Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:07 PM

134 posts, read 633,984 times

Advertisements

Hello. I will be moving to Little Rock from my home town Helena in Arkansas Delta across the MS River from Clarksdale, MS. I will be a deaf full-time student attending UALR. Believe it or not, I have been living in Arkansas my whole life but have never been to Little Rock. As a small town kid, my life have been pretty much limited due to lack of big city amenties in the Delta and no deaf community in Helena. In my opinion, I can speak well overall but few people still don't understand me though especially the ones who are impatient.

How is the deaf community in Little Rock? Do you think I will have a great college experience at UALR making friends with both hearing and deaf people easily? Are the people friendly in the city? Can a liberal person with lefty views be happy in Little Rock?

Of course, I know I will have to visit Little Rock myself but I still would love to hear the opinions from the residents about Little Rock. Anything you have to say will greatly be appreciated. Take care and have a great evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 PM

19 posts, read 103,788 times
Congratulations, Mitch....and I think you'll do fine in LR. Yes, people are friendly, and the town suffers no shortage of "lefty liberals." As I'm sure you know, Arkansas School for the Deaf is located in LR. You might try contacting them for some leads on social groups, deaf-friendly businesses, etc.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Mitch, I think you will do very well. There is so much to do and see - it will be a new world for you! I think maggiemae's suggestion is very good as far as contacting the deaf school. It is on Markham Street at N. Woodrow.

To me, there is some measure of impatience in Little Rock - I'm now in Russellville after having lived my entire life in LR - the city is just growing so much. But most people are friendly and welcoming - and yes, honey, this is where Clinton came from...the liberals are definitely there!

Once you get your bearings on the city, you will get around just fine. Markham (east/west) and Main (north/south) Streets are your baseline roads....most of the city addresses run from this intersection. You will find your main roads - east/west I would say Cantrell, Markham, I-630/Chenal, 12th St., Asher, Col. Glenn - and north/south outside of downtown would be Allsop Park Road/Kavanaugh/Van Buren, University, Mississippi, Reservoir, Shackleford, Pleasant Valley, Rodney Parham (which actually is kind of weird and runs n/s at one point and e/w at another), and Sam Peck. That kind of encompasses the major living areas - when you get out further west your street markers would change some.

Where will you be living, or do you know yet?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:32 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
Quote:
Are the people friendly in the city? Can a liberal person with lefty views be happy in Little Rock?
1) People in LR tend to be friendly, but in a reserved manner. It's not a tiny town, so don't expect people to walk up to you on the street, slap your back, and welcome you to town. But if you make the effort to get out and meet people, you will meet some of the finest people on earth, imo.

2) Yes, as a liberal-type, you will be just fine. I'm 75% Green, 25% Democrat, as far to the left as you can get without falling over the edge, and I had no problem whatsoever. I actually met people who were so far to the left that they had fallen over the edge! Really, as I wrote in point 1, the people in LR are nice, and as far as I could tell, they were quite tolerant of people with other viewpoints.

Can you tell I like LR?

Best wishes in your move.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Talking About Little Rock

Thank you for all the comments about Little Rock (LR)! Based on the comments, I like what I heard and LR sounds like a great city to me. When I go visiting LR in Mid-July for UALR Orientation, I will be sure to check Arkansas School for the Deaf for any information on both social events and deaf-friendly businesses in the area. Of course, I know I will have to make an effort to get out and make friends, which would be no problem for me. Since LR is not a tiny town, I know I can't expect everyone to slap on my back and make me feel welcomed. With LR being a liberal city and the home of Clinton, I will make sure I get the chance to visit the Clinton Presidential Library and be involved in campaigning to support Arkansas Democratic Party. It would probably diss my family (in conservative, Helena, Ark.) off but I don't care. LOL Well, anyway, I am not sure where in LR I will be living at but I have these following choices: living on UALR campus or living with other students/roommates in several fair-priced West Little Rock apartment complexes such as Avondale, Governor's Park, & Briarwood that I found in the ads. Based on my research over the Internet, I am also very happy with Little Rock having several Aquatic Centers for my love of swimming. I am looking forward to my LR move; any further comments about LR would be wonderful to hear too.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:52 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,173 times
Check out the College of Education once you get to UALR. It houses the department for ASL & interpreter education courses. If you go through the department (bottom floor of the Admin building where Records/Registration, Financial Aid, etc. is located), they often have information for socials, gatherings, & other events within the Deaf community posted on the bulletin boards there. Some of it may overlap with information you obtain from ASD but it wouldn't hurt to look.

G'luck!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:15 PM

Smile About Little Rock Neighborhood and Deaf Community

Thank you for informing me about checking out the postings at Arkansas School for the Deaf for further deaf community events. I will keep in my mind to check it out when I move to Little Rock from my hometown Helena, Ark. on August 1st.

I recently got an apartment at South Rodney Parham Road Area (zip code 72205). I think it's part of West Little Rock. It is not a town but it is an expression used by most people. Although I got the apartment, I never got the chance to check out the neighborhood. I was in hurry plus I liked what I saw from the apartment complex, it was gorgeous with courtyard and nice swimming pool; my first month rent/deposit was fair-priced plus it is not that far from UALR so I am very happy about that.

Does anyone know the zip code area of 72205? (South Rodney Parham Road Area before you get on Interstate 630) I want to ask if it's a good area in Little Rock without worrying about high crime rate/drug activities/robbery in the apartment or even my truck.

Any information on my neighborhood and its statistics on crime rate and safety will be very helpful. Take care and have a great day!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:54 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Did you get in Briarwood or Governor's Park? West Little Rock is now pretty much further west than south Rodney Parham.......it's a nice neighborhood. I would say Governor's Park is probably more well maintained, but it's been years since I was in either of them.

Lock your doors well, though.....the basketball court and park across the street are usually just full of basketball players, but occasionally the crud gets in there. Of course, common sense will tell you to lock your doors anywhere...that was probably a dumb statement! Car stuff is kind of tricky - park under the lights. For some reason, with the courtyard statement I tend to think you are at Governor's Park? If you're at Briarwood, you'll have a lot of young people there...not too sure about the mixture at GP.

72205 encompasses a lot of area, from about Stift Station (Markham and Kavanaugh) west to heaven only knows where, probably around Shackleford, and Markham north up to Kavanaugh - takes in all of Hillcrest, I believe...dont' worry, you're okay - and good luck to you with school and all!

Old 07-15-2007, 09:55 AM

15 posts, read 57,957 times
I lived in LR- interesting place- I owned two condos off of Cantrell and Resevoir-- make sure you stay 'west' for sure ! LR is not that bad- I moved from LR to Memphis for a transfer, in some ways LR is far better than Memphis ! come to think of it, hmm...better in several ways maybe

Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 PM

Smile About the Neighborhood

Hello! Thanks for your comments about the neighborhood. Of course, I always lock the doors for my own safety and protection especially for a deaf individual like me. Yes, I will be moving to Briarwood Apartments on South Rodney Parham Road (on Aug. 1st) before you get on Interstate 630.

Is the crime rate really that bad in zip code 72205 Area? I thought 72205 Area was part of or very close to West Little Rock. With my excellent common sense, I think I will do just fine and I will park my truck under the light closer to my apartment building. I already checked out the apartment complex. Based on what I saw there and with Briarwood providing an alarm security system, I am very satisfied. Of course, I also checked Governor's Park Apartments out but it was a little out of my price range.

By the way, I am very happy to hear that Little Rock is much better than Memphis in some ways because I heard all terrible stories from my cousin that used to live almost all over Memphis. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area