Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,718 times

Advertisements

I don't "chit chat" while I'm driving. If I do talk on the phone while I'm in my car, it's for something important. Don't assume that I'm stupid, just because you don't agree with me.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 PM

307 posts, read 1,222,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I don't "chit chat" while I'm driving. If I do talk on the phone while I'm in my car, it's for something important. Don't assume that I'm stupid, just because you don't agree with me.
Whether it is "chit-chat" or something important DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE! mod cut: personal attack removed Pay attention to the road, NOT THE STUPID CELLPHONE!!!!!

Which one is more important - drive or phone? there is only one option.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-19-2009 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: name calling not allowed.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Remember the good old days when one had to pullover, get out of the car, and dial from a payphone? That worked pretty good...and the driver could concentrate on driving. KD makes a great point (although calling aqualung an idiot is just wrong!)...why do people put such priority on answering their cell phones???? Mine is always on vibrate, and many times I can feel it massaging my inner thigh while I am doing something more important. When I get a free minute...that is convenient TO ME...I look to pick up the message. If none was left, I figure it wasn't too important to the caller.

I also refuse to text (and receive texts) and have disconnected it from my calling plan. The Unibomber (Ted Kaczynski) was right...technology will be the death of society. Mind you, I don't agree with his chosen method of delivering that message...but the message itself (yes, I have read the manifesto) has some merit, IMO.

Last edited by jfkIII; 04-17-2009 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 PM

mod cut: orphaned There are emergencies where one must use their cell phone, and it happened the other night. It was very windy that day, and as I was driving south on 95 (between the 215 and Ann Rd) when I saw a car swerve suddenly to avoid a camper shell in the left lane that must have blown off some pickup truck. I called NHP non emergency dispatch, so the obstruction could be cleared, and any accidents prevented.

JFK: My ex brother in law had text messages removed from his cell phone as well. I too remember pay phones, even when calls cost a dime. There are times where there aren't any pay phones available, let alone a road side emergency phone. Back when I helped my sister and her first husband move to Vegas from California, his car broke down on a stretch of highway devoid of any emergency services. If it hadn't been for my cell phone, we would have walked for hours. Also, text messages take up less bandwidth than a voice call. There were times during Hurricane Katrina when the only communications still working were text messages.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-19-2009 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: response orphaned ...comment you are responding to is no longer standing

Old 04-17-2009, 06:44 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Not judging you aqualung...in my opinion, you did the right thing. 911 is also the only call I'll make while driving. To me, everything else can wait. But I do agree...you guys have some pretty empty stretches of road once you leave LV area. Maybe that's ok...as you may not see another car for miles. Just curious...how is service once you're on one of those stretches?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Although it could have evolved into an emergency, and almost did, the situation at that time didn't warrant a call to 911. I took a class in Basic Public Safety Dispatching before I moved to Vegas almost four years ago, and have my certificate. Why am I not a dispatcher for either Metro, NLVPD, or the NHP? I've got carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, and tendinitis in my left hand. Even holding in a cell phone in my left hand HURTS even after a few minutes, so typing at 40+ wpm over 8+ hours would kill me. Why did I take the class? To appease my mother, plus it was good training in remaining calm in emergency situations, multi-tasking, and I met some good people.

Cell phone service can be spotty in some areas, but you will lose all signal when you pass by Mercury, since that's a government facility, and they squash all cell phone signals when you drive past it.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I'm an idiot? Sorry, but I refuse to stoop to the level of a no0b. There are emergencies where one must use their cell phone, and it happened the other night. It was very windy that day, and as I was driving south on 95 (between the 215 and Ann Rd) when I saw a car swerve suddenly to avoid a camper shell in the left lane that must have blown off some pickup truck. I called NHP non emergency dispatch, so the obstruction could be cleared, and any accidents prevented.

JFK: My ex brother in law had text messages removed from his cell phone as well. I too remember pay phones, even when calls cost a dime. There are times where there aren't any pay phones available, let alone a road side emergency phone. Back when I helped my sister and her first husband move to Vegas from California, his car broke down on a stretch of highway devoid of any emergency services. If it hadn't been for my cell phone, we would have walked for hours. Also, text messages take up less bandwidth than a voice call. There were times during Hurricane Katrina when the only communications still working were text messages.

Do not use your cellphone WHILE driving...Whether traffic is light or heavy. PERIOD. It is really simple!! USE YOUR HEAD. If you're hungry to use cellphone PULL OVER OR PARK SOMEHWERE AND USE YOUR CELLPHONE. Once again USE YOUR HEAD!!!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
OK....next time I go to Hawaii I wont use my cellphone........

Old 04-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
OK....next time I go to Hawaii I wont use my cellphone........
good idea LOL!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 02:32 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
me too, no cell in hawaii --- so you are saying kd that you do not use a cell while driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas