Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
3% TO 8% is about 250% more as a rental compared to owner occupied, isn't it?
Not saying I can't be wrong. :-)
that is not the amount of tax.. that is the amount that it can go up.. it is the cap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
I was told by my agent that residents are taxed 3% of what ever they measure to tax and was told that they charge 8% of the same number for people investing and renting.

I think that means those not living there and making money with the property pay 250% more than owners living on the property.

I think it is just their way of collecting a form of income tax from those renting their homes out in Nevada.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:09 PM

get a new agent!! everybody pays approximately 3% of the assessed value, whether you live in it or rent it out.. the tax cap (meaning it can go upto) is 3% for owner occupied and 8% for investment props (rentals) so if your tax was under the cap and it was $1000 and your property appreciated, it can go up 3% ($30) if you live in it or 8% ($80) if you rent it out.. It does not mean if your house is assessed at $100k, you pay $5000 more in tax if it is a rental.. Capeesh?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
get a new agent!! everybody pays approximately 3% of the assessed value, whether you live in it or rent it out.. the tax cap (meaning it can go upto) is 3% for owner occupied and 8% for investment props (rentals) so if your tax was under the cap and it was $1000 and your property appreciated, it can go up 3% ($30) if you live in it or 8% ($80) if you rent it out.. It does not mean if your house is assessed at $100k, you pay $5000 more in tax if it is a rental.. Capeesh?
Yup. Arics has it right. It deals only whith maximal rate of tax increase. It does not deal with the maximum tax. And given the existing ecomonic climate in another year or two everybody pays the full tax.

Well maybe not but almost. Some of us old timers may not pay up full for another five years down.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
I think the agent explained it alright.
You take assessed value times 3% for owner occupied and 8% for investors.
You can have a $125k home with an assessed value of 30k.
3% of 30K would be about $900 bucks a year for the owner occupied and maybe up to $2400 for the investor renting it.
That's kind of how I got the impression the 3 & 8% work.
In the end, the 3% assessment gets close to what we pay for similar homes in California.

We deal in CA with about 1.25% of purchase price a year plus an increase of 2% a year on the previous year's tax.
So I paid off my CA home a decade ago and my basis is 100k. I have about $1200 a year as a tax bill. The house is actually worth on the current market about $550k and a new owner would be paying the outrageous property tax of about $7500 a year.

Owner occupied seems to match California's property tax collections though they go about it with different formulas.
The 8% of assessed value for investors who rent is where I was maybe confused.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 AM

i give up! then go to the treasurer's site and figure it out! are you really that stubborn? then don't ask questions..

Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I think the agent explained it alright.
You take assessed value times 3% for owner occupied and 8% for investors.
You can have a $125k home with an assessed value of 30k.
3% of 30K would be about $900 bucks a year for the owner occupied and maybe up to $2400 for the investor renting it.
That's kind of how I got the impression the 3 & 8% work.
In the end, the 3% assessment gets close to what we pay for similar homes in California.

We deal in CA with about 1.25% of purchase price a year plus an increase of 2% a year on the previous year's tax.
So I paid off my CA home a decade ago and my basis is 100k. I have about $1200 a year as a tax bill. The house is actually worth on the current market about $550k and a new owner would be paying the outrageous property tax of about $7500 a year.

Owner occupied seems to match California's property tax collections though they go about it with different formulas.
The 8% of assessed value for investors who rent is where I was maybe confused.
No...All homes are assessed the same. And if you buy a new house you will pay the same tax whether owner occupied or not. The tax on a home is roughly 1% of its real value.

If you are an owner occupant however the tax rate increase from one year to the next is limiited to 3%. If not owner occupied it can increase 8%. But either case requires that real value has increased by a suitable amount. That is not happening at the moment.

The maximum tax on a home anywhere in the value is less than 1.25% of the real value. Most places it is less than 1%

Note that NV does not reset like CA There are no large jumps in taxes when property change hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas