk in and maybe 8-9 people there at 12ish and half the resraurants lights off.

So depressing to go to Vegas and the energy and excitement that was alwys there is now gone.

And honestly, who knows whether it will ever come back seems like its hayday is dying if not already dead. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisissam View Post
Vegas is just not what it use to be. So many half built high rises and buildings like City Center just sitting there weathering away with no construction on, yes, weekdays. I remeber having to wait an hour at the check in line at the hotel before and now hardly 15 minutes if even that.

The crowd in the hotels and restaurants are thin. The gentlemens clubs are bout 2/3 empty by midnight and its just depressing. I remember waiting 90 minutes at 2am to eat dinner at a restaurant. Now I walk in and maybe 8-9 people there at 12ish and half the resraurants lights off.

So depressing to go to Vegas and the energy and excitement that was alwys there is now gone.

And honestly, who knows whether it will ever come back seems like its hayday is dying if not already dead. *sigh*
finally, someone speaking the truth...

I agree!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 AM

Every aspect has been hit. Theres a significant increase of women dancing in the gentlemens clubs hustlin very hard. Even my friends son whos at UNLV says the campus is getting emptier and emptier bc enrollment has decreased and drop outs have increased.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:34 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
Quote:
Even my friends son whos at UNLV says the campus is getting emptier and emptier bc enrollment has decreased and drop outs have increased.
very true and they are getting rid of professors and cutting class sections, so its getting harder to even graduate on-time...

Old 03-15-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
very true and they are getting rid of professors and cutting class sections, so its getting harder to even graduate on-time...
Long, sad *sigh*

This whole thing is depressing. The truth is that the chances of a comeback are slim with MGM trying to sell its property as of 11 hours ago and course all the other financial problems in Vegas.

I couldnt believe my eyes. Seeing city center and the empty dark half built high rises was really it for me.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:49 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
It'll come back, and those half-finished projects will be finished.

Recreation gets hit hard when the economy goes in the dumper. Wait 'till it turns around, and you'll smack your forehead over comments such as "...who knows whether it will ever come back seems like its hayday is dying if not already dead."

Old 03-15-2009, 01:04 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Let's don't schedule the funeral until the patient stops breathing. Yes it's been slow. But yes it's the same everywhere, except for, believe it or not, West Virginia, where the economy has been bad since Jack Kennedy convinced us we were depressed and had been relocated to a mythical place he made up called Apple-at-cha or something. But we ain't dead yet, and West Virginia has one of the best economies in the country. Probably due to Robert Byrd finally getting them the things many of them died for in several wars. But I digress... And, since I've been in Vegas way longer than almost everyone on this forum I have to keep reminding people that it was just as bad, if not worse, in the early 80's and we weathered that just fine even though it hurt...a lot. So if the country is able to weather this crisis, then Las Vegas, being a microcosm of the country, will also weather this one. But if the country fails, then we probably will too...but I wouldn't bet on it.

Does this look like the country is failing or just getting mugged by New York crooks? New York official seeks to recover AIG bonuses - International Herald Tribune

Old 03-15-2009, 01:13 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
By the way, last time I heard City Center was coming along nicely and still plans to open some of it this year. It does take time to build something that big you know, and I don't believe construction has stopped. They have had to re-engineer one building so it won't be as tall as they wanted. And somebody didn't like the way the interior of one building looked so they are redoing it inside. At least that's what's in the news here everyday. Maybe you were here on an off day. I saw a lot of people out shopping today. Not everyone is laid off. 90% are still working although the negative naysayers have them convinced we're all gonna die so they'd better hold onto their money...for the funeral I guess. I don't think you're depressed. I think you get off on depressing others.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 AM

well, all i can say is that if everything i said about the short lines, the lack of students in school, the half built buildings, mgm trying to sell its properties, etc etc is true then we can all agree that it's not the same as it was before.

now that we can agree that it is not same as it was before and accept that as truth all we can do is predict what will happen in the future.

of course some will say everything will go back to the way it was and of course some will say that it won't.

we'll just have to see, but with the things already down than before (which we agreed)...things are working against the people who think it will comeback b/c it's a much longer ways back up than it is down at this point (i.e. mgm stock falling 97% which is a reflection of everything else and how far it has to climb back up and how little it has to go down)

Old 03-15-2009, 01:25 AM

30 posts, read 72,757 times
Quote:
The truth is that the chances of a comeback are slim with MGM trying to sell its property as of 11 hours ago and course all the other financial problems in Vegas.
"The business cycle has not been repealed." - Alan Greenspan

No recession has ever been permanent, we will rebound. I think the current problems at MGM and Harrah's are good for Las Vegas in the long run. Those two companies own most of the Strip hotels and they do a mediocre job. The Rio hasn't been the same since Harrah's took over, and the Bellagio, while still pretty nice, has lost a step with MGM at the helm. It looks a bit faded. New ownership could be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas