Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Olecapt, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking of me? Do you want to know where I bought a house? Port Orange, Fla. Just south of Daytona Beach.

I have nothing to "duck"... I'm still not sure if this is what you were asking. Are you wanting to pick apart the city or communit? Pick away. I have no problem with that. But you will be picking based on what you read because you've probably never been here. On the flip side, I lived in Vegas almost 10 years, so when I speak of it I have the experience and have been there. Big difference.

As I said in my original post - it's not "perfect" here, but I think it offers a good place for my kids to grow up. I can't even say that I will stay here the next 18 years while they do. It's a place to start, you never know what the future holds.
Ohh hey I know Daytona Beach...even with new suburbs with lily white populations from elsewhere. Grew up going their in the winter. First place i ever saw a wet tee shirt contest and you ladies showing us theirs...

You know how to pick em...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 07:20 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
You must not be familiar with Port Orange, obvsiously. Do some research, it's a family town. And you are also out of touch with Daytona Beach. What you describe was how it used to be, but they've had a PR campaign for years to turn spring break into "family spring break." It was just last week and I'll tell you what, when I drove down the beach I saw more people with little kids in tow than anything else. From your response I'm guessing it's been a very long time since you have been here.

And I love the white suburbs, it's one of the things that drew me to the place. That and the awesome ocean!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude66 View Post
I can pretty much guarantee you that Denver is a great place to raise kids. I grew up there and still haven't found a city that can match it. There's obviously bad parts of the city (like any other), but if you're in a decent neighborhood in Denver, you'd do just fine.
I would agree with you. Although I've never lived in Denver I have visited and read a lot about it. From what I recall it's one of the most educated cities in the country. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
You must not be familiar with Port Orange, obvsiously. Do some research, it's a family town. And you are also out of touch with Daytona Beach. What you describe was how it used to be, but they've had a PR campaign for years to turn spring break into "family spring break." It was just last week and I'll tell you what, when I drove down the beach I saw more people with little kids in tow than anything else. From your response I'm guessing it's been a very long time since you have been here.

And I love the white suburbs, it's one of the things that drew me to the place. That and the awesome ocean!
Actuallly when you drove down the beach in Daytona in late January you were chased from the beach by the pigeons and the jellyfish. Ain't it a shame. You get rid of the blacks and the hispanics and the pigeons and jellyfish come after you..

Now tell us how the pigeons and jellyfish used to get to you when you lived in Las Vegas.

Sure it is changed. You moved out there where the cow paddies used to be almost continuous and no rational local would live. So they set it up and all you foreigners came and bought. Those ole Florida boys are right...one a minute if you pick on the yankees.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:44 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
We'll be bringing a teenager with us when we move as well. I think what is missing here is simple, if you live in a city, you're going to have what a city brings. Sure, you can live in the rural areas with very few jobs, low wages, and a country setting...but if you're in the city, these things you have to deal with. I have lived in Jacksonville, FL and wouldn't dare move to the North side, it just isn't safe.
If you can afford private school I would always assume that is the best way to go. Public schools are always going to have problems. Parents just need to be involved in all areas, steer the kids away from trouble, and keep talking to them.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:50 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times
Quote:
I would agree with you. Although I've never lived in Denver I have visited and read a lot about it. From what I recall it's one of the most educated cities in the country. I've heard a lot of good things about it.
I have heard that Denver has a large Hispanic population, wouldn't that steer you away?
Don't you get bored looking at all the same white people every day? You are doing your children a disservice by showing them that everybody lives in a white community with no problems. What happens if they grow up and get in a financial bind and see that not everything is what your white community is? Your children are bound to be intolerant of many others, and I feel sorry for them. Is your white community only white because it is filled with rednecks and ex-KKK members?

Old 04-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actuallly when you drove down the beach in Daytona in late January you were chased from the beach by the pigeons and the jellyfish. Ain't it a shame. You get rid of the blacks and the hispanics and the pigeons and jellyfish come after you..

Now tell us how the pigeons and jellyfish used to get to you when you lived in Las Vegas.

Sure it is changed. You moved out there where the cow paddies used to be almost continuous and no rational local would live. So they set it up and all you foreigners came and bought. Those ole Florida boys are right...one a minute if you pick on the yankees.
Considering I drive down the beach the jellyfish weren't chasing us. But they were there. When it comes to demographics this place wins hands down, as you said.

I could care less if cows once grazed the area. At one time there was something where every home is. How crazy it would be to think we should abandon that land if animals were once on it. That would be a lot of unused land. At one time people thought it absurd for those to be buying homes or even considering moving to a desert or anywhere in Las Vegas.

It's funny that you are actually arguing against a place that you really don't know. Like I said, when I post about Las Vegas I have almost 10 years of experience living there.

I'm done debating Florida with you in the Las Vegas forum. If you want to debate Florida then go to the Florida forum. Discussing it here is way off topic and it just doesn't fit.

Furthermore, you are once again harassing me. If you don't like my posts please put me on ignore as I have done you many times in the past. Or simply don't read or respond to my posts. But trying to instigate and challenge me is pathetic and childish.

Back on topic...

Old 04-07-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
I have heard that Denver has a large Hispanic population, wouldn't that steer you away?
Don't you get bored looking at all the same white people every day? You are doing your children a disservice by showing them that everybody lives in a white community with no problems. What happens if they grow up and get in a financial bind and see that not everything is what your white community is? Your children are bound to be intolerant of many others, and I feel sorry for them. Is your white community only white because it is filled with rednecks and ex-KKK members?
What is your obsession with race? Strange that you think like that...

Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Superior Educaton in Florida?

When I cared about such things Florida was one of those places one did not consider. The educatonal climate was better than Alabama but that was about it. So I find it somewhat surprising that our education lover RWF went to Florida. Well perhaps things have changed. Here an assessment of Florida education.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/06/St..._rank_ne.shtml

Well some improvements have been made...have they?

http://www.bc.edu/research/nbetpp/statements/nbr6.pdf

One interesting finding in all this is that RWF is working the lower end of the market. Has trouble affording the better areas and then does not want to deal with finding the less expensive areas that provide good schooling.

Those listening to her in the Vegas context should be warned by all this. She does not practice what she preaches .

Old 04-07-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
When I cared about such things Florida was one of those places one did not consider. The educatonal climate was better than Alabama but that was about it. So I find it somewhat surprising that our education lover RWF went to Florida. Well perhaps things have changed. Here an assessment of Florida education.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/06/St..._rank_ne.shtml

Well some improvements have been made...have they?

http://www.bc.edu/research/nbetpp/statements/nbr6.pdf

One interesting finding in all this is that RWF is working the lower end of the market. Has trouble affording the better areas and then does not want to deal with finding the less expensive areas that provide good schooling.

Those listening to her in the Vegas context should be warned by all this. She does not practice what she preaches .

Olecapt you have no clue what you are talking about. I guess you are referring to the education as a state issue? I moved to a city that has "A" rated excellent schools. I told you I moved to Port Orange, go to greatschools.net and look up the schools for the city. They are great. It sounds like you are judging the school district in Port Orange by what the entire state does? That doesn't make much sense considering the size and population. Move on, buddy. You are wasting your time and making yourself look like a fool.

Olecapt.... again I point out that you are harassing me. Stop harassing me. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: