Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,894,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans View Post
We have been planning to move to the Gulf Coast of Florida, but don't intend to spend our retirement waiting for the oil slicks to disappear from the beaches.

So, we are re-assessing our plan. Looking for a viable backup. We don't want snow anymore. Or even extended cold.

We had considered Las Vegas area a few years back, but ruled it out for some reason. I can't remember.

We don't require a large house, but we want bells & whistles. Condo does not provide privacy and has economic considerations. We are looking for 400k or less. (preferably less) Pool or room for a pool is a must.

Any help out there?

Which area of Las Vegas would be good for a quiet couple that does not need to be real close to the "action"

Thanks
I have to say this seems awfully short-sighted. Oil slicks won't last forever unless you really think they will never solve the problem. This sort of strikes me like someone hearing road construction will be bad in a city for six months so they are deciding to live elsewhere because they don't want to wait for the traffic jams to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 AM

404 posts, read 1,197,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Curious about that...high humidity is bad for the aches and pains of old age? I'm not quite there yet....but I always thought it was cold weather?
Thanks for the old age reference Tiger Beer I am actually in my early 50s and like most folks my age, I have difficulty saying that is old.

In New England, we were fine in the cold. No problems as the winter cold air had very little humidity. However, our summers, or vacationing in Florida in the winter, really aggravated old ski injuries etc.

I know this may seem a little off topic, but this is one reason why this east coaster chose to live in Nevada over Florida.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I have to say this seems awfully short-sighted. Oil slicks won't last forever unless you really think they will never solve the problem. This sort of strikes me like someone hearing road construction will be bad in a city for six months so they are deciding to live elsewhere because they don't want to wait for the traffic jams to go away.
This is much more than an oil slick though. Solving the problem, means stopping the 70,000 barrels a day from leaking everyday. The fact that it is still leaking, and has been leaking at such a large rate...to me, it basically means that we're looking at an EXXON VALDEZ of monstrous proportions.

Unless they stopped it today, or tomorrow, or next week...and it doesn't seem likely. I really think this particular problem has only just begun.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,129,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitt View Post
Thanks for the old age reference Tiger Beer I am actually in my early 50s and like most folks my age, I have difficulty saying that is old.

Old is anyone that is one year older then me....always

Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans View Post
We have been planning to move to the Gulf Coast of Florida, but don't intend to spend our retirement waiting for the oil slicks to disappear from the beaches.

So, we are re-assessing our plan. Looking for a viable backup. We don't want snow anymore. Or even extended cold.

We had considered Las Vegas area a few years back, but ruled it out for some reason. I can't remember.

We don't require a large house, but we want bells & whistles. Condo does not provide privacy and has economic considerations. We are looking for 400k or less. (preferably less) Pool or room for a pool is a must.

Any help out there?

Which area of Las Vegas would be good for a quiet couple that does not need to be real close to the "action"

Thanks
Really and honestly you should check out Summerlin. It looks like a fantastic place to retire. You get up every morning and the mountains are right there outside and most, if not every community has a pool so you don't have to spend time, effort and money taking care of one. I would LOVE to retire there.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Even without the oil, Florida has too many hurricanes. Nobody wants to spend their golden years running from hurricanes all the time.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:26 PM

113 posts, read 306,399 times
And you get to watch the ladies at the supermarket play the slot machines at the exits ,while their cart of food sits,the ice cream melts,the milk gets warm,but hey they might hit the big one !!! What other place gives you that type of entertainment ????

Old 06-04-2010, 04:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac88 View Post
And you get to watch the ladies at the supermarket play the slot machines at the exits ,while their cart of food sits,the ice cream melts,the milk gets warm,but hey they might hit the big one !!! What other place gives you that type of entertainment ????
YOu are reaching. Mostly there are one to three players. Most are waiting for someone. It is rare anyone lasts more than a few minutes.

Now we do have regular gamblers. I have clients who play bingo every day and lose about $500 a week. They budget for it and can afford it. I would find that much bingo mind numbing...but it is a well established part of their social life.

I am sure there are abusers, who reallly should not live here. But they are pretty rare.

And I have never seen the ice cream melt

Old 06-04-2010, 04:56 PM

47 posts, read 118,977 times
Florida's where people go to die; Las Vegas is where people go to live.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:58 PM

113 posts, read 306,399 times
Default Its Real

I saw her playing as I walked in....she was at the same machine 25 min later as I left...there was ice cream in her cart...yes,I am assuming it was starting to melt,but I feel safe considering it is 100 degrees and the hot air blows in every time the door opens.There was also milk in the cart,I assume it was starting to get warmer....Still say I am reaching ? Please !
They are so addicted that they can't even go shopping without getting a "fix"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas