Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 09:55 AM

7,630 posts, read 3,271,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbsd68 View Post
Either way the results of that test have left me more confused as to what I should get into
You just have to pick something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 12:32 PM

100 posts, read 47,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
You just have to pick something.
There's not really anything on there that doesn't require a college degree and I don't think it's a good idea for me to go back to school. If I did that I'd have to commit to at least a few years before I'd even have a career in whatever field

Old 05-24-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
There's not really anything on there that doesn't require a college degree and I don't think it's a good idea for me to go back to school. If I did that I'd have to commit to at least a few years before I'd even have a career in whatever field
Pick something that is not on that list. The list is not all encompassing. It means that you have interests that are similar to people in those occupations. It's not a competency test. It's just another piece of the puzzle of things to consider.

Your big problem is that you don't have to do anything. Trust funds kill motivation. It's a disabling device because it can cut people off at the knees. You are going to have to contrive a scenario where you decide that money is untouchable and then force yourself to devise a career.

Old 05-24-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Pick something that is not on that list. The list is not all encompassing. It means that you have interests that are similar to people in those occupations. It's not a competency test. It's just another piece of the puzzle of things to consider.

Your big problem is that you don't have to do anything. Trust funds kill motivation. It's a disabling device because it can cut people off at the knees. You are going to have to contrive a scenario where you decide that money is untouchable and then force yourself to devise a career.
I really have no idea what I'd do for a career at this point. The only marketable skill I really have is my ability as a musician but music will never pay the rent. It's never been profitable for me

Old 05-24-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I really have no idea what I'd do for a career at this point. The only marketable skill I really have is my ability as a musician but music will never pay the rent. It's never been profitable for me
How about being a Sound Engineering Technician. Or, how about a Flight Attendant if you like to travel? If you're good looking Sales can be very lucrative. You may find something flexible so you can do your music as a side gig. There's really a whole world of stuff you can do with yourself. Just don't get into self-limiting thoughts. Find what you think you would like and then research the steps to get there.

You can even take a few days at the ocean or mountains and journal about it/dream about it...

There is a book called "What Color Is Your Parachute" and when I did that in 1998ish I did all the exercises over a four day weekend and determined the direction to take my career I had just started in.

None of it is the end all be all. It's just a long life if you do not have a vocation or a way to contribute to society (even if you have money coming in to pay the bills).

Old 05-24-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
How about being a Sound Engineering Technician. Or, how about a Flight Attendant if you like to travel? If you're good looking Sales can be very lucrative. You may find something flexible so you can do your music as a side gig. There's really a whole world of stuff you can do with yourself. Just don't get into self-limiting thoughts. Find what you think you would like and then research the steps to get there.

You can even take a few days at the ocean or mountains and journal about it/dream about it...

There is a book called "What Color Is Your Parachute" and when I did that in 1998ish I did all the exercises over a four day weekend and determined the direction to take my career I had just started in.

None of it is the end all be all. It's just a long life if you do not have a vocation or a way to contribute to society (even if you have money coming in to pay the bills).
I'm not very persuasive, probably wouldn't do good in sales. I do know how to record and produce music but to become a actual producer is very difficult and it's very hard to find jobs in that field. That said it'd probably be fun to work as a producer. Right out of high school I wanted to study music production in college but I didn't have good enough grades to get into the audio production program where I went to school so that plan died very quick.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not very persuasive, probably wouldn't do good in sales. I do know how to record and produce music but to become a actual producer is very difficult and it's very hard to find jobs in that field. That said it'd probably be fun to work as a producer. Right out of high school I wanted to study music production in college but I didn't have good enough grades to get into the audio production program where I went to school so that plan died very quick.

Maybe find something you can get a certificate in that leads quickly to a job and go from there. You really write too well so that it is hard to believe you are a bad student. I think if you put yourself out there you will do better than you ever imagined.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Maybe find something you can get a certificate in that leads quickly to a job and go from there. You really write too well so that it is hard to believe you are a bad student. I think if you put yourself out there you will do better than you ever imagined.
I was always a good writer, it was ADHD that impacted my grades the most. Even in subjects I was good at I'd get bad grades just because I was horrible at doing the work on time. The only job prospect I have right now is if I worked at the guitar store near my house

Old 05-24-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I was always a good writer, it was ADHD that impacted my grades the most. Even in subjects I was good at I'd get bad grades just because I was horrible at doing the work on time. The only job prospect I have right now is if I worked at the guitar store near my house
I kind of get it. I was in a horrible accident and I have been dealing with PTSD for 18 years now. It is really weird how it affects you in different ways over time. Then, I add onto it because I fell and broke bones again (largely to my existing injury from the original accident). Mental issues are really weird to deal with.

I do have a shrink to help me negotiate these things. It is helpful to talk to someone who understands your condition that can help guide you. It is really best to work on resolving your problems and putting your past behind you and moving forward with what you have now.

So, I am guessing that doing something you are interested in is going to be key for you. If working in a guitar store is something you would enjoy then why not do it? Also, you should consider writing about what you know about music or write about something even if you just keep a journal. Pursue the music producer role if you can.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I kind of get it. I was in a horrible accident and I have been dealing with PTSD for 18 years now. It is really weird how it affects you in different ways over time. Then, I add onto it because I fell and broke bones again (largely to my existing injury from the original accident). Mental issues are really weird to deal with.

I do have a shrink to help me negotiate these things. It is helpful to talk to someone who understands your condition that can help guide you. It is really best to work on resolving your problems and putting your past behind you and moving forward with what you have now.

So, I am guessing that doing something you are interested in is going to be key for you. If working in a guitar store is something you would enjoy then why not do it? Also, you should consider writing about what you know about music or write about something even if you just keep a journal. Pursue the music producer role if you can.
I've kept a journal multiple times in the past but I always fall off the wagon tho. Idk how I could actually get into the game and make money as a producer but for now I have a nice 4 track tape machine and I've been recording some songs with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration