Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:30 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

Giving out citizenship based on a draw is just about the dumbest way to go about it. And it is not that rare. I personally know half a dozen people (actually families) who got their green cards based on these "random" lotteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 03:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

The unemployment rate in U.S. is now just 4.6%. The employers are desperately looking for skilled foreign workers. It is time for you to update your career profile and pitch potential employers now!

They are NOT desperate. They put the US graduates through the wringer and still won't hire them. You try to get a job at Amazon or Google and see what happens. I hope Trump shuts down H1B altogether and expose this lie.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
the problem is not inherently with H1b, it's that it's being abused with impunity. Companies like Southern California Edison and Disney have become so brazen that they are not only firing domestic workers and replacing them with foreign H1bs but forcing the local talent to train their incoming foreign replacements. As egregious as it gets and a complete disregard for the law.

The unfortunate thing is the lax enforcement. A $1 million penalty for each worker fired illegally would send a good message to the industry that this exploitation of the law is not going to be tolerated. In addition an easy mechanism needs to be put in place that allows a local to challenge a H1b hire so that it can be promptly investigated. If found that the company acted in bad faith and the local had applied, had the experience, skills to be a reasonably good candiate for the job and was not hired then that H1b should not only be invalidated the company should be fined and banned from the H1b program for 10 years.

Also, the current "blanket L1" policy is absurd and needs to be scrapped. Very strict limits on L1 visas should be put in place. I have seen L1 visas abused even more than H1b. People come here in hordes on L1 visas to do onsite work for US clients working for companies like Infosys and Wipro.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:19 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
changes for the better are coming:

How Congress will crack down on H-1B abuse - Jan. 6, 2017

I think the following companies should be banned from operating in the US:
Infosys
Tata Consultancy Services
HCL/Wipro

The above three are known fraudsters who use every opportunity to circumvent the laws.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Could we not destroy the game of the TaTas et al by simply freeing the H1B after 90 days or such? Simply make them a free agent after a brief initial period. Then require that they leave after the initial tour? Or require they demonstrate a skill or credential level to stay on a permanent path?

Would seem to me that removing the indentured worker thing would destroy most of the Indian operations.

Might also set up regulations that US consumer or business data cannot be held off shore or if it is that allowing a data breach becomes a federal crime.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:36 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Could we not destroy the game of the TaTas et al by simply freeing the H1B after 90 days or such? Simply make them a free agent after a brief initial period. Then require that they leave after the initial tour? Or require they demonstrate a skill or credential level to stay on a permanent path?
I actually like the salary based requirement. Put your money where your mouth is. You need this guy because he is amazing? Then he surely is getting an amazing salary, right?

Once you are in, switching companies in H1B isn't really that hard... but I agree that the path to Green Card should not go through the companies. If he was good enough to get a good salary and sponsorship, you sure want him in the country.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:36 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I actually like the salary based requirement. Put your money where your mouth is. You need this guy because he is amazing? Then he surely is getting an amazing salary, right?
Agree with this. Make $100k or $90k the minimum annual salary required for H1/ L1 workers, and see lots of openings at the lower/ middle level in IT.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Let's do away with it altogether. We have enough people here taking jobs from Americans.
I've got a better idea to fix it. First, make the number of H1B visas unlimited. Attracting and retaining the top talent from around the world is key to America's long term success. In order to ensure that H1B visas actually represent high-value talent not available in the workforce, require a minimum annual salary of $150k (perhaps higher is appropriate - these should truly be extraordinary individuals). In addition to the salary requirement charge a $50k annual excise tax, provided however, the excise tax is waived with a $50k donation into the endowment of an American university. With large donations to endowments, the tech companies should be able to exert pressure on universities educate Americans to meet their needs.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 5,725 times
I am quite worried now. My husband is in the run for a faculty position in an American university and normally this would give us a H1-B cap exempt. We are from Europe and what if the university offers a job? Normally we would be eligible for a Greencard within 18 months. What kind of crackdowns is Trump going to do? A Faculty position does not give you 150k

Old 02-01-2017, 10:43 AM

11 posts, read 9,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Agree with this. Make $100k or $90k the minimum annual salary required for H1/ L1 workers, and see lots of openings at the lower/ middle level in IT.
this is already the rule and has been for a few years,
when my employer decided to sponsor me for a green card they had to get a PERM certification from the DOL to prove they didnt find a qualified applicant for that job :
https://www.uscis.gov/tools/glossary...-certification

Also they had to pay me "at least the prevailing wage" according to my job position and location... i got a small raise because of this requirement

i don't know about other companies but here i am one of the 2 only 'non americans ' . at least in IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration