Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,558 times

Advertisements

I know most of this post is from more than a year ago, and I can only hope that Nomad has been able to move by now, but I wanted to add my two sense, as I lived in Slatington for about 5 years or so off and on.

Slatington is not a place you would typically choose to live if you research it first. My parents moved there when I was about 16. The school district sucks. It's full of delinquents & druggies. The curriculum is not up to par, and neither are the test scores. If you get out & away from downtown, it can be nice though. Of course, if you have children, you'd still have the problem with the schools. My parents live away from Main St., however, there have still been a few issues even with living there. My car was broken into & my stereo was stolen at one point. At another time, a car full of rowdy teens aggressively followed me to my parents house (I had my baby in the car too) b/c they were unable to pass me on one of the roads leading into Walnutport/Slatington.

The quality of people who live up there is low. I'd definitely stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 AM

99 posts, read 338,360 times
You sound like an extremely reasonable person. Go to your landlord with your well documented list of well grounded complaints. Every lease has a clause that stipulates your right to peace and quiet. Tell him you want out of this lease. You have every right to move. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times
I moved here recently because my boyfriend lives here. To tell you the truth it a lot more quiet than were i used to live (Hazleton). I did have a cop follow me from my house to turkey hill when i first got here, BUT it was understandable cuz at the time i had a blue mohawk and was a new face to the town. No matter were you go theres always people that are like the people you described. Druggies drunks and annoying college/high school kids. We all have annoying, noisy or loud neighbors. But im sorry to hear about your car i personally dont mind it here. As noted they do have nice parades here. I just try to keep to myself and stay out of the drama .

Old 10-30-2014, 07:16 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
This is true of many small towns/rural areas nowadays. The industries that used to support them are few to nothing so they stagnate and poverty increases. Honestly most people are better off living in an urban area with an economy and growth. It's definitely a gamble moving to a small town/rural area.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:58 PM

657 posts, read 695,496 times
I live near Slatington and although I can't claim to know it extremely well, I can say that it looks pretty charming. Yes, it does appear that most folks are local, but so far everyone seems friendly to me.

I am an outsider, and am not white either. I've been to a few businesses there, the people are friendly. And there many more outsiders, including various hispanics, from places as far as New York.

The town does appear to have a rough patch with the collapse of the coal industry;however, I doubt that is the issue causing the depressed economy.

I moved to the Lehigh Valley 3 months ago and can tell you, this state is a mess when it comes to taxes. I pay property taxes, sales tax, school district taxes, city taxes. The state is a total mess and it won't go away until the people demand this looting to stop. That's the reason these cities and towns don't have an economy, the profits are quickly squandered. This state is pretty much the same as New jersey and new york, disasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley