Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:37 PM

238 posts, read 729,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In practice: Hispanic and Latino refer to the same thing; folks from any Spanish dominant speaking nation which would exclude the French, Italian, Romanians and usually Portuguese.
I think you didn't understand my post, but that's ok. You just said the same thing I did. Hispanics= Spanish speaking countries. Latinos= Spanish, Italians, French, and Portuguese whether in America other any other continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 PM

74 posts, read 284,318 times
"Hispania" was the Latin name of the Roman province which today is called the "Iberia" (Iberian Peninsula) which is made up of Spain and Portugal. Spain written in Spanish is "España" which seems to have come from the latin word "Hispania".

The people from "Hispania" were called by the Romans "Hispanus". In Spanish that would be "Hispanos" which in english would be "Hispanic".

Map of the Roman Province Hispania:
http://www.dearqueologia.com/hispania_pueblos/celtiberos/hispania_mapa33.jpg (broken link)

When Columbus went to the Americas he named an island "La Española" the "little Spain". Map makers overtime changed "La Española" to its latin name which was "Hispaniola". This latin spelling became more commonly used.

Map of the island of Hispaniola. Today it is divided into those two nations.

Has for the word "Latino" becoming used in "Hispanic America" (Spanish America), read somewhere that it was a French idea. It seems the French wanted to conquer Spains colonies in the Americas. But they knew if they changed the name of there new conquests from "Hispanic America" to "French America" that there could be problems with the people of there new colonies that spoke Spanish. So they decided on using the word "Latin" has in "Latin America". Afterall the French were also "Latins" like the Spanish. Romanians and Italians would also have to be added to that list since there languages are also derived from Latin. The French never really started there plan to conquer Spanish America but the name "Latino" stuck.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:25 AM

742 posts, read 1,228,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm Asian American, born and raised in Louisiana and Maryland to LEGAL parents, and what baffles me is why legal Hispanics don't speak up against the ilelgals who are giving them a bad name? While I'm very Americanized and don't have that many Asian friends, my impression is that while there are illegals from Asia, particularly China and the Philippines, the majority of Asian Americans want to distance ourselves from those people who are acting like typical illegals, joining gangs, committing crimes, cheating the system. They are an embarassment to my race and a disgraceful presence in our country.

Why don't more Hispanics speak up in favor of stricter immigration laws (and why don't more American Muslims denounce Al-Qaeda or show their support for Israel for that matter?) Why do American Muslims always add that blurb....yeah suicide bombings are wrong but we should look at the cause. Hispanic groups (not individual Hispanics...the organization representing them)...all insist that any effort to combat illegals is racism and that the U.S. deserves blame for somehow messing up other countries and making them poor, or making excuses for why they should be able to move here illegally and not pay taxes while sending money home.

I'm pretty sure the protestors are only a small percentage of Hispanic Americans and the vast majority of Hispanics are as sick and tired of illegals coming into our country and our towns as much as any other patriotic American. Its about time ordinary Hispanics and minorities or other races speak out and show the country that we stand with America against illegal immigration, terrorism, drugs, communism, and any other threats that we face.
because most legals like the idea of more of their kind coming here, even the legals do not respect this country.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
because most legals like the idea of more of their kind coming here, even the legals do not respect this country.
"more of their kind", when we are talking about illegal aliens, meaning criminals?? sorry, but what a bunch of crap was that. maybe your legal immigrant friends think like that but talking for all them is not correct.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 18,875 times
Thumbs up Amen to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
way to go! I, among many many others so agree with you.and if they want to be here they need to also learn our languege, and do it the right way and pay for that right to work in america.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 AM

223 posts, read 829,441 times
I have been to a third world country and have a pretty good idea what poverty would be like in Mexico. My mom and dad are legal immigrants that came to America in the 1970's they came to New York City like alot of people did in the past alot of immigrants came threw Ellis Island, I aspect everybody knows the Statue of Liberty ( Statue of Liberty is property of New Jersey now, and I don't know how ) My parents told me the whole story classic immgrants coming to New York City in the 1970's most people form cities in the U.S. can't handle or imagine a city like New York but for immigrants its unreal. Life was very hard for my dad and mom they lived in Jackson Heights, Queens NY. I was born in Elmhurst, Queens NY and now live in Jersey. My dad worked 2 sometimes 3 jobs and went to school to get a education before moving out of Queens. If anybody knows New York City in the 1970's and 1980's is was very crime ridden kind of like a warzone. The subways were not safe to take at night or day people got robbed, mugged, some killed so my dad walked for blocks which turned into miles and my mom stayed in our apartment on the 6th floor all day and night due to the crime in the neighborhood ( we shared the aparment with 7 other people and it was only 2 bedrooms). My dad has never been drunk or high and he's an immgrant and did it the right way. This is nothing compared to poverty in a 3rd world country. While visiting my mom and dad's original country I seen naked kids around 4 to 7 years of age eating out of trash piles on the ground and crying begging me for money it made me a grown man want to cry. I gave them money I had to they were so young and just kids. So I understand why Mexicans come to the U.S. illegally, but why would you leave all this poverty and crime to come to a better place to sell drugs and commit more crimes, it dosen't make sense. It took my dad almost 10 years to come to America filling out Immigration papers plus he was in the Army in his native country and they didn't want him to come to America, when he got married to my mom it took another almost 2 years to bring her to America, and they both have dual citizenship in both countries now. They both are grateful to America for having a good life here but both of my parents will retire soon and go back home. They say " Thats were we are from and thats were we will die" I don't know if Mexicans feel the same about Mexico. It dose make me angry how my parents went threw all this to come to America and some Illegal from Mexico can just jump a fence or a Cuban from the Carribean can just build a raft and sail to Florida since its so close. My parents country is was to far to try anything like this. I lost a job due to illgeals all of which were spanish. At my job you could see the company push all the English and Americans out the door one by one getting rid of all of us. We could see the Spanish people getting larger and larger in numbers at the job. Since the company can pay them less an hour and not give them any medical insurance. The manager who was spanish got mad one time and said " I can't wait till I get all you Americans out of here, and turn the whole job into a Spanish Company" thats bull****!!!!!!! However during tax time alot of spanish people quit due to fear of getting caught being here illgeally by filling for taxes or the company asking them to fillout paper work for taxes. The crooked company who was making a killing hiring all illegals and pushing us Americans out didn't even require the Spanish people to fill out a W-2 form, paying them under the table, because the company knew what they were doing.

If you come to the U.S. be legal my dad and mom went threw hell to make sure they were, Learn English, don't commit crimes,stop stealing jobs, and if your illegal leave. GO HOME!!!!!

Last edited by lugger; 08-30-2009 at 04:07 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
not sure about the first; but the second statement is obviously true ... across the board - politicians (incl. GW Bush, dick Cheney, dung Rumsfeld), Wall St. crooks, lawyers (incl. judges), ...

I think many Mexicans still harbor deep resentment against the US and consider Texas, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and California "robbed" by the US.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
I am a Latina whose parents came here legally and I am against illegal immigration. I am well aware of the severe consequences of unchecked immigration as well as have major reservations as to how America will maintain being a world power with such a huge populace that does not value education. The problem is that I am vastly outnumbered. America did itself no favors by granting amnesty the first time around and not insisting on assimilation. Mexico descendants make up almost 70% of the Latino population alone, and a good portion of those people are here due to an amnesty or are the offspring of illegal immigrants. Is it any wonder they support illegal immigration? The next two biggest groups are Puerto Ricans and Cubans. Puerto Ricans are US Citizens by birth, and Cubans become legal once they touch land so immigration is not a concern for those two nationalities. Those two later groups make up perhaps 15% of the Latinos as a whole as well. Mexican descendants alone outnumber other Latino nationalities so it is they who end up steering the national discourse of what is important to "Latinos".

Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
I have been to a third world country and have a pretty good idea what poverty would be like in Mexico. My mom and dad are legal immigrants that came to America in the 1970's they came to New York City like alot of people did in the past alot of immigrants came threw Ellis Island, I aspect everybody knows the Statue of Liberty ( Statue of Liberty is property of New Jersey now, and I don't know how ) My parents told me the whole story classic immgrants coming to New York City in the 1970's most people form cities in the U.S. can't handle or imagine a city like New York but for immigrants its unreal. Life was very hard for my dad and mom they lived in Jackson Heights, Queens NY. I was born in Elmhurst, Queens NY and now live in Jersey. My dad worked 2 sometimes 3 jobs and went to school to get a education before moving out of Queens. If anybody knows New York City in the 1970's and 1980's is was very crime ridden kind of like a warzone. The subways were not safe to take at night or day people got robbed, mugged, some killed so my dad walked for blocks which turned into miles and my mom stayed in our apartment on the 6th floor all day and night due to the crime in the neighborhood ( we shared the aparment with 7 other people and it was only 2 bedrooms). My dad has never been drunk or high and he's an immgrant and did it the right way. This is nothing compared to poverty in a 3rd world country. While visiting my mom and dad's original country I seen naked kids around 4 to 7 years of age eating out of trash piles on the ground and crying begging me for money it made me a grown man want to cry. I gave them money I had to they were so young and just kids. So I understand why Mexicans come to the U.S. illegally, but why would you leave all this poverty and crime to come to a better place to sell drugs and commit more crimes, it dosen't make sense. It took my dad almost 10 years to come to America filling out Immigration papers plus he was in the Army in his native country and they didn't want him to come to America, when he got married to my mom it took another almost 2 years to bring her to America, and they both have dual citizenship in both countries now. They both are grateful to America for having a good life here but both of my parents will retire soon and go back home. They say " Thats were we are from and thats were we will die" I don't know if Mexicans feel the same about Mexico. It dose make me angry how my parents went threw all this to come to America and some Illegal from Mexico can just jump a fence or a Cuban from the Carribean can just build a raft and sail to Florida since its so close. My parents country is was to far to try anything like this. I lost a job due to illgeals all of which were spanish. At my job you could see the company push all the English and Americans out the door one by one getting rid of all of us. We could see the Spanish people getting larger and larger in numbers at the job. Since the company can pay them less an hour and not give them any medical insurance. The manager who was spanish got mad one time and said " I can't wait till I get all you Americans out of here, and turn the whole job into a Spanish Company" thats bull****!!!!!!! However during tax time alot of spanish people quit due to fear of getting caught being here illgeally by filling for taxes or the company asking them to fillout paper work for taxes. The crooked company who was making a killing hiring all illegals and pushing us Americans out didn't even require the Spanish people to fill out a W-2 form, paying them under the table, because the company knew what they were doing.

If you come to the U.S. be legal my dad and mom went threw hell to make sure they were, Learn English, don't commit crimes,stop stealing jobs, and if your illegal leave. GO HOME!!!!!
I hope you've since reported that Company to the IRS?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:15 PM

132 posts, read 249,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm Asian American, born and raised in Louisiana and Maryland to LEGAL parents, and what baffles me is why legal Hispanics don't speak up against the ilelgals who are giving them a bad name? While I'm very Americanized and don't have that many Asian friends, my impression is that while there are illegals from Asia, particularly China and the Philippines, the majority of Asian Americans want to distance ourselves from those people who are acting like typical illegals, joining gangs, committing crimes, cheating the system. They are an embarassment to my race and a disgraceful presence in our country.

Why don't more Hispanics speak up in favor of stricter immigration laws (and why don't more American Muslims denounce Al-Qaeda or show their support for Israel for that matter?) Why do American Muslims always add that blurb....yeah suicide bombings are wrong but we should look at the cause. Hispanic groups (not individual Hispanics...the organization representing them)...all insist that any effort to combat illegals is racism and that the U.S. deserves blame for somehow messing up other countries and making them poor, or making excuses for why they should be able to move here illegally and not pay taxes while sending money home.

I'm pretty sure the protestors are only a small percentage of Hispanic Americans and the vast majority of Hispanics are as sick and tired of illegals coming into our country and our towns as much as any other patriotic American. Its about time ordinary Hispanics and minorities or other races speak out and show the country that we stand with America against illegal immigration, terrorism, drugs, communism, and any other threats that we face.
They don't speak up for two reasons: the first, is because most of them came here illegally too before becoming American citizens, and the second reason is because they want to increase their numbers within this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration