Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:25 AM

550 posts, read 637,654 times

Advertisements

I have lived here in an established neighborhood since the summer of 2001. I'm in South Valley Ranch which is off Gibson/Broadbent. We have had 2 snakes and a really big toad or frog in our yard. I have no idea what kind of snakes they were. One of them escaped into our low bushes, and the other 2 as in my garage, stuck to the glue traps we keep in there to keep dead cockroach clean up (after pest control scares them out of hiding), faster and cleaner. My theory is they were released by some dopey owner down the big drain at the end of the cul du sac, where my house is. Never saw one again.

So, it's unlikely you will encounter one, unless you go hiking in desert areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basnobua View Post
I see the western ground snake constantly, but I am desert adjacent.

Poisonous snakes are a rarity. Even on the outskirts of town, I've only seen one in the past decade.
Red and black, friend of Jack. Red and yellow, kill a fellow. If you are adjacent to the desert, you're pretty far out, so it's very likely all the snakes haven't been killed off by bulldozers yet. Consider yourself lucky to have those red and black rodent hunters around.

Last edited by Buzz123; 05-14-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
I have lived here in an established neighborhood since the summer of 2001. I'm in South Valley Ranch which is off Gibson/Broadbent. We have had 2 snakes and a really big toad or frog in our yard. I have no idea what kind of snakes they were. One of them escaped into our low bushes, and the other 2 as in my garage, stuck to the glue traps we keep in there to keep dead cockroach clean up (after pest control scares them out of hiding), faster and cleaner. My theory is they were released by some dopey owner down the big drain at the end of the cul du sac, where my house is. Never saw one again.

So, it's unlikely you will encounter one, unless you go hiking in desert areas.
That's right. But, you are in a very likely area for lots of wildlife. You aren't that far from the wetlands park, and I'd guarantee there would be snakes in that park, and anyplace along the wash. Although even when it was far enough away from everything in town to hunt there, I never saw one. Nor when out four wheeling and target practicing out in that area before there were homes. But not seeing them is what they want - not to be found by large animals, like people. They know what is edible and what isn't, so they aren't going to waste venom on anything that isn't a meal if they can help it. Snakes in this country aren't aggressive. They're not going to chase you down to bite you.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:33 PM

Saw two Cal Kings (the snakes, not the beds) up at above Cold Creek, at Deer Creek campground, standing straight up, and all twining around each other. Couldn't tell if they were mating or fighting, but it was very sexy.

Almost stepped on a rattlesnake at El Dorado Canyon once, and have seen two rattlesnakes up on the road going over the pass (now closed) at Red Rock. And saw a sidewinder track at the Lake, plus a non-poisonous (I think) one ran between my legs at the Lake once. And, heard one in the rocks on Mt. Springs Pass when out four wheeling. We had gotten out to look around, heard him rattle his warning from somewhere in the rocks, and we sort of floated off the ground back to the Jeep. In fact I was with the same guy that I was with a El Dorado Cyn, so it must be him - he attracts them just to scare me.

I was sort of surprised to see several snakes on the road coming down the hill from Mt. Chas. Lodge once. It was just a strange phenom right about sundown. I believe that's all the snakes I've seen around these parts in 51 years, and not one was in town.

In Laredo, TX, they were all over the highways, and the parking lot where we lived. I would never walk along the road at night there.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,215 times
After 4000f elevation, snakes do not like Charleston.

That is indeed odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Saw two Cal Kings (the snakes, not the beds) up at above Cold Creek, at Deer Creek campground, standing straight up, and all twining around each other. Couldn't tell if they were mating or fighting, but it was very sexy.

Almost stepped on a rattlesnake at El Dorado Canyon once, and have seen two rattlesnakes up on the road going over the pass (now closed) at Red Rock. And saw a sidewinder track at the Lake, plus a non-poisonous (I think) one ran between my legs at the Lake once. And, heard one in the rocks on Mt. Springs Pass when out four wheeling. We had gotten out to look around, heard him rattle his warning from somewhere in the rocks, and we sort of floated off the ground back to the Jeep. In fact I was with the same guy that I was with a El Dorado Cyn, so it must be him - he attracts them just to scare me.

I was sort of surprised to see several snakes on the road coming down the hill from Mt. Chas. Lodge once. It was just a strange phenom right about sundown. I believe that's all the snakes I've seen around these parts in 51 years, and not one was in town.

In Laredo, TX, they were all over the highways, and the parking lot where we lived. I would never walk along the road at night there.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
After 4000f elevation, snakes do not like Charleston.

That is indeed odd.
I don't know if that is true - maybe 8 or 9,000 ft. I saw one rattlesnake at the very top of Wheeler Pass.

Maybe you know some old snakes. :-) I can barely handle 7,000 ft. in Santa Fe for more than a couple of hours these days.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:47 PM

550 posts, read 637,654 times
Quote:
That's right. But, you are in a very likely area for lots of wildlife. You aren't that far from the wetlands park, and I'd guarantee there would be snakes in that park, and anyplace along the wash. Although even when it was far enough away from everything in town to hunt there, I never saw one
Lots of wildlife back on Weisner Way, the road that runs adjacent to the wash. We see lots of red foxes. My daughter, who was 7 at the time, got the scare of her life when she and one of them (they are the size of a large fat cat, and really pretty!) met eye to eye. The 7 year old was on the elevated platform of her swing set and the fox was on the block wall. Their eyes locked and I could see, from the living room window, both of them freeze. By the time I had bolted out the back door, it was gone, and she was sill staring and in a frozen position. Poor kid, but it's still one of her favorite party stories to tell people who come to our home!

Old 05-15-2015, 03:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
Lots of wildlife back on Weisner Way, the road that runs adjacent to the wash. We see lots of red foxes. My daughter, who was 7 at the time, got the scare of her life when she and one of them (they are the size of a large fat cat, and really pretty!) met eye to eye. The 7 year old was on the elevated platform of her swing set and the fox was on the block wall. Their eyes locked and I could see, from the living room window, both of them freeze. By the time I had bolted out the back door, it was gone, and she was sill staring and in a frozen position. Poor kid, but it's still one of her favorite party stories to tell people who come to our home!
Been there done that...went to the refrigerator in the garage in our home. Opened the door and suddenly realized by its light i was about a foot from a critter with beady eyes staring back at me.

Big possum. Right after that we changed the garage cat door to require a gizmo on the collar to get in.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Been there done that...went to the refrigerator in the garage in our home. Opened the door and suddenly realized by its light i was about a foot from a critter with beady eyes staring back at me.

Big possum. Right after that we changed the garage cat door to require a gizmo on the collar to get in.
Whar wuz at at, LVOC? Back east?

My friends at Red Rock CC have the collar gizmos to get in the doggy door too. They have all kinds of critters out there on the golf course with the mountains behind them.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Whar wuz at at, LVOC? Back east?

My friends at Red Rock CC have the collar gizmos to get in the doggy door too. They have all kinds of critters out there on the golf course with the mountains behind them.
Los Alamitos CA The coastal plain. She lived behind our little landscaping shed we later found. Get out late at night along the back wall, shared with the local high school, and you could catch them commuting along it.

At our prior home in Rochester, NY the toddler comes rushing in to report greyhounds in the garage. Young deer poking around.

Sitting one Sunday afternoon in the backyard when big commotion in the adjoining weed field. Barn swallows in perfect formation peeling off a V to attack something hustling through the weeds.

Comes the family cat...90 mph. Under the house with a barn swallow whacking her every 10 feet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas