Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
See if the company you work for has a location in LV. That what we are doing since we work for a major national company. That way you have guaranteed employment and don't have to worry about that aspect.

Also about Phoenix...Phoenix is in the Sonoran desert and receives substantially more precipitation than LV does since it is in the mojave desert. 8in of rain vs. 4in. Which by desert standards is significant. Phoenix also gets more of monsoon moisture in the summer making it more humid ...which some people may like, but I do not.
The summers in Phoenix are brutal. My car has no air conditioning, and I have been able to make it through the summers here. I would NOT be able to do that in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 05:00 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Las Vegas is probably the driest big city in the USA. I don't think I remember being in a place where you cant even believe the weatherman saying "its going to rain". You almost need a witch doctor and do smoke signals or a rain dance for it to rain. Yeah, PHX summers are very hot, and it can also get humid because of the monsoons. Las Vegas summers can be tolerated without A/C in the car, but I wouldn't recommend it!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Las Vegas is probably the driest big city in the USA. I don't think I remember being in a place where you cant even believe the weatherman saying "its going to rain". You almost need a witch doctor and do smoke signals or a rain dance for it to rain. Yeah, PHX summers are very hot, and it can also get humid because of the monsoons. Las Vegas summers can be tolerated without A/C in the car, but I wouldn't recommend it!
I get away with it because I mostly work nights, when it is not as hot. I only have to spend 30 minutes total a week in the heat, and that is on the weekends when traffic is lite.If I had to do a 9 to 5 job that was far away, I would have to have ac in my car.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:38 PM

21 posts, read 45,570 times
I agree with whoever mentioned the Dakotas. My parents live in ND. Cold but tons of jobs. Good community and great schools.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindbergh View Post
I agree with whoever mentioned the Dakotas. My parents live in ND. Cold but tons of jobs. Good community and great schools.
Yup...and it will really make you thirst for Vegas...

Old 10-17-2009, 09:58 PM

21 posts, read 45,570 times
eh....I thirst to visit there a few times a year, yes totally. Still unsure about FT living. Looking at a position there - the job itself would no doubt be a resume builder and a big draw for me - I am just not nuts about the prospect of moving there and remain unconvinced on LV relocation.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Zod

32 posts, read 72,214 times
What do your kids think about the cold? I remember loving the snow, or lying in front of the fireplace or in a patch of winter sunlight spilling in through the windows. Las Vegas summers more than cancel out the benefits of our mild winters. You can't leave the house and kids can't play outside (gotta have a pool). Las Vegas has the highest rate of missing children in the nation and per capita sex offenders. Our school scores are competing with Mississippi for dead last in the nation. Jobless rate is expected to hit 15%. The employed don't earn enough to pay the bills. 1 in 12 homes here are in foreclosure. Not a good place for kids, or anyone (unless you're on the lam from the law in another state and want to blend in with other fugitive criminals).

Portland sounding better yet?

Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
What do your kids think about the cold? I remember loving the snow, or lying in front of the fireplace or in a patch of winter sunlight spilling in through the windows. Las Vegas summers more than cancel out the benefits of our mild winters. You can't leave the house and kids can't play outside (gotta have a pool). Las Vegas has the highest rate of missing children in the nation and per capita sex offenders. Our school scores are competing with Mississippi for dead last in the nation. Jobless rate is expected to hit 15%. The employed don't earn enough to pay the bills. 1 in 12 homes here are in foreclosure. Not a good place for kids, or anyone (unless you're on the lam from the law in another state and want to blend in with other fugitive criminals).

Some people just cant deal with the cold. I know I cant and thats why I wouldn't live in a cold climate. Portland is cold and wet in the winter and employment is also not easy. They are just tired of living in Iowa but I would just suggest staying put until the economy gets better.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post

Speak for yourself, I earn enough to pay my bills, and I find your statement about our summers hilarious.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Zod

32 posts, read 72,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Speak for yourself, I earn enough to pay my bills, and I find your statement about our summers hilarious.
You shouldn't laugh at the woes of your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas