Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,419,148 times

Advertisements

LONDON - Most people in major European countries and the United States believe unemployed immigrants should be asked to leave, a poll showed on Monday, indicating growing fears over competition for scarce jobs.
The FT/Harris polls published by the Financial Times showed more than three-quarters of Italians and Britons and a majority in France, Germany, Spain and the United States would support their governments asking immigrants to leave.

The results of the poll suggest rising unemployment could push the issue of immigration up the political agenda in Europe and may boost support for far-right parties.

Most Europeans, Americans want jobless immigrants to leave: Poll (http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/regina/story.html?id=1394810 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,584,200 times
I want all ILLEGAL ALIENS to leave. Immigrants are by definition here legally and they can stay if they wish.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 PM

31 posts, read 117,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I want all ILLEGAL ALIENS to leave. Immigrants are by definition here legally and they can stay if they wish.
I did not see this in USCIS website, but have read in my immigration lawyers website...
Legal immigrants (H1B's) have about 3 months to find a "same or similar" (this is not defined clearly by USCIS) job if the lose their job. If they do not find a new job/sponsor they are required to leave.
But if they are on EAD, they can stay here legally without a job till USCIS makes a decision on their GC application.
But to get EAD, that's a whole new story....

Come here legally....pay taxes...obey the rules...no dui charges...no criminal charges...and the your priority date is current (which is about 10 years if the immigrant is from countries like India)

I hope to discuss about legal issues without mixing it illegal, please votes in the below thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/immigration/591024-separate-area-forum-discuss-legal-immigration.html

Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,288,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
im·mi·grant (ĭm'ĭ-grənt) Pronunciation Key
n.
  1. A person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another.
  2. A plant or animal that establishes itself in an area where it previously did not exist.
adj. Of or relating to immigrants or the act of immigrating.

huh?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,345,022 times
Illegal Immigrant: one who slithers over here without prior legal authorization.

Illegal: prohibited by law.

Most know an illegal, when picked up is only charged with a misdemeanor. But did
you know.. if you check federal immigration laws, the "ACT" in itself of crossing our
border illegally is actually a felony. After-the-fact, getting picked up they are only
ever charged with a misdemeanor.. why? Federal law states the "Act", "action" of
some who crosses the border without prior legal consent is commiting a felony.
I do not understand why the felony charge is not being upheld.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:43 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,442,712 times
People, please stay on topic instead of engaging in name calling or the thread will be closed

Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,707,107 times
Since the Regan administration, the immigration quotas have been severly relaxed. Becoming a U.S. citizen is too easy, and the high influx of immigrants is to blame for the high unemployment rate. Our nation has not really had a good economy since the 1960 when the National Origins Act was in effect. It was when LBJ dismantled it, immigration went haywire and our prisons started filling up.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM

31 posts, read 117,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Since the Regan administration, the immigration quotas have been severly relaxed. Becoming a U.S. citizen is too easy, and the high influx of immigrants is to blame for the high unemployment rate. Our nation has not really had a good economy since the 1960 when the National Origins Act was in effect. It was when LBJ dismantled it, immigration went haywire and our prisons started filling up.
I wish it was, if you a LEGAL immigrant from countries like India/China, for GreenCard (Not citizenship) it takes roughly about 14 years. How do I know?? I've been waiting for 11years!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...migration.html

Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 PM

147 posts, read 212,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
im·mi·grant (ĭm'ĭ-grənt) Pronunciation Key

n.
  1. A person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another.
  2. A plant or animal that establishes itself in an area where it previously did not exist.
adj. Of or relating to immigrants or the act of immigrating.

huh?

What's the definition of ILLEGAL immigrant??

Old 03-20-2009, 05:21 PM

147 posts, read 212,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
Illegal Immigrant: one who slithers over here without prior legal authorization.

Illegal: prohibited by law.

Most know an illegal, when picked up is only charged with a misdemeanor. But did
you know.. if you check federal immigration laws, the "ACT" in itself of crossing our
border illegally is actually a felony. After-the-fact, getting picked up they are only
ever charged with a misdemeanor.. why? Federal law states the "Act", "action" of
some who crosses the border without prior legal consent is commiting a felony.
I do not understand why the felony charge is not being upheld.

That's right. Let you or I break a federal law. What happens to people who don't pay their taxes? They don't get food stamps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration