Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times

Advertisements

Yes, because only the United States has immigration laws! Only the United States makes you fill out paperwork!! And horror of horrors....only the United States imposes fines and penalties on those that overstay their visas and want to return
Thank god things are different in Europe...er, no. Well, I know in China its easy to ....no not there either...Africa? Probably not. The fact is, it is difficult to legally immigrate anywhere. All countries have the right to exert its sovereignity by determining just who they want to immigrate to their country. It's not fear of 'durn furriners' or whatever the hell outdated stereotype some like to use to bolster their incredibly weak position. It is about knowing who is coming, how long they are staying and will they benefit the society they wish to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Marriage to a citizen does not guaranty immediate citizenship. And please I hope your daughter doesn't marry him becuase of his situation. That would be a mistake.

I agree. It should be hard. We want hard-working, law abiding people to become a part of America, and not the illegal riff raff that comprises a good portion of the border crossings. My ex was from South Africa and he immigrated to this country legally, but it was no cakewalk. He worked his A$$ off and was often at the mercy of INS regarding the paperwork redtape. Still, he did what he had to do LEGALLY.

I have no sympathy for those who don't play by the rules. Overstaying your visa is illegal.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:37 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
p.s. I'd like to point out that I am not "anti-immigrant".

And I like foreigners.

I am however, anti-illegal-immigrant.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
p.s. I'd like to point out that I am not "anti-immigrant".

And I like foreigners.

I am however, anti-illegal-immigrant.

You should recognize that stricter immigration controls = anti-immigrant, plain and simple. So if you say "it should be hard[er] to become a US citizen" that is essentially an anti-immigrant stance.

Currently, it is all-but-impossible for "hardworking, honest, etc." immigrants to emigrate without family connections to a US citizen. However, lazy, rich, and shiftless immigrants are allowed in if they have family connections.

Likewise, anti-illegal-immigration is anti-immigration. Illegal immigrants are still immigrants.

If you want to pro-legal-immigration and anti-illegal-immigration you should consider advocating:

1. Border fences, deportation of those who hopped the border without inspection, cracking down on employers of illegal aliens; these are a specific anti-illegal-immigrant stance.

2. Employment-based immigration quotas. A more open system of legal immigration which encourages legal immigration enough to make dangerous border crossings undesirable for the majority of potential immigrants.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
You should recognize that stricter immigration controls = anti-immigrant, plain and simple. So if you say "it should be hard[er] to become a US citizen" that is essentially an anti-immigrant stance.

Currently, it is all-but-impossible for "hardworking, honest, etc." immigrants to emigrate without family connections to a US citizen. However, lazy, rich, and shiftless immigrants are allowed in if they have family connections.

Likewise, anti-illegal-immigration is anti-immigration. Illegal immigrants are still immigrants.

If you want to pro-legal-immigration and anti-illegal-immigration you should consider advocating:

1. Border fences, deportation of those who hopped the border without inspection, cracking down on employers of illegal aliens; these are a specific anti-illegal-immigrant stance.

2. Employment-based immigration quotas. A more open system of legal immigration which encourages legal immigration enough to make dangerous border crossings undesirable for the majority of potential immigrants.
Believe it or not, these are not new points to any of us here...more then most of us that post here that are anti illegal (I say most because a nutjob or two has been known to show up, spew and leave) have articulated your very points. Over and over. Again and again. Nothing new in them at all. Please read a bit before you start to judge and slap labels on people because they dare to disagree to an open border free for all.

Last edited by camping!; 06-18-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: wrd

Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
The facts run counter to your last post.

Please point out where I advocated open borders.

Read back and you'll find at least two individual posters who seem to be under the impression that $5000 and some paperwork will get you your US citizenship.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
5 grand?? Just paid to renew my wifes resident status. $545.00.
That said even if it were 5g which it isn't is it not worth it as opposed to returning to a life they hated so much that they fled to the USA to escape it?
Why do we owe them anything at all? Compare to other nations immigration and you will find ours not so bad.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Original OP states in a nutshell, "here is someone trying to do it the LEGAL (???) way but can't". At 23 he must have entered the US under his dads original work VISA and after becoming an Adult (legal age of 18/Adult) requirements, he should have made an attempt towards changing his residency status. Now, the Legal way would have been to return to his original home base and apply at the nearest American Embassy. He is trying to bypass steps 1-2-3 etc. and jumping to step 10 and ahead of the line. SORRY, I have no sympathy for him. I am a formal Alien who came to the US LEGALLY with all the i's and t's properly marked and time having to wait for the okay to enter. Staying in the country via forked paperwork and paying all kinds of taxes while here does not warrant a freebee GREEN CARD. Stefhen

Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Original OP states in a nutshell, "here is someone trying to do it the LEGAL (???) way but can't". At 23 he must have entered the US under his dads original work VISA and after becoming an Adult (legal age of 18/Adult) requirements, he should have made an attempt towards changing his residency status. Now, the Legal way would have been to return to his original home base and apply at the nearest American Embassy. He is trying to bypass steps 1-2-3 etc. and jumping to step 10 and ahead of the line. SORRY, I have no sympathy for him. I am a formal Alien who came to the US LEGALLY with all the i's and t's properly marked and time having to wait for the okay to enter. Staying in the country via forked paperwork and paying all kinds of taxes while here does not warrant a freebee GREEN CARD. Stefhen
Thank you so much for doing it the right way!

Nicolem

Old 06-18-2008, 06:29 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Steve there has to be a certain satisfaction with having made the effort and I applaud that!

Still it has to be even more frustrating for you, than for the rest of us to see those who don't come legally...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration