Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Since you ask. I will tell you of a case that I know about. A man who is already a grand father married a "mail order bride" that is half his age. He keeps her in a subservient state. He doesn't abuse her but he doesn't let her have a key to "their" house or lets her drive. Yeah for legal immigration. BTW he did have a long term girlfriend while separated but as soon as his divorce became final he dumped her for the "servant" he is married to now. Yeah for legal immigration. BTW she doesn't work so she doesn't pay any taxes. Actually he now pays less taxes because she is his dependent.

I also know of a guy (my bils roommate in college) who met a woman on a mail order bride type website. She was an MD in russia, he works with computers, they met - married and here they are over ten years later with two kids. She's happy, he's happy and they are a family.

I also know of a guy (father of my dds friend in first grade) who worked in Poland, met a Polish girl, married her and had 4 kids in rapid succession, beat her and threatened her with INS if she should leave him. She left, and is doing fine on her own.

I guess the moral of the story is that some US men are complete and utter azzhats that should be banned from procreating.

And how does this relate to illegal immigration, btw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 11:52 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And how does this relate to illegal immigration, btw?
It relates to the misconception that to be a legal immigrant you have to prove your "value". You can be a highly educated person and not have a legal way to immigrate but if you are willing to marry a loser that you don't love you are in. There are many illegals with degrees doing manual labor specially from eastern Europe.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:01 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
It relates to the misconception that to be a legal immigrant you have to prove your "value". You can be a highly educated person and not have a legal way to immigrate but if you are willing to marry a loser that you don't love you are in. There are many illegals with degrees doing manual labor specially from eastern Europe.
Unfortunately, due to our sagging economy, there are many degreed U.S. citizens who are also doing manual labor. Sad, isn’t it?

Old 06-21-2008, 12:10 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, Suzie, while your sentiments are understandable, in the area of marriage, that's pretty much outside any argument. Who loves who, and who is a "loser", and WHY people get married, is WAY beyond any legal controls...thank God !!

Realize that probably 95% of all the human beings who ever lived, married people they "didn't love"...not in our modern-day understanding of the word.

Why did these people marry?...Security...Companionship..Sex...."Family" ....Money....Social status...to meet 'social expectations'?....to have a 'partner in life'?...who knows?.....but "love" often came later..or not at all.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 17,309 times
Quote:
Since you ask. I will tell you of a case that I know about. A man who is already a grand father married a "mail order bride" that is half his age. He keeps her in a subservient state. He doesn't abuse her but he doesn't let her have a key to "their" house or lets her drive. Yeah for legal immigration. BTW he did have a long term girlfriend while separated but as soon as his divorce became final he dumped her for the "servant" he is married to now. Yeah for legal immigration. BTW she doesn't work so she doesn't pay any taxes. Actually he now pays less taxes because she is his dependent.

Hi Suzie.
First off, "mail order bride" services are illegal. Anyone who pays a fee to meet a foreign lady, will not be able to bring her to the USA, even if they get married.
It never ceases to amaze me when American women get so upset when an older American man gets married to a foreign lady much younger and better looking than he is. You call men a "looser" if they choose to marry a young beautiful woman, that respects their husband. I tried to date, American women, after my first wife left me. All I found was superficial gold diggers, that wanted to "wear the pants" in the relationship. And I wasn't even attracted to these women, because ladies half my age are what really turn me on. So, I started looking for a foreign lady to befriend via the net. I found several very attractive, very young ladies, that were all above and beyond anything I could find in the US dating scene. I made my pick, because she really stole my heart through chatting (I was, and still am amazed with her intelligence, and wit, while speaking in a newly learned 2nd language). Once I flew to her country and met her, we fell in love very quickly. We got married, and now my first child is due in Aug. She is very "old fashioned" compared to the average American woman. I'm currently paying for her to finish her education, and also helping her whole family live a better life.
I've still managed to fit the bill as the "looser" that couldn't get a date, and many have accused me of getting a "mail order bride". While I'm in my 40's and my wife is just in her 20's, doesn't mean anything to me. Her father is still old enough to be my father, and we have more in common than I did with my ex-wife that was only a couple of years younger than me. One thing you must remember, is sometimes men continue to become more attractive as the years wear on, unlike most women, that peak in their 20's. Just think of how many men that stray from their marriage to be with younger ladies? It just makes more sense to me, to marry the young girl to begin with.
I'm not into "controlling" my wife. But I can see how a naive young foreign bride could easily be mistreated by a cruel husband. She literally treats me like a king, and hangs on my every word, and follows my every decision, without question. AHHHH Yes, life is good, once I got the courage to leave the American women to pull their gold digging power trips on some other LOOSER.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:02 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of the World View Post
Hi Suzie.
First off, "mail order bride" services are illegal. Anyone who pays a fee to meet a foreign lady, will not be able to bring her to the USA, even if they get married.
It never ceases to amaze me when American women get so upset when an older American man gets married to a foreign lady much younger and better looking than he is. You call men a "looser" if they choose to marry a young beautiful woman, that respects their husband. I tried to date, American women, after my first wife left me. All I found was superficial gold diggers, that wanted to "wear the pants" in the relationship. And I wasn't even attracted to these women, because ladies half my age are what really turn me on. So, I started looking for a foreign lady to befriend via the net. I found several very attractive, very young ladies, that were all above and beyond anything I could find in the US dating scene. I made my pick, because she really stole my heart through chatting (I was, and still am amazed with her intelligence, and wit, while speaking in a newly learned 2nd language). Once I flew to her country and met her, we fell in love very quickly. We got married, and now my first child is due in Aug. She is very "old fashioned" compared to the average American woman. I'm currently paying for her to finish her education, and also helping her whole family live a better life.
I've still managed to fit the bill as the "looser" that couldn't get a date, and many have accused me of getting a "mail order bride". While I'm in my 40's and my wife is just in her 20's, doesn't mean anything to me. Her father is still old enough to be my father, and we have more in common than I did with my ex-wife that was only a couple of years younger than me. One thing you must remember, is sometimes men continue to become more attractive as the years wear on, unlike most women, that peak in their 20's. Just think of how many men that stray from their marriage to be with younger ladies? It just makes more sense to me, to marry the young girl to begin with.
I'm not into "controlling" my wife. But I can see how a naive young foreign bride could easily be mistreated by a cruel husband. She literally treats me like a king, and hangs on my every word, and follows my every decision, without question. AHHHH Yes, life is good, once I got the courage to leave the American women to pull their gold digging power trips on some other LOOSER.
Ooookay.....Have to admit, that you were trolling for a 'very young lady' creeps me out just a tad.

