Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 PM

714 posts, read 1,539,244 times

Advertisements

I live in Hamburg and I am fired up about the shooting at Polo Club Apartments. First of all does anyone know who allowed the Section 8 apartments to be placed right in the middle of a nice area of town? My guess is that T Issacs had something to do with it...only a guess.

The parking lots looks like a gang invasion and after the shooting it just really makes me mad that they exist there.

Also, is anyone doing anything to get Stein out of office I would love to do participate in any event that would get her closer to being out of office? anyone running agaisnt her so I can donate to their campaign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
There was also a home invasion of Chinoe Road where the home owner has tied up and his Lexus was stolen

Police Find Car Stolen During Home Invasion

Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 PM

See this is awful.....Our gang activity has gone crazy....why would K Stein block ices efforts to train our police force! urrr

Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
The way section 8 works is that a Landlord applies to be able to accept Section 8 tenants. Has nothing to do with Teresa Issacs. Section 8 is subsidized by the government. The gov sends a check for part or all of the rent to the landlord depending on the tenants income level and how many dependents. Just like with everything in life, there are good people on section 8 and bad people on Section 8.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM

It was just a guess about Isaacs, but yeah she did support it......in summary.....

The next report was provided by Mr. Tom Howard, Deputy Executive Director, Office of Financial Management (OFM). Mr. Howard presented two new bond issue reports: Kentucky Housing Corporation (KHC) Conduit MultiFamily Housing Mortgage Revenue Bonds, 2005 Series A (Gleneagles Apartment project in Lexington)(AMT). The proceeds from this bond issue, $11,060,000, will be used to provide conduit financing for a new multifamily housing complex to be known as Gleneagles Apartments in Lexington.

Representative Damron asked if this project had been presented to the Lexington-Fayette County Government. Ms. Lori Flanery, Legal Counsel, KHC, said they had received a letter of support from Mayor isaacs, and had also notified the representative and the Senator representing where the project is to be located.

CAPITAL PROJECTS AND BOND OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE Minutes May 17, 2005

Futhermore go to this site...type in Polo Club Blvd...arrow up and look at where all of the crime dots are.....

http://crimewatch.lfucg.com/crimeFrames.asp

So you find some good people in low income housing, but mostly, you find trouble makers...sorry it's true...

I am so disappointed they put this crime ridden place right in the middle of Hamburg...yuck

Old 09-12-2008, 08:07 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
I think you are still confusing accepting Section 8 tenants with how the place was financed. Ultimately, accepting Section 8 tenants is a decision of the landlord.

I don't like what goes on over there either. I guess my only concern is that I find people don't really know what "Section 8" means. They tend to brand all Section 8 tenants as lazy trash, or associate them with crime. My mother just retired from a non-profit that she started to provide safe housing to the poor. She has built more houses east of Lexington that Habitat for Humanity has in Lexington. She managed aprtments that accepted Section 8 tenants. I worked with last summer when she was short staffed. I met a lot of section 8 people. Most of them lack a good enough eduaction to get a job paying more than minimum wage. Most don't understand how to manage their money, so they get taken by buy-here-pay-here car lots and other cons. Several were disabled or mentally ill. Most of the people I met were very kind and wouldn't want to live in Gleneagles Apartments either!!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:59 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,604 times
I agree with Lexpert. . a lot of people don't fully understand section 8. The people that get it cannot have a criminal background, there are standards. However, the people living with them may be shady, I agree. I would not want this situation in my neighborhood, but all people section 8 are not garbage either. It makes for a bad situation.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:17 PM

46 posts, read 252,390 times
Stephanie, you seem to be upset that Lexington has Section 8 housing. Or are you upset that it occurs where you don't want it? Are you one of those people who want to keep the under-privileged only in certain parts of town? Some of the tenants in these apartments may be those who work in the service jobs located in Hamburg. Lord forbid that they should have to take a cab or bus ride across town to get to work.

If you are worried about gangs taking over the apartments, with their fancy cars and tricked out wheels, these things cost big bucks so I doubt that they qualify for Section 8 housing. Gang activity occurs in all sections of Lexington(and Central Ky) and can only continue as long as the general population turns a blind eye to it. As long as people retreat into their houses whenever something starts to offend them the offensive activity will continue.

Lastly, I think your "Southern Belle" bias is showing again, and Lexington gave that up years ago.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 PM

I don't think that all people in Section 8 are garbage, but Yes I do think that a lot of them are simply out to be lazy and love causing trouble. I have a girlfriend that has a sister that lived there when it opened (gelneagles). She had a hefty criminal record and they accepted her right away. I understand that some people really do use the system to get on their feet, but lets face it, they are few and far between.

And yes, I understand that the owner of the property has to apply and it is their decision....with that said it doesn't make it any more fun.

I would love it if there were no section 8 living...your right...futhermore I would love it if it were not located right in front of a fantastic new neighborhood. That location couldn't be worse...right off the interstate for visitors to see, and right in front a newer beautiful neighborhood...ridiculous.

If anyone thinks you can't get Section 8 without having a criminal background...that's not true. Maybe they call it something else at Gleneagles "assisted" or something like that...but the girl I know that used to live there said it was awful and it is in fact based on your income...tell me...how would she qualify considering she was fresh out of jail herself?

Just because someone has fancy "wheels" doesn't mean that they are not living off the gov. seriously...do you really think that? I was in Wal-Mart in Hamburg night before last about 6:30. The girl in front of me was well dressed, trendy, toes painted, nails done, Gucci purse (it was fake, but they are still $50), etc....her "man" had gold rings all over his fingers and designer jean dropped to his butt. She checked out with a cart FULL of stuff. I wasn't paying attention, but I looked up and it said her bill was $34.61. When she left I said that woman is awesome, I can't believe she got such a great deal...I need to start cutting coupons...I said to the cashier...I can't believe she got that for $34 dollars...she said we'll that was after her food. At the time I didn't really know what she meant...I got home and was telling a friend about it. She said to me duh...the gov. paid for some of her food.

Whew....lightbulb. RIDICULOUS...she had all kinds of name brands drinks, Gatorade in the fancy carrying cases, root beer in the fancy bottles, candy....RIDICULOUS. I saw nothing that made me think she was attempting to get only what she needed. I saw junk and lots of it. My total was $59 dollars and I had equate (wal-mart brand), I buy generic most everything...so yeah...the qualifications for gov. assistance...bs

Gang activity has risen greatly in Lexington.....and I am not talking about Gleneagles...and it seems that our police force is doing the best they can with the limited powers they are given.

This is turning political so I will stop. I believe in Welfare only for those who need it and don't abuse it......I don't like living near Section 8, or low income housing. I do think in relation to illigal immigrants that it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that K. Stein had the nerve to block our police from getting trained to ask for citizenship..since a lot of the gang activity has many latino members. She said that people would be offended......we'll guess what...they offend me each and everyday

your little Southern Belle.......

Old 09-13-2008, 11:48 AM

270 posts, read 934,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I think you are still confusing accepting Section 8 tenants with how the place was financed. Ultimately, accepting Section 8 tenants is a decision of the landlord.

I don't like what goes on over there either. I guess my only concern is that I find people don't really know what "Section 8" means. They tend to brand all Section 8 tenants as lazy trash, or associate them with crime. My mother just retired from a non-profit that she started to provide safe housing to the poor. She has built more houses east of Lexington that Habitat for Humanity has in Lexington. She managed aprtments that accepted Section 8 tenants. I worked with last summer when she was short staffed. I met a lot of section 8 people. Most of them lack a good enough eduaction to get a job paying more than minimum wage. Most don't understand how to manage their money, so they get taken by buy-here-pay-here car lots and other cons. Several were disabled or mentally ill. Most of the people I met were very kind and wouldn't want to live in Gleneagles Apartments either!!!!
LEXpert, I know your mom very well, and you're right that she has done much to change the face of affordable housing east of Lexington. It's a shame that there is still so much misunderstanding about the need for and importance of providing decent affordable housing for lower-income people -- and I think its good that the location of this housing is being de-concentrated from traditionally poorer neighborhoods.

There are bad people that live everywhere, in all parts of Lexington, and to place the blame squarely on a particular class of people just seems unfair. Lastly, let me say that I think Kathy Stein is one of the few elected officials that actually stands up for underprivileged people; people who typically don't have a voice in the legislative process.

Obviously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it just makes me cringe a little bit when the mud starts being thrown -- from either side of the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area