Nonetheless, you and anyone else certainly has the right to marry whom they wish, here or abroad.

Still, let me give you some advice from a formerly hot young thing now looking into the dark evil maw of her forties......
Pregnancy and time do horrible things to a womans body. Especially pregnancy. Even just one pregnancy. Like men growing hairs out of their ears and other unmentionable places once they hit forty (and I am sure you know what I mean) So it goes with women of any age, of any ethnicity and of any socio-economic background after experiencing life and pregnancy. Just a word from the wise.....

Last edited by camping!; 06-21-2008 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: q

Old 06-22-2008, 06:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Guess I am only half a looser. I married an asian woman who is exactly the same age as I am. She is from Thailand. No I didn't find her working in a rice field, or prostituting herself. She was an executive in a large development corporation. But alas we did meet on-line. She drives, she works and pays taxes. She also came here legally after about a 5 month wait. It cost about 1200.00 in application fees. The only real challenge was all the redundant paper work.
It is a very common theme to assume all foreign brides are mail order former prostitutes or peasants.
What is the US divorce rate? Compare that to the divorce rate of those who have found a wife else where. My wife and I are best friends, partners and equals. She has never asked me to spend a dime on her family. She is for me the perfect wife. Smart, conservative, and without dout the funniest woman I have ever met. She like myself is less than impressed with many of the American women she has met. Foul mouth, lewd and complain about everything. NO Not all and in fact not even most US women but enough to make a very bad impression. Upon coming here my wife was shocked by the following:
1. Why do we make our old people work?
2. Young adults swearing in public without shame especially women.
3. Wives bashing their husbands to anyone that would listen.
4. LOL The lack of trees in my yard. 8 acres and no trees. She has since changed that. We now have 6 trees.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:32 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Guess I am only half a looser. I married an asian woman who is exactly the same age as I am. She is from Thailand. No I didn't find her working in a rice field, or prostituting herself. She was an executive in a large development corporation. But alas we did meet on-line. She drives, she works and pays taxes. She also came here legally after about a 5 month wait. It cost about 1200.00 in application fees. The only real challenge was all the redundant paper work.
It is a very common theme to assume all foreign brides are mail order former prostitutes or peasants.
What is the US divorce rate? Compare that to the divorce rate of those who have found a wife else where. My wife and I are best friends, partners and equals. She has never asked me to spend a dime on her family. She is for me the perfect wife. Smart, conservative, and without dout the funniest woman I have ever met. She like myself is less than impressed with many of the American women she has met. Foul mouth, lewd and complain about everything. NO Not all and in fact not even most US women but enough to make a very bad impression. Upon coming here my wife was shocked by the following:1. Why do we make our old people work?
2. Young adults swearing in public without shame especially women.
3. Wives bashing their husbands to anyone that would listen.
4. LOL The lack of trees in my yard. 8 acres and no trees. She has since changed that. We now have 6 trees.

I am responding and I hope that you don't think that I am being disrespectful- I am just trying to share how I feel about what you wrote. I am sorry that it seems you have to fight some negative sterotypes because you married a woman that is not from America but I don't think bashing American women is the answer. While I am glad that you and your wife are happy- sorry but not all American women are lewd, fowl mouthed and complain about everything. What does that have to do with illegal or legal immigration? I know you said "not all" "but enough to make a very bad impression". Then in the other sentence you wrote"many"? I for one am nothing like your wife's opinion of American women and I know plenty of American women who would never behave like that. Does she watch too much Jerry Springer or one of those other shows that only show the scum of society?

Also-the high US divorce rate has just as much to do with men as it does with women. I agree that the divorce rate in this country in disturbing. I feel many people would rather divorce than work out problems and be true to "for better or for worse". That being said, I also know that there are people who are abused, cheated on, etc that have a right to divorce. I also know in other countries women do not have a right to divorce even if they are cheated on and abused. So-while I think it is overused in this country-I also am thankful we don't live in a country where divorce is illegal or a woman has no right to end a marriage of abuse. My parents have been married almost 42 years and my inlaws were married over 45 before my fil passed away. While I do know friends who have divorced, I know many who have been going strong in their first marriage for many years.

Also-we don't "make" old people work. It is up to people to plan for retirement. Also-many "old people" enjoy working. Yes some have to work but not all. I already pay way too much in taxes without having to 100% support non-working people on top of illegal aliens.

Nicolem-"a happily married, smart, conservative funny American woman who has been married to her best friend, equal and partner for almost 14 years"

Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I am responding and I hope that you don't think that I am being disrespectful- I am just trying to share how I feel about what you wrote. I am sorry that it seems you have to fight some negative sterotypes because you married a woman that is not from America but I don't think bashing American women is the answer. While I am glad that you and your wife are happy- sorry but not all American women are lewd, fowl mouthed and complain about everything. What does that have to do with illegal or legal immigration? I know you said "not all" "but enough to make a very bad impression". Then in the other sentence you wrote"many"? I for one am nothing like your wife's opinion of American women and I know plenty of American women who would never behave like that. Does she watch too much Jerry Springer or one of those other shows that only show the scum of society?

Also-the high US divorce rate has just as much to do with men as it does with women. I agree that the divorce rate in this country in disturbing. I feel many people would rather divorce than work out problems and be true to "for better or for worse". That being said, I also know that there are people who are abused, cheated on, etc that have a right to divorce. I also know in other countries women do not have a right to divorce even if they are cheated on and abused. So-while I think it is overused in this country-I also am thankful we don't live in a country where divorce is illegal or a woman has no right to end a marriage of abuse. My parents have been married almost 42 years and my inlaws were married over 45 before my fil passed away. While I do know friends who have divorced, I know many who have been going strong in their first marriage for many years.

Also-we don't "make" old people work. It is up to people to plan for retirement. Also-many "old people" enjoy working. Yes some have to work but not all. I already pay way too much in taxes without having to 100% support non-working people on top of illegal aliens.

Nicolem-"a happily married, smart, conservative funny American woman who has been married to her best friend, equal and partner for almost 14 years"
My wifes impression of American women comes from 2 main sourses.
1. Walking around in public. ie the mall or what ever.
2. We work in a factory.
What she has to do with illegal immigration? The topic is that its hard to become a legal resident. That is a lie a falsehood and a myth. My wife is proof that legal residency is not that hard to do.
No not all US women are rude crude or lewd. But many are and it is condoned by their families as well as the media. In short we are in short supply of Parents who act like parents instead of their childs friend.
Old people working was an impression she got in her first month here. Walmart, McDonalds etc. I explained to her that they work because they planned poorly for their retirement. In Thailand it is more common for children to take their parents into their homes when parents retire. It is without doubt a culture difference. Children in Thailand by far are more respectful of their elders than in the USA. Thai women are more conservative than American women. This is a fact. No this does not equate to servitude. It equates to being less extroverted in public.
Example in all my trips to Thailand I have never seen a Thai mom scream at her children in public. Not once not ever and yet the children behave.
I have never seen a couple argue in public. I have never heard teens swearing in front of their elders. Yes I learned the thai swear words I am a sailor after all. LOL
I don't feel all or most US women are bad. I feel that we are losing what once made us proud. Traditional mothers are now looked down upon instead of being celebrated for their sacrifice. Our children reflect the lack of parental guidence we used to have.
My original post was in response to the constant stereotyping of foreign brides. Its as though american women view foreign women as dull subservent slaves, and the men that marry them as sex addicted perverts. No doubt some of the above may fall into these catagories. Too many perhaps. I find it ironic that many men go to asia believing that asian women are quiet, docile unopinionated drones born with some instinct of super sexual abilities. LOL Nothing is further from the truth. Quite simply they are more consevetive than their American counter parts.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The topic is that its hard to become a legal resident. That is a lie a falsehood and a myth. My wife is proof that legal residency is not that hard to do.
Excuse me but marriage is the only way to "easily" immigrate. What about people who are already married? Or men who don't find a US spouse as easily? Or women who don't want to marry just to come to the US? If all the illegals had a way to come legally they would have done so. After all they usually pay a lot of money to the coyotes or risk their lives crossing through the dessert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration